hvguy (41)
thehappyelectron (14)
Justin (2024)

Next birthdays
05/15 Linas (34)
05/15 Toasty (29)
05/16 kg7bz (68)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

First tesla coil thread - Dual Mot

Move Thread LAN_403
Hydron
Mon Oct 28 2013, 07:59PM
Hydron Registered Member #30656 Joined: Tue Jul 30 2013, 02:40AM
PET is also fairly lossy, though I don't have the experience to tell you whether it's too lossy to work. The reasons it is used as a common dielectric is because it has a fairly high dielectric constant and can withstand higher temperatures than some other plastics.
As for the bottle caps, I don't know about the corona thing but every one I've read about just used normal salt. NaOH will likely cause issues if it gets in contact with aluminium.
MrFlatox
Sat Nov 23 2013, 11:46AM
MrFlatox Registered Member #9349 Joined: Mon Jan 07 2013, 08:50AM
Hi, here i am again !

I finished my PET bottle capacitor bank, and as expected, it does not work. I have not the faintest trace of a spark on the output, even when testing various taping point on the primary coil.

I am starting to wonder if there is a construction problem. In order to "troubleshoot" this mess, I will post below pictures of the actual setup and configuration, any help and comments are welcome. As it is my first TC, I might have done mistakes that would have been obvious to experienced coilers, but not for me.

ground connection

HV end conncection

The capacitor bank is measured to be 133nF, which is approximately what Javatc gave me for a 165khz secondary, and 4.75 primary turns.

As a sidenote, my triac based speed controler does not like the EMI emitted by the primay, and cannot maintain a constant speed, it has a rather eratic behavior.

Thanks in advance for your help.
redruM69
Sun Nov 24 2013, 06:24AM
redruM69 Registered Member #31557 Joined: Tue Aug 06 2013, 02:38AM
Can you record a video and do a tour of its construction? Its difficult to see how its wired. Show the sparkgap working too. The sound of it may actually help diagnose whats going on.
MrFlatox
Sun Nov 24 2013, 09:43AM
I can do that, i will post videos this evening (at my time, wich means in about 8 hours).

In the meantime, i did some low light tests yesterday at night, and i saw some 5cm violet sparks at the breakout point, the sparks were the same lenght no matter where i put my tapping point on the primary.
Kizmo
Sun Nov 24 2013, 10:07AM
Kizmo Registered Member #599 Joined: Thu Mar 22 2007, 07:40PM
This result is not very surprising. Your tank circuit Q is very poor due to capacitor losses and almost all RF energy goes into heating of your lossy capacitor :)
Dr. Dark Current
Sun Nov 24 2013, 10:24AM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
Except for what was mentioned, did you calculate resonances?
Shrad
Sun Nov 24 2013, 10:47AM
Shrad Registered Member #3215 Joined: Sun Sept 19 2010, 08:42PM
to reduce losses you can (and you should) solder the ends of all your multi-lead cables to make some uniform conduction between leads and connecting medium, as well as carefully clean the areas where contact takes place

but the guess is your capacitor is the troublemaker here... maybe you would be luckier using a stack of alu foil and plates...
MrFlatox
Sun Nov 24 2013, 11:48AM
I did tried al foil and plastic sheets with not much success.

I did use javatc to calculate all the parameters of the coil including resonance frequency. I also physically measured the secondary resonance frequency to make some corrections on the javatc file.

To sort out the problem of primary capacitor, i will probably go with mmc thanks to Kizmo.
Ash Small
Sun Nov 24 2013, 11:57AM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
I can't see a great deal in your photos' of your capacitors, but I think you need to use more copper in order to reduce losses.

Ideally you want Litz wire or foil, but multi-stranded will do.

coil the wires up inside the bottles. This reduces resistance. The more copper surface area in contact with the electrolyte, the lower the losses. Also, the more surface area on your conductors/busbars, the lower the 'skin effect' losses.

EDIT: Also, temperature is a factor with salt-water capacitors. Electrolyte must be 'super-saturated', and warming the capacitors increases dissolved salt thus increasing capacitance and efficiency. (this is based on personal experience, rather than 'conventional' capacitor theory.)
MrFlatox
Sun Nov 24 2013, 02:13PM
Here is the video : Link2

The spark gap speed and break rate is really eratic. This is something I have not seen in any other TC video on youtube, but it seems rather normal to me : when the spark gap is not breaking, it's because it's rotational speed is "synch" to the 50 Hz mains, so my moving electrode can go in front of the static ones when the mains sine is at 0v. To overcome this issue, should I run the spark between two mains frequency multiple ?

As for the capacitor, I mixed salt and water in a big container, then shake it for about 10 minutes. I then poured the water in the bottles, and fill the container. When looking at the solubility sodium chloride solubility( 357g/L ) I think I might be far from that, because I used 3 kg of salt, for at least 20 to 30 liters of water.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: