All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

ArcAttack! Tesla Gun

first  3 4 5 6
Move Thread LAN_403
Steve Ward
Mon Aug 06 2012, 04:49AM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
What size doorknob caps do you need? I have some here I could contribute to your experiments. I have some 30KV and 50KV caps. I dont mind contributing you have contributed a lot so I could certainly hook ya up with either 2700pF or 1700pF, 30KV and 50KV respectively.

Very generous offer! But sadly, i have a bunch of similar doorknob caps and they are simply too much capacitance. My MMC added just 17pF total.

What are your secondary self-capacitance without the MMC, and your topload capacitance ? (to give me an idea of the secondary MMC value I should start with).

Im not sure if i remember that. Its a 3.3"x6" winding of 28awg with a 2"x8" toroid. I want to say ~8pF for the coil and toroid together.
PhilGood
Sat Aug 11 2012, 09:03PM
PhilGood Registered Member #3806 Joined: Sat Apr 02 2011, 09:20PM

Thanks Steve for the additional info smile So basically twice the secondary+topload capacitance seems a good value to start with.

Steve Ward wrote ...

Hopefully thats enough info for you to recreate it for your VTTC. Im not sure if a coil will benefit from the added capacitance unless its streamer capacitance starts to exceed the self-capacitance of the coil. But, i think its a worthy experiment still!
I recently measured my VTTC resonnant frequency (during operation) at 1.948MHz

Then I tried to measure the resonnant frequency of primary and secondary using the Grid-Dipping method

I found the primary resonant frequency to be 1.946MHz, so almost equal to the coil operation frequency.

When I mesured the secondary free resonant frequency, I found it to be above 2MHz (dunno the exact value cause my signal generator max frequency is 2MHz sad)

Then I added a piece of 15cm lenght (my coil's streamer lenght) copper wire to my topload, pointing outwards, and my secondary resonnant frequency was down to the expected 1.950MHz !

So I think we can say any spark lenght will detune the coil.

And as you suggested in you first post there might be other benefits in adding capacitance to the secondary. I'm really curious about this and will try it on my VTTC as soon as I get suitable caps smile

Conundrum
Tue Aug 14 2012, 05:50PM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
A useful trick is to use a very fine nozzle and helium supply to make the arcs longer.
This particular method was pioneered by He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named but works well.

Google "Amasci" ...

testtest
Wed Aug 15 2012, 11:53PM
testtest Registered Member #3271 Joined: Mon Oct 04 2010, 02:29AM
interesting photo. Awesome.
1)
would a small fan blowing forced air in the center of the coil help make the sparks and discharge more straight? You probably dont want to carry an inert gas tank too.

2) hope you have not tried this with someone that has a pacemaker, or insulin metering device, or...... you get the picture!

nice work smile`
first  3 4 5 6

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: