Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

20KW DRSSTC

Move Thread LAN_403
Steve Ward
Wed Apr 04 2007, 10:46PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Why would a 20kW input not be impressive compared with 20kW output? Even if efficiency isnt that great, then would you say a 25kW input (20kW output) DRSSTC is impressive? Or have we all missed the point?
Dr. Drone
Thu Apr 05 2007, 12:01AM
Dr. Drone Registered Member #290 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 08:24PM
shades
HV Enthusiast
Thu Apr 05 2007, 01:01AM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Steve Ward wrote ...

Why would a 20kW input not be impressive compared with 20kW output? Even if efficiency isnt that great, then would you say a 25kW input (20kW output) DRSSTC is impressive? Or have we all missed the point?

Because input power is a very poor way to characterize a system unless you state efficiency as well. For example, I could take a mini-DRSSTC, load it down with lots of losses, and have 20kW DRSSTC.

I'm not saying 20kW is not impressive, but i think we need a bettery way to actually characterize the output power capability of a DRSSTC other than input power.

hvguy
Thu Apr 05 2007, 03:36AM
hvguy Registered Member #289 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 10:45AM
Thanks again Chris. I hope I don't have to keep tweaking this thing to keep it running; not that I mind that much but there just doesn't seem to be any reason why the system can't work right 100% of the time.

Dan, you’ve got a good point about power measurement. I can assume, based on my experience with other switchers, what the primary efficiency of this system is. However I have no real way of knowing what the line to arc efficiency really is. As far as I know no one does. Any ideas?

I did some testing on IGBT over voltage strain. Here is a short write up:

Link2
Ken M.
Thu Apr 05 2007, 03:51AM
Ken M. Registered Member #618 Joined: Sat Mar 31 2007, 04:15AM
Very Nice,
Steve Conner
Thu Apr 05 2007, 08:13AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
I never bothered that much about the distinction between input and output, for the reasons mentioned. Our IGBTs and tank capacitors must be fairly efficient because they would catch fire or explode if they weren't. So if you can get 20kW to go into something, and it stays in one piece and sparks come out, I am impressed. Dan's afore mentioned mini DRSSTC would be a flaming stain on the bench in about 10 seconds.

As for how to measure the input power, the only real mistake you can make is measuring line voltage and line current into your coil, multiplying the two, and calling it "kW". The poor power factor of a rectifier with big filter caps leads to an inflated reading. You should say "kVA" unless you used a true power meter like a Kill-A-Watt. Aron mentioned power factor, so I assume he did this.

If you don't have one, you can measure DC bus voltage and DC bus current (average with a moving coil meter) and multiply them to get the power in kW.
Marko
Thu Apr 05 2007, 12:26PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
The biggest error with such a conclusion would be if we measured apparent power instead of effective power, but regarding power dissipation I agree with Steve as none could allow himself to disspiate large fraction of input power and live, especially on coil this big...

If that really is still controversal, could the coil be just called 16inch DRSSTC, or 20' arc DRSSTC? wink
Steve Ward
Thu Apr 05 2007, 07:57PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
That was an *excellent* test Aron! Only one problem, it doesnt apply to the bricks we use. But, that really is astounding to see it avalanche with no ill effects, especially since the dissipated power eventually got to 150W! It was a simple test but revealed much about the behavior of those smaller IGBTs.

When i go home this weekend, i will grab up my "half-dead" CM300DY-24H IGBTs and do a similar test when i can get some time. I will have to build a quick voltage divider for my scope to read the 1.2kV+ spikes. I will aim to re-create the 10MHz switching noise that i saw on my bridge. Of course, if you could perform this test, it would likely happen much sooner (university leaves me little spare time).
Finn Hammer
Thu Apr 05 2007, 09:28PM
Finn Hammer Registered Member #205 Joined: Sat Feb 18 2006, 11:59AM
Steve Ward wrote ...

But, that really is astounding to see it avalanche with no ill effects,

Would someone pls. explain, or point to an explanation of IGBT avalanche.
I suppose the effect of it is seen on the scope traces, where the voltage flattops, and it appears that the IGBT takes on the action of a tranzorb. Perhaps even, there is a built in tranzorb in those little critters?
Anyone?

Cheers, Finn hammer
Marko
Thu Apr 05 2007, 09:47PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Pretty much all semiconductors will avalanche when their voltage rating is exceeded to a limit.
Some that are 'avalanche rated' have an energy rating they can eat up without harm, some have no such rating.

Various TVS are either beefy zeners or avalanche diodes, with main difference of avalanche effect having a positive tempco, while zener having negative.

TVS just have the job of removing the avalanche effect from the IGBT onto themselves.

I'm curious to see how will various IGBT's (avalanche rated and unrated) behave in these conditions.. If 40N60 could dissipate 150W from avalanching alone I actually wouldn't be much of concerned with that problem!

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: