Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Propeller Physics and VABs Program.

Move Thread LAN_403
Ash Small
Tue Dec 09 2014, 10:05PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Patrick wrote ...

in a hover, we have 100% slip, right?

So how are we to figure on pitch? i keep thinking about static thrust and screw threads in wood. but my brain breaks...

We don't have 100% slip compared/relative to the accelerated column. We will have some slip, though. The thrust of the accelerated column in newtons MUST be 9.81 times mass in kg of 'copter when hovering.
Patrick
Wed Dec 10 2014, 02:28AM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
ok so we need to know the inhaled velocity and exit velocity. (since we cant know the prop plane velocity) so what would the pitch be ? In the range of 5.5in for 14" dia, to 9in at 9in.

so it seems in RPM changes from 6000 rpm to 1500 rpm, we see about 4.5 in difference. we cant interpolate perfectly, but id be suspicious of a pitch number that falls out side a similar number.

email:

Hi Patrick,
I apologize for the data being unavailable for so long. We found some errors and are working on resolving them. The updated data should be available in January.
I have attached the old data for your reference. Please note that results at low efficiencies do not match test results very well.

Regards,
Robert

Ash Small
Wed Dec 10 2014, 01:17PM
Well, if we have three 26 inch props, we divide total mass in kg by three then multiply by 9.81 to get thrust required from each prop in newtons.

Wha is the proposed all up weight of the 'copter? How many props are we planning to use at the moment?
Patrick
Wed Dec 10 2014, 09:11PM
Ash Small wrote ...
Well, if we have three 26 inch props, we divide total mass in kg by three then multiply by 9.81 to get thrust required from each prop in newtons.

Wha is the proposed all up weight of the 'copter? How many props are we planning to use at the moment?
the tri-copter is more of a pain, so ill keep it a toy. lets count on quads from now on. there easier to verify, tune and so on.
I have multirotor and other props, that i could chop up in 1 inch pices, from tip to root. measuring the dimensions and profile as i go.

As for the all up mass, were entering the 10-20kg range. no more small stuff. ive learned enough from these recent machines to realize its distance/duration and payload that are needed for a useful civilian drone.

the specifics of what i want are:
19g/W effcient motors or there abouts.
lipo batteries, 20Ah or so (not sure)
26 -29 inch rotors.

To get ultra long range, i may add a alcohol/piston hybrid system.

There are more than 800 drone companies in the US, most of them basically like the child-toy ones, just with a 70,000$ price tag. And I just know there's' a dot-com-like machete on its way. I plan to survive.

Ash Small
Wed Dec 10 2014, 11:12PM
Patrick wrote ...

Ash Small wrote ...

the tri-copter is more of a pain, so ill keep it a toy. lets count on quads from now on. there easier to verify, tune and so on.
I have multirotor and other props, that i could chop up in 1 inch pices, from tip to root. measuring the dimensions and profile as i go.

As for the all up mass, were entering the 10-20kg range. no more small stuff. ive learned enough from these recent machines to realize its distance/duration and payload that are needed for a useful civilian drone.

the specifics of what i want are:
19g/W effcient motors or there abouts.
lipo batteries, 20Ah or so (not sure)
26 -29 inch rotors.

To get ultra long range, i may add a alcohol/piston hybrid system.

There are more than 800 drone companies in the US, most of them basically like the child-toy ones, just with a 70,000$ price tag. And I just know there's' a dot-com-like machete on its way. I plan to survive.

Sounds good. I've had a drink or three. So we agree on 30" props then? wink

I'll do some maths tomorrow.
Patrick
Wed Dec 10 2014, 11:33PM
30 it is. It would seem theres no reason to go smaller.
Andy
Thu Dec 11 2014, 12:43AM
Andy Registered Member #4266 Joined: Fri Dec 16 2011, 03:15AM
I think the foumla is
pitch or more cut deepth, say about 10mm
RPM say 10,000
30inches 750mm

if the tip of the blade is traveling 750*3.142 = 2356(2.3meters) and it is doing that at 10k/rpm, we have 23km/min / 60 = 383m/sec, we devide that by 10mm cut, from front to back of blade, and messureing from the tip(can use parts along the length) we get 38.3m/sec, if the effeincy is 40% thats 15.3m/sec linear flow, at dia of blade tip 0.0471(i think)m2 = 0.72063m3, at 0.72063 * 1.22kg = 0.879kg or about 8.79N

1/2mv2 = 102.88kg of thrust, assuming that the tip is a magic float tip blade, or divide by some ratio, maybe 102/6.28 to get the kg of lift.
Patrick
Thu Dec 11 2014, 03:47AM
were wanting 30 inches diameter at 2-3,000 rpm. but this prop in a hover has to chew through a lot slower air than the "wood-screw" situation.

Patrick
Fri Dec 12 2014, 12:29AM
im not sure what planform were needing in this application.

ive mentioned the elliptical prop before, not sure if thats worth pursuing in this application. but here are some pics.

02 Elippse Front

Pales

1418344177 2431 FT167327 Endurance Hexa Motor Prop

1418344177 2431 FT167327 Rearcover

heres some math ive been reviewing. Link2
Ash Small
Fri Dec 12 2014, 12:36AM
We may want some taper, and I know I said I'd post some maths today, but submarines took up my free time. I'll try to post some maths tomorrow wink

(I hate maths as much as you do, Patrick shades

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: