Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Small QCW

first  5 6 7 8 
Move Thread LAN_403
Dr. Dark Current
Tue Oct 14 2014, 06:03PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
Udo, the output is just 150V, at one instant positive, at the other negative. The output voltage from a full bridge is the same as DC link voltage, with a half bridge it is half.
Uspring
Tue Oct 14 2014, 06:32PM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
zzz_julian_zzz:
Looks ok to me, except for the current burst at the beginning. That might jump start the arc instead of growing it slowly. I don't think it explains large primary currents but possibly not so straight and long arcs. Possibly the bus voltage is too high, when you turn the interrupter on.

Dr. Dark Current:
Ok, you're thinking of a single +150V DC supply and I was thinking about a dual one, i.e. +150V and -150V.
teravolt
Tue Oct 14 2014, 07:41PM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
Hi Julian nice wave form. if you are using a half wave doubler from the line and your reference connection is the center of the caps it will never be more than 150v but you could play games like connecting it to a boost transformer or connect it to 220. I herd Steve Ward say that the power factor is better with full wave rectification with filter caps.
Dr. Dark Current
Tue Oct 14 2014, 09:44PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
Well that could be it... but if someone says xxxV input, I automatically assume that its xxxV between the dc bus rails smile
loneoceans
Sun May 24 2015, 07:56AM
loneoceans Registered Member #4098 Joined: Fri Sept 16 2011, 09:26PM
It has been several months since I worked on my QCW. shades

Started to get busy with other things and new projects, including getting sidetracked on a pair of reasonably sized DRSSTCS (see project here Link2, but I thought it was time to continue tinkering on the small QCW. Since then I've had a few ideas I wanted to try out while still keeping the coil the same. I finally got around to start putting things together.

This revision (I'm calling it v1.5) includes a fancy Bluetooth controller. I did it mostly for fun since I thought it was a bit gimmicky, but it turned out to be very useful indeed! So I can now use my phone to control the coil from a safe distance and not have to carry around a controller anymore. Also, I've upgraded the bus modulator to using a brick IGBT, and I've lowered the resonant frequency by 100kHz (but still using a 6" secondary), so it now oscillates around 360kHz on the upper pole.

Here's a very early test of the coil in action. I've got the ramp going to just over 200V for about 10ms and it's making around 4+ feet of spark to air. In this test the coil resonates at 360kHz to 340kHz with the buck switching frequency of around 8.5 to 20kHz. Each pulse here is just about 75J.

Here's a video of the coil in action together with the temporary setup!

One thing I noticed with this setup compared to my v1.0 was that the sparks were more knarly. This could also be due to the lower switching frequency where higher frequencies seem to produce straighter sparks; also my toroid is pretty small (8x2") - a bigger one might be better in directing sparks.

Right now have a few ideas in continuing to push the coil to make straighter sparks. For example, a bigger toroid, a higher impedance primary or one with higher coupling, as well as perhaps faster buck switching for a smoother ramp (which may be causing the sparks to break up) and a longer ramp duration.

The next step is of course, to step up the voltage! More to come soon and would appreciate any comments and suggestions! smile

zzz_julian_zzz
Sun May 24 2015, 02:20PM
zzz_julian_zzz Registered Member #3964 Joined: Thu Jun 23 2011, 03:23AM
Hi loneoceans,

great development! The bluetooth interface made this coil astoundingly controllable 😄
is the signal all the same? In terms of magnitude and length?

I emailed you on your gmail, waiting for your response. 😄
loneoceans
Sun May 24 2015, 09:30PM
zzz_julian_zzz wrote ...

Hi loneoceans,

great development! The bluetooth interface made this coil astoundingly controllable 😄
is the signal all the same? In terms of magnitude and length?

I emailed you on your gmail, waiting for your response. 😄

Right now I'm running just about a 10ms pulse with a ramp peak of about 200V. I didn't receive a mail from you though, are you sure you sent it to the right place?

There's still a bunch of tidying up I need to do - the wires are all over the place and are quite messy, so I'll be tidying it up. Next step is to do some tuning to see what I can get out of this coil smile
loneoceans
Thu Jun 04 2015, 05:55PM
18449632261 1c84e29325 Z

I thought I’d continue to update with some new results from the small QCW project. As always, been trying new things as I figure out what works. I’ve also since made a simple box case for the coil so I can move everything around easily, and have also been experimenting new ‘FAT TOROID’ for the coil smile.

After discussing with uspring and many other more experienced coilers than I am, I had a few new ideas to try out with the coil. Based on the measured results from the coil so far, it seems that my first few setups had a poor impedance match resulting in less than ideal power transfer. Consequently I had relatively high current in my primary circuit. Two main issues which seem to affect this the most are arc loading and coupling. With my small toroid, heavy arc loading caused significant detuning of my secondary circuit, which decreased Qpri leading to a lower effective load on the inverter side. There are other ways to achieve a similar effect, e.g. increasing primary impedance. However, I wanted to use the same MMC I had and I was running out of turns on my primary coil, so I made a new resonator setup. To summarize, I there exists an ideal effective impedance which the coil should be set to limit the maximum current just below the OCD limit at the peak of the ramp.

The new “Fat Toroid” setup uses my original 5.5” secondary with the new toroid made out of 3” aluminum ducting (it’s actually closer to 3.4” in diameter though). This gave me a resonant frequency of around 330kHz. I also made a new higher coupling primary with a k around 0.39, and tapped such that the coil has an upper pole around 420kHz. With a maximum of 400V on my bus (limited by my variac and my 400V bus cap), I designed the setup to run with a ~300++V peak ramp to hit a 150A limit. This paid off with just over 5 feet of spark (measured around 11.5x secondary length), at a ~310V peak at around 150+A as designed.

zzz_julian_zzz
Fri Jun 05 2015, 12:36PM
zzz_julian_zzz Registered Member #3964 Joined: Thu Jun 23 2011, 03:23AM
loneoceans wrote ...

18449632261 1c84e29325 Z

I thought I’d continue to update with some new results from the small QCW project. As always, been trying new things as I figure out what works. I’ve also since made a simple box case for the coil so I can move everything around easily, and have also been experimenting new ‘FAT TOROID’ for the coil smile.

After discussing with uspring and many other more experienced coilers than I am, I had a few new ideas to try out with the coil. Based on the measured results from the coil so far, it seems that my first few setups had a poor impedance match resulting in less than ideal power transfer. Consequently I had relatively high current in my primary circuit. Two main issues which seem to affect this the most are arc loading and coupling. With my small toroid, heavy arc loading caused significant detuning of my secondary circuit, which decreased Qpri leading to a lower effective load on the inverter side. There are other ways to achieve a similar effect, e.g. increasing primary impedance. However, I wanted to use the same MMC I had and I was running out of turns on my primary coil, so I made a new resonator setup. To summarize, I there exists an ideal effective impedance which the coil should be set to limit the maximum current just below the OCD limit at the peak of the ramp.

The new “Fat Toroid” setup uses my original 5.5” secondary with the new toroid made out of 3” aluminum ducting (it’s actually closer to 3.4” in diameter though). This gave me a resonant frequency of around 330kHz. I also made a new higher coupling primary with a k around 0.39, and tapped such that the coil has an upper pole around 420kHz. With a maximum of 400V on my bus (limited by my variac and my 400V bus cap), I designed the setup to run with a ~300++V peak ramp to hit a 150A limit. This paid off with just over 5 feet of spark (measured around 11.5x secondary length), at a ~310V peak at around 150+A as designed.

HOLY COW! this is impressive ! :D nice work! could you share your way on how to measure impedance (Pri-Sec) and how to match them properly ? :)
Intra
Fri Jun 05 2015, 03:33PM
Intra Registered Member #2694 Joined: Mon Feb 22 2010, 11:52PM
Hi Gao,

Did you played some music through your QCW? does your buck-modulator and interrupter allows playing music?
first  5 6 7 8 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: