Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Plastic Polystyrene Plate High Voltage Capacitors

first  5 6 7 8 
Move Thread LAN_403
Adam Munich
Wed Sept 15 2010, 02:00AM
Adam Munich Registered Member #2893 Joined: Tue Jun 01 2010, 09:25PM
Yeah like I have access to a CO2 laser. I do have access to a CNC, but I fear the aluminum would just rip and get tangled around the spindle. That wouldn't be too good.
HM_Murdock
Wed Sept 15 2010, 02:01AM
HM_Murdock Registered Member #3075 Joined: Fri Aug 06 2010, 02:44PM
Pressure is key...it adds capacitance (as in, from 3nF to 15nF just by adding pressure from the clamp)...

these particular 6" plates are not suitable I don't think...

May try some regular sized plates tomorrow (these were the only 6" ones I could find locally so far), as the choices are more varied and they will be thicker by nature. I was hoping to stay with the smaller plates for convenience of size, but I am tired of blowing the things through...

I was also really hoping to pull this off without oil (too much of a potential for a mess), but it may not be possible

EDIT - lol with Grenadier...I hear ya man, I don't have one of those laying around at my disposal either...

I also believe the whole point of this thing to is to find a cheap, DIY cap that's quick and easy and can be constructed from every day materials.
Russell Haley
Sun Sept 19 2010, 04:10PM
Russell Haley Registered Member #2478 Joined: Mon Nov 23 2009, 03:24AM
What about using foam plates instead of plastic ones? That would make the capacitance variable over a larger dynamic range, and:

U. S. Patent 5541366
Examples of such materials include foamed polystyrene, such as Styrofoam.RTM.. Typical electrical properties of Styrofoam.RTM. 103.7, measured at 3 GHz are a dielectric constant of 1.03 and a dissipation factor of 10^(-4)

If that number is accurate, a foam plate stacked capacitor could be suitable for continuous operation with large RF currents, provided you could get the small amount of heat away fast enough. Heavy duty foil and oil channels punched out of the foam, perhaps?
Mike
Tue Sept 21 2010, 05:21PM
Mike Registered Member #58 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:40AM
seems to me those would be pretty large considering how thick and how much air is in the foam. but give it a try and let us know.
Russell Haley
Sun Sept 26 2010, 10:05PM
Russell Haley Registered Member #2478 Joined: Mon Nov 23 2009, 03:24AM
I built one using 10 inch foam plates. With 10 plates (that is, 10 with voltage across them) I measured (1 kHz) 1.071 nF with no clamping force, 1.43 nF with a substantial fraction of my body weight, and 1.300 nF with a stack of books. The dissipation factor was outside the range of the meter, but it was less than 0.001.

XHLR1l
The internal structure. I found this shape for the capacitor plates offered the best compromise between surface area and ease of construction.

After a successful test with a flyback transformer, I added the rest of the package of plates, for a total of 26 active plates. As I doubt that the lab is open on Sunday, I have not yet taken measurements on the new configuration. Extrapolation, however, gives 3.38 nF. Further testing was done with the larger capacitor. I resonated it with an air-core inductor for a few minutes, and it tolerated an estimated 8.5 kVA with no apparent damage. The test was stopped due to concern for my underpowered bipolar h-bridge.

It was also tested in a base driven spark gap coil.

JdUjk
No magnetically coupled primary makes construction simpler. Operation is similar to a magnifier coil.

67Q1zl
~2cm streamers were produced.

It probably would work better with a better RF ground and a larger capacitor and smaller inductor in the tank, for greater bang energy.

Ernie
Tue Aug 14 2012, 10:43AM
Ernie Registered Member #6129 Joined: Sun Aug 12 2012, 04:33AM
Hi everybody, I am new here, but have been reading this thread for sometime.
This interests me, as I am building a high speed Air gap flash, and wish to build a suitable Capacitor. This looks to be a very viable design.
The thread seems to have come to a sudden end, I am hoping it can be restarted.
How is petroleum jelly suited as a dialectric. Ernie
Conundrum
Tue Aug 14 2012, 05:43PM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Maybe recycle copper leaf from dead LiPo cells?

just a thought, and it isn't hard to thin it using reverse electroplating.

-A
Ernie
Tue Aug 14 2012, 09:51PM
Yes there are many possibilities out there I should imagine.
I have had a look at a few different plates, but one in particular is a 180mm square one, which I have on order.
I have been looking at several types, and, there is one thing that has not been mentioned, and that is the fact that because you are putting one plate inside the other, they do not fit perfectly, in fact they leave a void. Though it is minuscule it is still there to cause problems, and as you put weight on them you spread this void to the sides. I think that for this to work properly this void should be filled. What thoughts on this. the best method needs to be found. Ernie
Ernie
Fri Aug 17 2012, 12:46AM
Ok, it seems as though the interest has gone from this thread, but I will keep trying, and add my findings.
The plates arrived they seem to be very sturdy without being overly thick.
The foil area is 5inch (127mm) square, I put four plates together and got a reading of .88n, but under some pressure this went up to 1.10n.
So I then tried coating this with petroleum jelly, and wow the capacitance dropped to .28n and no amount of pressure would change it, so four plates ended up in the trash can.
So it looks as though the dialect needs to be fairly thin, would a thicker foil make a difference, any ideas anyone.
For my project I don't really want to go to bigger plates, so at this rate I would need something like 120 plates, still not a huge size, and definitely a lot cheaper than a commercially made one.
I hope someone will help me here, I have some foil adhesive tape, it is conductive on one side but not the other, does it need to be on both sides to work properly. Ernie
brandon3055
Fri Aug 17 2012, 01:17AM
brandon3055 Registered Member #4548 Joined: Mon Apr 23 2012, 03:52AM
No the thickness of the foil won't make much difference and the foil tape might work but the overlap between each price could be a problem

If I were you I would make a few small capes with different numbers of plates and test them to see how many plates per foil you need
first  5 6 7 8 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: