Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
AlexRU73 (39)

Next birthdays
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
05/20 Vaxian (17)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Yet another coil gun prototype

Move Thread LAN_403
the_anomaly
Sun Dec 02 2018, 04:21PM
the_anomaly Registered Member #19 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 03:19PM
Ok DerAlbi send money - i will make a small model

This is a forum for sharing information. You can post a thread in the Sale and Trade forum if you wish to sell anything.
DerAlbi
Sun Dec 02 2018, 11:01PM
DerAlbi Registered Member #2906 Joined: Sun Jun 06 2010, 02:20AM
in the presence of investments I will do everything
This is exactly my point. You will never get investors if everything you show is the capability of scaling without improving. You had capacitors, you had wires, you decided that the best you could do was scaling. If you could do more you would have done so. A good system is not about money, its about concepts. I ask you about conceptual improvements, but i never get an answer. It seems like you simply optimized an large scale SCR design and thats it.
Dont get me wrong: its an impressive gun with 600J kinetic, but from a technical standpoint it has been done - way bigger in some publications.

I could send you IGBTs (15x IXGK320N60A3 with their legs cut of, but you can solder wire onto them, they still work) and diodes (15x P600G) for free, if you like. I would even pay for shipping, i really understand your frustration, i have the same problem, but on a different level (my tools also were never good enough for the quality i wanted). But you would need to build the IGBT driver circuit on your own. Can you do this?
V2006
Mon Dec 03 2018, 01:24PM
V2006 Registered Member #61550 Joined: Thu Apr 06 2017, 03:23PM
I have two devices - a small one for 600 Joules kinetic (2000 Joules, 0.4 Farad, 100 Volts)
and a large at 1600 Joules kinetic (10300 Joules, 0.1 Farad, 450 Volts)

If I do not get investors, then this miserable planet will never make progress
if I tell you everything - everyone can do it - what will I get from this?
IGBT it's good
but we need modern capacitors
DerAlbi
Mon Dec 03 2018, 05:09PM
Oh boy, you are a mess. frown
I really do get it, it depends really on luck where you are born and what access to education and society you have. Digikey parts are the same price for many regions, but income is not. For me, ordering part hurts a bit, but for others it is outright impossible to get industry quality supply. You seem like a very frustrated person blaming your problems on others and showing even jealousy which i understand, but i think that it is not a way forward. neutral

In your videos, you are charging your capacitors with a light bulb. I can tell you outright, that it is impossible to bring the world forward with this level of technology; yet i understand that my critique is pointless because you simply cant do better with your resources. Still, any level of serious engineering is currently years away from you, even if you had resources - just to learn how to use the resources. [Doing simulation (circuit and FEM), make PCBs, programming, 3d printing, milling...]
I honestly dont see how you ever could get investors with your current mind set. You need more references for your engineering skills. Also you really should not write sentences like "but we need modern capacitors" because this implies that you think that your technological improvement might depend on other technological improvements that are not in your hands further saying that you havent actually done more than scaling.
The fact that you criticize important semiconductor effects as overhead to the topic speaks for it self. confused

The issue that repels me the most is currently the impression that you dont even know what you dont know and flourish in that ignorance. Without that knowledge you cant even appreciate or recognize or replicate engineering work leading to frustrated sentences like "i could do better than you with your resources" without knowing what you judge. mistrust

Your build with the 30% efficiency is impressive - no doubt! I analyzed your youtube audio and the claimed 50m/s is plausible. amazed But if the 30% efficiency would be the result of a ground breaking new optimization, scaling to 1.6kJ kinetic should not reduce efficiency to ~16%, if that optimization would be systematic and repeatable.
For me it looks like you just pushed more energy in the bigger gun, went deeper in saturation and got reduced efficiency. And the 30% efficiency with your dimensions is far from impossible, so i dont see any mechanics that are worth supporting right now.

Your projectile weighs 20x more than mine, and you push 30x more energy. So with the same iron you push 1.5x more energy than i do. That is not impossible in terms of scaling: the bigger you build a motor the easier it is to get better efficiency. Keep in mind that my goal was more complex than just energy transfer: i tried to reduce weight as well (and have a full functioning stand alone system with high shot rate)

I am really open for you because i see that you have enough passion to be frustrated. But in your position your only chance is to be open about your achievements and be honest and detailed. Keeping this technology to your self is not a way forward to be recognized. First we need to discuss if your gun is really the result of some good idea or if it is just up-scaling.
If i really missed something and you keep everything to your self and die with your secrets, then the world indeed will not go forward. On the other hand, if you are open and we find that everything you think is special about your gun can be explained by already known effects, then maybe that will lower your frustration too. Your mind set - being a frustrated, unrecognized talent - is damaging in the long run. rolleyes

@mods: i know that currently the forum software is currently a bit kaputt. We are hijacking Zuckerstanges thread, but V2006 is something that deserves attention. Sorry if you grind your teeth if the admin tools are not functioning right now, but i hope you can cut out out posts later on. Damage is already done, so we might as well continue here.
@ Zuckerstange: sry auch an dich ^_^
V2006
Mon Dec 03 2018, 08:28PM
I had no money for batteries

Link2

Link2

even on this miserable planet is full of ways to charge capacitors

100 volts proved to be more efficient than 450 volts

I spent almost three years in prison
when I came out I saw that nobody did anything
and none of you will do anything
the inhabitants of the earth have deceived themselves "Doing simulation (circuit and FEM), make PCBs, programming, 3d printing, milling...]"

if it interferes Zuckerstange - write to my thread
or e-mail **link**
DerAlbi
Mon Dec 03 2018, 10:57PM
Thanks, you made a pretty clear picture now.
I am sorry to say that i dont see that you have a working theory about coilguns. Lowering the voltage to get better results is a tuning step, but from a system view always wrong. If you need to lower the voltage you have too much capacitance and too thick wire in your coil.. Your goal should always be to minimize current, because that is what causes heat. And maybe you wouldnt need better capacitors, because losses in ESR matter less...
Maybe you deceived yourself getting away without theory and simulation wink

Just out of curiosity: what do you expect from others? What is the progress you demand??
V2006
Tue Dec 04 2018, 09:32AM
I have working theory about coils
I have everything except money and happiness))
I do from what is available
There were 450 volt capacitors
And there were 100 volt capacitors
I just have no other capacitors
Previously tried 900 volts and even 1350 volts - meaningless
And my coils do not heat at all
In one Israeli university undertook to calculate my parameters - they didn't succeed
completely different results were obtained
apparently, without receiving my layouts, no one will understand anything
I don't speak English well
progress is 200 meters per second and above
DerAlbi
Tue Dec 04 2018, 10:15AM
Make a detailed drawing (dimensions of your coils, coil distance and so on, also the projectile..) also prepare capacitor values , turn count, DC resistance, wire diameter and switching points (positions or timings). I will conctact you via email and invest the time for a simulation. I can also have a look on what you think is special. If you dont trust me, then dont. But nothing will come from nothing. If its just an upscaled SCR design, it should be manageable. I had good experiences with simulation.
V2006
Tue Dec 04 2018, 10:48AM
Ok. Write to my e-mail
Zuckerstange47
Wed Dec 12 2018, 03:31AM
Zuckerstange47 Registered Member #61926 Joined: Wed Nov 22 2017, 04:08PM
I was reloading the thread for days, without noticing that the conversation moved to another thread cheesey

Instead I will continue updating my stuff: Yesterday I got PCBs from China to build light barriers. They probably are not perfect, but I like the result. The barriers are meant to be clamped on two threaded rods so that they cannot move when accelerating a mass, yet it should be possible to reposition them easily.
I bought them from the manufacturer shown on the parcel in the image.

Link2

Link2

Even though most of you might know about buying PCBs, the process was new for me, and maybe it could be interesting for others, too, so I will give a short summary: I learned about the shop from numerous youtube-tutorials on the topic, it seems to be the cheapest source for getting such products. The designing process can be done directly in the browser window ("EasyEDA.com") and the basic knowledge about using the software can be aquired in about 1-3 hours.
I bought 10 PCBs (the minimum quantity, I guess) in the cheapest finish (2 conducting layers [even though I only used one], 10x10cm) with four light barrier boards on each PCB, so I got 40 all in all (probably too much actually). The costs are 2$ + shipment and paypal currency exchance charge, which resulted in about 9,50 Euro for me (0,24 € per light barrier board). This way it was much easier to make multiple light barriers, with a much nicer looking result, compared to the ones I made using perfboards.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: