ramses (16)
Arcstarter (31)
Zak (15)

Next birthdays
05/12 Colin 99 (53)
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Novel flying machines

Move Thread LAN_403
Patrick
Mon May 19 2014, 08:17AM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
mind blowing !!!!

Link2 RCvertt's work...

Ash Small
Tue May 20 2014, 11:08PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Ok, this is a hypothesis, and is not proven.

Following on from my comments in Dr Spark's 'big bird' thread, Here is a 'concept heptacopter'.

1400627898 3414 FT1630 Heptacopter

The image represents the ducts and framework. The props are mounted centrally in the ducts. I think it's easy to see that the central propeller doesn't suffer from the same peripheral losses that a single prop would experience, hence greatly improving efficiency. The efficiency of the surrounding props is also increased.

Assuning 13.5 inch props, length is around one metre.

Efficiency could be further increased by adding another six props, increasing length to around 1.5M, but I'm not sure how much this would weigh. There are regulations applying to these things.

I don't know if other factors are involved, most hexacopters have their props placed far apart. This improves manouverability, but is this at the cost of efficiency (read 'flight time') or are there other factors I've not considered?

EDIT: I calculate the rduction in peripheral losses with the above design to be ~43%, compared to a design with the rotors spaced further apart.
Carbon_Rod
Wed May 21 2014, 04:42PM
Carbon_Rod Registered Member #65 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:43AM
For those interested in a variable pitch aerial quad:
Link2
kit $800:
Link2

These are not a complicated build project.
wink
Ash Small
Wed May 21 2014, 05:39PM
Carbon_Rod wrote ...

For those interested in a variable pitch aerial quad:
Link2
kit $800:
Link2

These are not a complicated build project.
wink

Now I'd argue that a single rotor craft with swash plate is simpler than this quad. You do need four servos for a swashplate, but he has four on this quad anyway.

The efficiency gained by using a single rotor and swashplate would be considerable in this instance.

EDIT: you could use a similar belt drive system as used here to drive the tail rotor, though, and you will need a fifth servo for the variable pitch tail rotor.

You could also use the system depected here in the 'concept heptacopter' design I posted above, with a single motor and belt drive, but you'd need a separate servo for each prop.
Patrick
Wed May 21 2014, 06:09PM
Ash Small wrote ...

The efficiency gained by using a single rotor and swashplate would be considerable in this instance.
your starting to convince me, and to avoid a traditional tail, I'd use vanes. Like the German V2.
Ash Small
Wed May 21 2014, 08:34PM
Patrick wrote ...

Ash Small wrote ...

your starting to convince me, and to avoid a traditional tail, I'd use vanes. Like the German V2.

I can post a sketch of what I consider to be a fairly simple swashplate design if you like, but it probably won't be for a few days at least. I imagine most of it would survive a catastophic crash, especially if the props were designed to shear off.
Patrick
Fri May 23 2014, 05:37PM
id like to see it, please post when able Ash.
Ash Small
Fri May 23 2014, 07:59PM
Patrick wrote ...

Ok, I'll try and get something together this weekend. In the meantime here are some images of some spherical bearings: Link2
Patrick
Fri May 23 2014, 08:50PM
Ash Small wrote ...

Patrick wrote ...

Ok, I'll try and get something together this weekend. In the meantime here are some images of some spherical bearings: Link2
im starting to come around Ash, ive seen these before, and i typically ask those who advocate for it, if the motor, shaft and prop hub are all rigid but with the shaft going through the hole? so the motor casing torque is held where? and the motor is otherwise free to move by the servo-swash action.

reply when you can, TY
Ash Small
Sat May 24 2014, 10:07AM
Patrick wrote ...

Ash Small wrote ...

Patrick wrote ...

im starting to come around Ash, ive seen these before, and i typically ask those who advocate for it, if the motor, shaft and prop hub are all rigid but with the shaft going through the hole? so the motor casing torque is held where? and the motor is otherwise free to move by the servo-swash action.

reply when you can, TY

The motor is fixed. the swashplate mounts on the spherical bearing. You then need something like a pair of taper roller bearings on the swashplate, which allows the swashplate to spin with the shaft while being controlled by the servos. I'll try to get a sketch together later today. It's all in my head, I just need to get it into CAD.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: