All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

High power EM projectile launcher

first  4 5 6 7
Move Thread LAN_403
Kizmo
Tue Jan 26 2016, 08:48PM
Kizmo Registered Member #599 Joined: Thu Mar 22 2007, 07:40PM
The acceleration is so violent i have little to no hope that anything attached to the disk would stay on.

And reason for going to triggered gap is it being simple in mechanical mind. At these energy levels magnetic forces and electrode wear are serious. Being relatively low voltage switching it makes the switch erosion even worse. My new triggered gap design uses brass electrodes since brass turns instantly to vapor instead of spattering molten metal blobs everywhere covering my insulator materials with conductive particles.

Just some time ago i realized that commercial spark gap have shot life depending on capacitor charge in Coulombs, not energy or peak currents. And this is where it kicks my butt:

My setup is 31.6 mF at 1450 V

E = 0.5 * C * U^2
0.5 * 31.6*10^-3 F * 1450V^2 = 33220 J

But charge in Coulombs is C * V

31.6*10^-3 F * 1450 V = 45.82 C

It would have to be *really* large commercial spark gap to have charge transfer rating larger than that. If my capacitor bank was lets say 50kV it would be a whole lot easier to any kind of mechanical or spark gap switching:

33.22kJ at 50kV equals about 26.58µF of capacitance.

26.58*10^-6 F * 50000 V = 1.33 C

See the difference? cheesey
Uspring
Wed Jan 27 2016, 08:53AM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
DerAlbi wrote:
Explode?? Shouldnt it just "implode" at best?
Depends. Parallel conductors with currents going in the same direction are attracted, opposite currents are repelled. For a helical coil, that implies an axial contraction and a radial repulsion. Adjacent conductors in a spiral coil like Kizmos will be attracted to each other, but they will be repelled by the conductors on the other side of the coil. It might well be, that the forces are of the same order of magnitude as those on the disk, i.e. several tons.
Signification
Wed Jan 27 2016, 12:26PM
Signification Registered Member #54278 Joined: Sat Jan 17 2015, 04:42AM
Kizmo wrote ...

The acceleration is so violent i have little to no hope that anything attached to the disk would stay on.

And reason for going to triggered gap is it being simple in mechanical mind. At these energy levels magnetic forces and electrode wear are serious. Being relatively low voltage switching it makes the switch erosion even worse. My new triggered gap design uses brass electrodes since brass turns instantly to vapor instead of spattering molten metal blobs everywhere covering my insulator materials with conductive particles.

Just some time ago i realized that commercial spark gap have shot life depending on capacitor charge in Coulombs, not energy or peak currents. And this is where it kicks my butt:

My setup is 31.6 mF at 1450 V

E = 0.5 * C * U^2
0.5 * 31.6*10^-3 F * 1450V^2 = 33220 J

But charge in Coulombs is C * V

31.6*10^-3 F * 1450 V = 45.82 C

It would have to be *really* large commercial spark gap to have charge transfer rating larger than that. If my capacitor bank was lets say 50kV it would be a whole lot easier to any kind of mechanical or spark gap switching:

33.22kJ at 50kV equals about 26.58µF of capacitance.

26.58*10^-6 F * 50000 V = 1.33 C

See the difference? cheesey

Interesting...shot life dependent upon "only?" cap charge! Do you have an equation or reference to calculations?
At an auction, I picked up four (4) never-used brass HEMIspheres: 3" in dia. and 2lbs each with a 4" low R electrode, into which screwed 12" bars (these were magnetic and I will keet then out of the circuit. They were outfitted with what looked like a brass orcordian--my guess--an air trigger for slamming the electrodes together. To bad the guy had started peeling them off cry

I am planning to use them on my quarter shrinker that currently consists of two 70uF @ 12kv in parallel--I use only 10kV, so that comes to E=7kJ. Q=CV=(140EE-6)*10kV=1.4 Coulombs (close to your 1.33Q).

I remember getting some not-to-bad results with these caps in series...forgot the voltage, but using 10kV here (Which preserves the same 7kJ energy, that required 20kV@ the series 35uF). That's (35x10^-6)*(20kV)=0.7Q. 1/2 of the parallel (low V) arrangement--same energy...and capacitor pair...don't know about Ip.

The best part--I got all this bras for 25 cents amazed

Does anybody know how this kind of "low surface area" power switching compares with the much larger contact area on those electrodes that slam large 'flat' areas together? Maybe they (spheres) were intended to be used in a vacuum or gaseous environment??? BTW: Those loud discharge caps from the disposable cameras barely make a "pop" when shorted through these spheres!!!

Kizmo
Wed Jan 27 2016, 12:57PM
Signification wrote ...

Interesting...shot life dependent upon "only?" cap charge! Do you have an equation or reference to calculations?

Here is one app note: Link2

app note wrote ...

Lifetime
The lifetime of the triggered gap can be approximated
in terms of the cumulative charge, in coulombs (Q),
that can be passed through the device without
changing its main static breakdown voltage by more
than 20 percent. Expressing the height of the current
pulse in amperes and the duration in seconds, the
area under the pulse is the coulomb of charge
contained in it.

Example 1:
A triggered gap is required to pass a 20,000 peak amp
pulse having a 10µs pulse half-width. Approximating
the pulse shape by a triangle, the charge contained in
the pulse is:

q = 20,000 amps x 10-5 sec = 0.2 coulombs
If the Coulomb Rating (Q) is given as 100 coulombs,
the life under these conditions is approximately:
Life = Q/q = 100/0.2 = 500 discharges

Example 2:
A 10kV main static breakdown triggered gap must
dump a 2.0µF capacitor charged to 8kV. The charge
stored in the capacitor is:
q = CV = 2.0 x 10-6 farads x 8,000 Volts
q = 0.016 coulombs

If the Coulomb Rating (Q) is given as 100 coulombs,
the life under these conditions is approximately:
Life = Q/q = 100/0.016 = 6,250 discharges

And research paper: Link2 (This is why i chose brass)

Here is my set of electrodes. I call this gap as the "final solution" cheesey

1453899652 599 FT170386 Electrodes
Kizmo
Tue Feb 09 2016, 07:58AM
Updated main post, new velocity measurement thing is finally ready to go!
klugesmith
Wed Feb 10 2016, 02:56AM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Nice work there. Can't wait to see your velocity measurements. Are you planning to try laser beams in the first few mm or cm of motion, to refine the linear induction motor model?

Who knows what's inside regular ballistic chronographs? Are the background strips retroreflective? Are the optical sensor signals AC-coupled?
1455071542 2099 FT170386 Capture

Remember when high-speed photography didn't mean high frame-rate videography?
Your launcher appears to be very robust and repeatable.
Got any interest in playing with microsecond flashlamps, taking one variably-delayed picture per shot, to study the acceleration & even make movies? Or multiple flashes to get multiple time points per shot?

1455072297 2099 FT170386 Th
zrg
Mon Jun 20 2016, 04:00AM
zrg Registered Member #4762 Joined: Sun May 06 2012, 05:59PM
I could suggest something from the USSR old stock things (not sure if similar devices are available worldwide):
This is IRT-6 (ИРТ-6), mercury pulse valve, and it commutates up to 30 Сoulombs at up to 25 kV and 100kA (numbers are manufacturer rated, so I think it can be pushed 1.5x times up from that). Unfortunately I need mine for my own can crusher, but this is the ultimate solution to all commutation, brass evaporation, loud sounds and other problems with high energy capacitor banks. If you manage to find someone in Russian Internet who sells and ships one to you (which may be tricky since it has ~500g of liquid mercury inside), I highly recommend it.

Patrick
Tue Jun 21 2016, 07:19PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
zrg wrote ...

....(which may be tricky since it has ~500g of liquid mercury inside), I highly recommend it.

500g of mercury ! the Russians make all the fun stuff.
first  4 5 6 7

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: