Finn Hammer (72)
Blue Adept (43)
Nickel (68)

Next birthdays
05/18 AlexRU73 (39)
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

It's time for an SSTC

Move Thread LAN_403
Dr. Dark Current
Wed Oct 10 2007, 03:03PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
One of the fets just went dead for no apparent reason, it wasn't even warm. I have no idea what is going on here rolleyes

BTW here is a pic of the present primary arrangement
1192028770 152 FT31895 Primary
Zum Beispiel
Wed Oct 10 2007, 05:12PM
Zum Beispiel Registered Member #514 Joined: Sun Feb 11 2007, 12:27AM
Rising your primary up and spreading it over a larger area will allow it to draw more power.

The IRFP250 is a 200V device, right? If you are running at 160V (and you mean 160VDC, not AC, right?) you may get spikes large enough to kill them.
Dr. Dark Current
Wed Oct 10 2007, 05:24PM
Zb wrote ...

Rising your primary up and spreading it over a larger area will allow it to draw more power.

The IRFP250 is a 200V device, right? If you are running at 160V (and you mean 160VDC, not AC, right?) you may get spikes large enough to kill them.
I think the spikes couldn't have killed it, I have 2x 1.5uF PP decoupling caps soldered right to the fets. Yes it is 160V DC, but I think its actually a bit less since it's rectified from a centertap of a 150W mains xfmr.

I'll replace the dead fet, remake the primary and see what it does..
Ken M.
Wed Oct 10 2007, 09:52PM
Ken M. Registered Member #618 Joined: Sat Mar 31 2007, 04:15AM
Secondary is 4x18, the primarys is 10 turns of 10AWG wrapped around a 1\2" thick rubber pipe couple which is wrapped around the secondary. I uploaded the vid to youtube, but it'll be a little while before its up.

Edit: The video finally got posted on youtube while I was at work, so heres the link. Link2 If your wondering why it goes through a variety of frequencys its cuz my interuptor has 6 settings all with a pot, and I went throught the whole spectrum.
Dr. Dark Current
Thu Oct 11 2007, 06:25PM
I've remade the primary and now with 6 turns I'm getting more power draw than with 4 previously smile however I won't do a full power test until I find out why the coil starts mis-firing at increasing power level...

A strange thing is, I've tried zener-clamping the CT output and this reduced the output from the coil.. could this be due to the "slowness" of the zener diode?

EDIT- this is getting REALLY wierd! I connected a scope probe to the output of the interrupter to see if it wasn't the source of the mis-firing, and guess what! The mis-firing stopped cry suprised this reminds me of the double slit experiment tongue tongue cry
Tom540
Thu Oct 11 2007, 07:27PM
Tom540 Banned on 3/17/2009.
Registered Member #487 Joined: Sun Jul 09 2006, 01:22AM
Maybe your CT needs more turns. I make mine by winding a twisted pair for 33 turns then series them for 66. Or when im not being lazy I wind 100 turns on them. Seems like more turns and then good clamping works better
Dr. Dark Current
Thu Oct 11 2007, 07:35PM
Well I have the answer- it IS the interrupter. I've cranked it up a bit and it finally showed up also on the scope. I think there are some problems with the sync pulses from the xfmr possibly getting some noise from the output of the coil, it's time to rebuild it (the interrupter)I think...

update, I've fixed the interrupter and the problem still persisted.. so just out of curiosity I added a turn on the primary side of the CT, so the ratio is now 1:12.5 really low I know but it got rid of the problem
Dr. Dark Current
Fri Oct 12 2007, 01:51PM
Yesterday the coil produced some 3-4" sparks with 6 turns on the primary and then it died again. Only one FET was dead (the low side one again) and the failure was silent. The fet was not shorted completely, in fact the coil could still make a little spark even with the dead FET (exactly the same failure as the last time).

Before I replace the fet and blow it again, does anybody have an idea wha could have killed it? It was perfectly cold when it failed, so the only two possibilites are too high peak current and voltage spikes, but I can't see how any of these could have been the reason for it's death...
Tom540
Fri Oct 12 2007, 03:21PM
Tom540 Banned on 3/17/2009.
Registered Member #487 Joined: Sun Jul 09 2006, 01:22AM
I'm thinking you should add more turns to that primary. I don't know what your values are but 6 turns sounds like not enough. It probably isn't as crucial since your not running it in DR mode, but it might help.

Try raising your primary way up and spacing out the turns to get more coverage. I have an SSTC that has a 6 or so turn primary and I have it about halfway up the secondary and the windings are very far apart.
Dr. Dark Current
Fri Oct 12 2007, 04:10PM
Tom540 wrote ...

I'm thinking you should add more turns to that primary. I don't know what your values are but 6 turns sounds like not enough. It probably isn't as crucial since your not running it in DR mode, but it might help.

Maybe I wasn't too exact, it's 6 turns for 160V supply voltage and I think that's enough. I remade the primary in a way that I've insulated the bottom 1/3 of the secondary and wound a primary on it, it's about on the bottom 1/10th of the coil.

1192205243 152 FT31895 Primary2

What I don't get is why the fets die, this is beyond my understanding. However I need to fix this of course if I want to continue working on this coil.

Maybe I'll dig up my isolation transformer and see how the drain waveform looks like

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: