Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/11 ramses (16)
05/11 Arcstarter (31)
05/11 Zak (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Propeller Physics and VABs Program.

Move Thread LAN_403
Ash Small
Mon Dec 08 2014, 12:36PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Patrick wrote ...

one guy is using pipe, then cutting it off to make his own props.

Link2 composite parts.

Link2 pipe cut props.

Link2 odd one.

Someone says just about any prop can be 70% or so efficient. Since were approaching 100% as an asymptote, eventually theres no advantage in going all out for that last 1%. (im tipsy so this was probly said already) So lets find out what the efficiency of the APC 10, 11, 12 and 13 MR's are, then we'll see how much margin is at stake.

APC has all these numbers, just waiting for re-posting them.

Well, I don't know how the bloke in the first link is getting 60PSI of vacuum. 15PSI is the limit of all conventional vacuum systems wink

I think we discussed laying up on a cylindrical form before. You still need to consider leading and trailing edges, etc.

I'm still of the opinion that all of those commercially available props are designed for much higher disc loadings than we want, so will be inefficient at low disc loadings.

I think we need to consider RPM next, once we know that we should be able to do some initial calculations on blade profile, angle of attack, etc. wink
Patrick
Mon Dec 08 2014, 06:19PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
That "Test Pilot Mafia" guy... thats me smile .

1418064209 2431 FT1630 U8a
Various configurations. It seems they dont want CF props to see more than 22.2 V, the wood props are rated to 44.4 V at near 4,000RPM.

1418064209 2431 FT1630 U8c
the best effciency from 19.4 g/W to 15.6 g/W.
this varies across 1,100 to 1,550 RPM.
From 50 to 75 % throttle, (this is where hover and simple maneuvering is done.)

The best efficiency i measured on my thrust stand was 8.7 grams. 19.4 is 2.2 times better per unit of power.

1418064209 2431 FT1630 U8b
Pics of the U8. its a pancake motor, just not sure why these physical shapes are chosen, still studying this too.

in any case, as youve said low RPM at large diameter yields high effciency. the above props, ive been told "explosively liberate" themselves at 6,000RPM or so. (i dont know if they're thin at the hub or what)

Shrad
Mon Dec 08 2014, 06:55PM
Shrad Registered Member #3215 Joined: Sun Sept 19 2010, 08:42PM
I just saw on Discovery that porsche 318 motors are pancake motors of that kind, so there should clearly be other advantages than form factor...
Ash Small
Mon Dec 08 2014, 10:31PM
Patrick, just got back after a long day, but on the subject of props disintegrating at high RPM, there are basically two factors. One is if they are designed for high disc loading they will be producing loads of thrust at high RPM. The other is that if designed for high disc loading they will be much heavier, and therefore the centripetal/centrifugal forces are also high.

I think a low disc loading prop will spin much faster, due to it's low mass and due to it not generating a lot of thrust.

I know I previously said 'a big prop at low RPM, but I should have said 'or a big prop at the same RPM with less cross section'. I think we want fairly high prop RPM for increased manouverability.

If we increase RPM, we can reduce mass and cross section, have less angle of attack, etc.

The only limit seems to be, apart from centripetal/centrifugal stuff, drag on the blades, but we can reduce turbulence behind the blade, and improve laminar flow.

Does this make any sense?

I'll have a look at the charts you posted tomorrow.
Andy
Tue Dec 09 2014, 02:29AM
Andy Registered Member #4266 Joined: Fri Dec 16 2011, 03:15AM
Apologies Ash,

You've not taken losses into account here, Andy, which increase as prop size decreases and as air speed increases.

The most efficient is always large diameter and low RPM, and it's pretty much exponential, very similar to the 'drag equation'.
Just doing some thinking and F = 1/2mv2 using double simposim position becomes rolleyes 2m2v2, dropping back to or base shifting equals v3(velocity cubed) 6 = v*1/2
If we take power in watts used P = 1/2mv2, releatising that a system is equal and opposite and that opposite energy gets removed out of the system to a larger system, we have 2mv2*2, the opposite value(1/2) 4 = v

v3/v4 power is 75% effeiect ln(75%) = 25% loss with a increase in speed per step, 50% of 75% is 42.5% which is the effeinect of blades and props to convert and use energy in wind flow.
Patrick
Tue Dec 09 2014, 05:20AM
Text files !

i found this math interesting : Link2

]per3_10x45mr.txt[/file] multi-rotor

]per3_10x55mr.txt[/file] multi-rotor

]per3_11x38sf.txt[/file] slo-fly

]per3_12x38sf.txt[/file] slo-fly

]per3_12x45mr.txt[/file] multi-rotor

]per3_14x55mr.txt[/file] multi-rotor

if we look at 0 to 3 mph, we see most of the power being used as static force. Right?
Ash Small
Tue Dec 09 2014, 12:34PM
Patrick wrote ...

Text files !

i found this math interesting : Link2

multi-rotor

multi-rotor

slo-fly

slo-fly

multi-rotor

multi-rotor

if we look at 0 to 3 mph, we see most of the power being used as static force. Right?

At first glance it looks like those figures are obtained in a wind tunnel, and they've measured power required for 2000RPM at various wind speeds. Is this how you interpreted it, or am I missing something?
Patrick
Tue Dec 09 2014, 04:29PM
Ash Small wrote ...

At first glance it looks like those figures are obtained in a wind tunnel, and they've measured power required for 2000RPM at various wind speeds. Is this how you interpreted it, or am I missing something?
\i geuss i should have asked. dont know, duh.
Ash Small
Tue Dec 09 2014, 06:29PM
Patrick wrote ...

Ash Small wrote ...

\i geuss i should have asked. dont know, duh.

Well, I think those datasheets are telling us thrust at various speeds at 2000RPM, but they do also tell us thrust and power at hover, so I suppose we can work out the efficiencies.

I've been reading up a bit on full size helicopters and found out that most have a tip speed of 700 feet per second, which equates to ~6000RPM for a 26 inch prop.

Maybe we should try some maths for a prop like this at,say, 5000RPM to make the maths simpler?

This would be maximum RPM, so RPM for hover should be ~2500RPM.

We know the thrust required for hover, so we should be able to get to a theoretical pitch.
Patrick
Tue Dec 09 2014, 09:56PM
in a hover, we have 100% slip, right?

So how are we to figure on pitch? i keep thinking about static thrust and screw threads in wood. but my brain breaks...

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: