Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
wpk5008 (34)

Next birthdays
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
05/09 Coronafix (51)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

CWDRSSTC

first  4 5 6 7
Move Thread LAN_403
Goodchild
Thu Nov 17 2011, 10:37PM
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM
Dr. Kilovolt wrote ...

Very nice smile
Is there any specific reason why you are tuning to the upper pole of the secondary?

Yeah there is. The secondary's F0 is in the 280KHz area this is to low for QCW operation, the sparks would branch and look a lot more like what your coil looks like. It would also be supper silly to make a secondary with a F0 at 350KHz because it would ether be really small or have very few turns. So I did a larger secondary and because the coupling is so high the upper pole is also very far away from the natural resonant freq making it a great choice for high frequency operation.

Richie's site explains this very well! Link2 Thanks again Richie! I was in the dark until I read that page. smile
Marko
Fri Nov 18 2011, 12:05AM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Hey goodchild, good work.

Actually, what stops you from ramping this up while you get some several meters worth of arcs? :O From what it looks to me all you need is more energy storage..

The peak power of your coil with 100A was like 30kW, while I had a bridge run 24kVA in CW - which means you could keep almost indefninte on times there...

I guess the only real danger is your ridiculously overcoupled primary flashing over I guess.

Marko
Goodchild
Fri Nov 18 2011, 12:18AM
Marko wrote ...

Hey goodchild, good work.

Actually, what stops you from ramping this up while you get some several meters worth of arcs? :O From what it looks to me all you need is more energy storage..

The peak power of your coil with 100A was like 30kW, while I had a bridge run 24kVA in CW - which means you could keep almost indefninte on times there...

I guess the only real danger is your ridiculously overcoupled primary flashing over I guess.

Marko

Yeah energy store is a big part of it. I currently have 10mF at 380VDC on the class D. The main thing that stops me from going to say like 30Kw is that bridge of 60N60 IGBTs. At 100A CW they would be in for a world of hurt event with water cooling. I run them pulsed right now so they will happily run at 100A with not to much trouble up to about 50% duty. Any higher than that and they tend to go boom....

Yeah the primary's high coupling is not to big of a problem, because if you are going CW and you still keep your ramps in there the peak top volts should still be low, you just get lots and lots of individual sparks that clump together into one big bush! So it can't go true CW but it can get dang close say 98%

Marko
Sat Nov 19 2011, 09:50PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Hi guys

Anyone interested into a group buy of these igbt's? They are pretty awesome and cost about $20 on digikey.

Link2

Could be a good resource for future QCW work.

Marko
Goodchild
Sat Nov 19 2011, 10:26PM
Marko wrote ...

Hi guys

Anyone interested into a group buy of these igbt's? They are pretty awesome and cost about $20 on digikey.

Link2

Could be a good resource for future QCW work.

Marko

Ahhh looks like the IGBT's I linked earlier but with a co-pack diode. I didn't think they made them...

They are basically the exact same speed as the 60N60s.

Pulsed rating is lower, but max dissipation is higher it also looks like they have a positive tempco at 90A or more (nice for paralleling).

Gosh I would probably buy some, but I'm flat broke right now...
Steve Ward
Mon Nov 21 2011, 10:32PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Kilovolt asked why operate at the upper pole. The reason I did this was initially an accident, but what i later realized was that there is a benefit to this. The main thing is that it reduces the stored energy in the system because the primary and secondary magnetic fields are cancelling each other out. This allows the use of a "large" resonator (4.5" x 9" seems awfully popular now) but still obtaining a high operating frequency which appears to be quite useful for spark propagation with lower top voltage.

I suspect you could likely use a smaller, higher F resonator and tune it for the lower pole if you wanted... and i havent tried this, maybe there is something to it.
first  4 5 6 7

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: