Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/11 ramses (16)
05/11 Arcstarter (31)
05/11 Zak (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Royer induction heater

Move Thread LAN_403
Marko
Fri Aug 26 2011, 12:15AM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Well gabriel, your power level looks pretty close to mine, your capacitor is somewhat smaller, and you're likely using a smaller workpiece. Try putting some coins in, they have high flux catching area and should heat up very quickly, and you should be able to melt quite large pieces of aluminum too. If you kept the heating time too long without water cooling I'd even worry whether your caps got damaged by the conducted heat, you could at least use two buckets and soem tube if you don't have a water tap nearby.

I would try stripping your caps down to 2uF and try a 60V run, then add some back if the voltage doesn't sag too much.

Gabriel35
Fri Aug 26 2011, 01:49AM
Gabriel35 Registered Member #2310 Joined: Wed Aug 19 2009, 08:04PM
Well Marko!
I got that idea of the coin too... It really heats very nice and almost started melting...
I think that the secret is on the inductive coupling that the coil have with the material and it's shape...
Maybe I'll need some bigger (And separate) heatsinks for my mosfets, some equally rated caps, and a rewound MOT...
I'm a little scared to try a 72 run (or 60v when it sags) I don't know if the driver will "Like" that initial peak of 72v (I'm afraid to kill my mosfets) What do you think?
Coz I think that if I get things to work with 60v, so maybe i don't need the MOT...(pretty diffcult to find here)

Thank you, and lets keep the progress of the topic and the project!
Marko
Fri Aug 26 2011, 02:22AM
Hi gabriel,

the idea is to turn your supply on on mains side so that the circuit never even sees the 70V peak of fully charged caps. But I think it would be fine even if you plugged it straight in any way, I've overvolted mine a few times and it seemed quite resillent.

Marko
Gabriel35
Fri Aug 26 2011, 02:59AM
So let me see if i understood, you're talking me to maintain everything wired out, and just turn on the both transformers using a switch on the 220v wall side?
If is that... I've always done like that... Because my switch here is pluging and unpluging the transformers from the 220v mains...
Isn't a good idea changinh the 470 Ohm resistors and maybe the 10K too, with higher values like 1K? (Using 60v)?
And what about the ideia of the step up transformer? Is it easy to blow the driver up with it?
I heard some folks saying that Inductance value of the two inductors may vary, (increase for more voltage (output), decrease for more current (output)). Is that true?
Is that's true Ill try to take some windings of the inductors out.
Marko
Fri Aug 26 2011, 04:17AM
I'm not sure why would you want astep up transformer with high supply voltage. I think it only makes sense if you're using like 12V and a lot of current.

I woulld leave the 470 ohm resistors, if they and the zeners are suitably rated, as they are.

Again, if the inductors re big enough that ripple current in them is minimal (as it should be for the operation of this circuit) then increasing them will have no effect at all. Too small inductors might lead to atypical operation with blown mosfets as the most likely result :(
Gabriel35
Fri Aug 26 2011, 12:33PM
Oh, OK!...I understand... So the two Inductors are not critical componentes of the circuit...
So... Turning the transformers on by pluging and unpluging them directly from the wall, the circuit will never "see" the 72v Peak?

I'll make some changes to Heatsinks of my Mosfets today, and see If I can get a MOT...
I'll post news soon, as well as photos.

Thank you!

Got New Photos...

Link2
Link2
Link2
Link2
Link2

And a Video

Link2

What Do you guys think? Lets keep the progress of the topic!
Post more videos of yours Marko!

Thank you friends!
Nah
Thu Sept 15 2011, 07:46PM
Nah Registered Member #3567 Joined: Mon Jan 03 2011, 10:49PM
Hi!

I just bought 4 0.004 uf, 1.5 kilovolt, transmitting mica caps at 40 amps at 1 kilocylcle. Could I parellel them to get 160 amps at 1kilocylcle? Would they work?

Thank!

Paul
Gabriel35
Fri Sept 16 2011, 02:18AM
The capacitance seems a little low for me
Nah
Fri Sept 16 2011, 09:17PM
Nah Registered Member #3567 Joined: Mon Jan 03 2011, 10:49PM
oops...
They are all 0.09 mfd.
Tonskulus
Mon Sept 19 2011, 04:22PM
Tonskulus Registered Member #1223 Joined: Thu Jan 10 2008, 04:32PM
Looking very good!
But, can we push this simple circuit even further? As we know, using low voltage/high current is making quite a lot switching losses. Can we resolve the problem using maybe 100Volts, even 200Volts but lower current for IGBT/mosfets?
Ok, first of all we need separated bias supply for gates.

But the main problem is that quite low impedance tank circuit. There would be huge circulating tank current if we simply put 200VDC to that circuit!

Somekind of impedance matching network is required. Transformer? Yes, maybe.. but tank circuit has to be after the transformer (tho, it works on primary side but this method will make some big power losses in transformer and requires heavy duty transformer anyway).

Then what happens to the feedback?
Im not so sure if it can be taken from the secondary (center tapped and grounded?) side of matching transformer...

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: