Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Spiral impulse generator = rolled cap Blumlein induction coil!

first  4 5 6 7
Move Thread LAN_403
Proud Mary
Thu Sept 02 2010, 09:24PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
The type I was interested in were the true transmission line VIGs, which can have rise times <10ns, according to the literature. With no means of investigation in the time domain, I looked at some of the more accessible properties of these interesting devices.
Patrick
Thu Sept 02 2010, 09:36PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
Proud Mary wrote ...

....which can have rise times <10ns....
wholly crap!
Tesladownunder
Fri Sept 03 2010, 12:41AM
Tesladownunder Registered Member #10 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 09:45AM
Patrick wrote ...

Proud Mary wrote ...

....which can have rise times <10ns....
wholly crap!
Holy crap or wholly crap convey rather different meanings.

I have an analog storage CRO to 100Mhz so can do something to 10ns period theoretically. I wouldnt like to put 30kV anything with a 10ns risetime anywhere near my CRO without some very clever protection circuitry that can respond to this speed and beyond. Not sure that a simple spark gap will cut it.
This generator has now been put away in one of over 100 boxes continaing various projects stacked in my shed, shipping container and lounge....

Patrick
Fri Sept 03 2010, 01:45AM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
Tesladownunder wrote ...

Holy crap or wholly crap convey rather different meanings.
cheesey

Tesladownunder wrote ...

I have an analog storage CRO to 100Mhz so can do something to 10ns period theoretically. I wouldnt like to put 30kV anything with a 10ns risetime anywhere near my CRO without some very clever protection circuitry that can respond to this speed and beyond. Not sure that a simple spark gap will cut it.
This generator has now been put away in one of over 100 boxes continaing various projects stacked in my shed, shipping container and lounge....

I could almost be certain your scope would survive if we did this in person, however if you live in australia and I in california, then maybe a DSO is cheaper then the plane ticket.

Anyway risk is part of scientific advancement.
Proud Mary
Fri Sept 03 2010, 10:04AM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
5.2 ns was the fastest rise time I could find in the literature, in this harmful-sounding device. I see Larry "Doomsday" Altgilbers is one of the authors, whom many here will remember as a co-inventor of the "Gatling Marx Generator" contraption:

Rev. Sci. Instrum. 77, 043904 (2006); doi:10.1063/1.2168674 (5 pages)
Completely explosive ultracompact high-voltage nanosecond pulse-generating system
Sergey I. Shkuratov1, Evgueni F. Talantsev1, Jason Baird1, Millard F. Rose2, Zachary Shotts2, Larry L. Altgilbers3, and Allen H. Stults4

1Loki Inc., Rolla, Missouri 65409
2Radiance Technologies, Inc., Huntsville, Alabama 35807
3U.S. Army Space and Missile Defense Command, Huntsville, Alabama 35807
4U.S. Army Aviation and Missile Research, Development, and Engineering Center, Alabama 35898

(Received 30 October 2005; accepted 2 January 2006; published online 10 April 2006)

A conventional pulsed power technology has been combined with an explosive pulsed power technology to produce an autonomous high-voltage power supply. The power supply contained an explosive-driven high-voltage primary power source and a power-conditioning stage. The ultracompact explosive-driven primary power source was based on the physical effect of shock-wave depolarization of high-energy Pb(Zr52Ti48)O3 ferroelectric material. The volume of the energy-carrying ferroelectric elements in the shock-wave ferroelectric generators (SWFEGs) varied from 1.2 to 2.6 cm3. The power-conditioning stage was based on the spiral vector inversion generator (VIG). The SWFEG-VIG system demonstrated successful operation and good performance. The amplitude of the output voltage pulse of the SWFEG-VIG system exceeded 90 kV, with a rise time of 5.2 ns.

© 2006 American Institute of Physics
Superkuh
Fri Oct 28 2011, 11:53PM
Superkuh Registered Member #59 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:45AM
[Oops. Nope]

Sorry to dig up such a long dead thread, but while reading about the development of the steamer chambers at the Standford Linear Accelerator I found a very interesting appendix about a type of spiral impulse generator using 0.002-to-0.005 ~inch copper foil cut to a double tabpe and attached to a sheet of polyethylene or mylar insulation with ~15-20 turns with max widths (b_max) of the copper foils from 10 to 60cm. Normal.

But...It is abnormal in that the detail construction diagrams and instructions call for the addition of a copper sulfate soaked toilet paper layer around the tapered edges left open by the copper. These are soaked in the CuSO4 and then the water removed under vacuum leaving the copper sulfate precipitate. This is over tens of minutes. Claims of less edge breakdown and edge voltage gradient are suggested. Performance is very good.

]vector- inversion_autotransformers_design__jc_martin__i_sm ith.pdf[/file]
1319845947 59 FT43795 Vector Inversion Generator Wierdtype
jpsmith123
Sat Oct 29 2011, 01:46PM
jpsmith123 Registered Member #1321 Joined: Sat Feb 16 2008, 03:22AM
The device shown is actually a transformer - a spiral strip transformer (in this case an autotransformer), which looks similar to a spiral vector inversion generator but isn't.
first  4 5 6 7

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: