All today's birthdays', congrats!
cbfull (52)
Steve Ward (39)

Next birthdays
05/20 Vaxian (17)
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Steve's Q.C.W coil design

Move Thread LAN_403
raff
Sat Mar 20 2010, 03:04AM
raff Registered Member #2315 Joined: Tue Aug 25 2009, 02:35AM
OT

hey hvguy

your uploaded pictures seem to have virus? I get this RED SCREEN with a warning sign...
cjk2
Sat Mar 20 2010, 04:09AM
cjk2 Registered Member #51 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:17AM
Those results with a primary current of only 140A are very impressive. I am surprised you chose to use mini bricks for a current that low. Don't the to-247 devices handle 200A or so? Perhaps you have plans to build a bigger coil using this idea? I was also surprised by the fact that you used a synchronous buck converter, If i do attempt this type of coil, I will probably just use an ultrafast diode in place of the second switch.
BSVi
Sat Mar 20 2010, 06:58AM
BSVi Registered Member #1637 Joined: Sat Aug 16 2008, 04:47AM
The physics is quite simple, I guess.

Firstly, you create plasma channel and heat it up. When plasma forms, it loads secondary and prevents excessive voltage rise - thats why streamer doesnt strikes into primary or strike ring.

Secondly, when air get ionized, you apply more power, and thus compenase for losses. The easiest way for current to get closed is to propangade throuh ionized air.

The streamer is held in vertical plane by toroid's field and, I think, you can get even longer sparks by increasing toroid's diameter.

And question again - what coupling do you use? I expect it to be near 0.4 or so. Quite impressive!
dex
Sat Mar 20 2010, 10:39AM
dex Registered Member #2566 Joined: Wed Dec 23 2009, 05:52PM
Just on the contrary.The physics involved is quite complicated.
Many of the things ,especially regarding optimization of the driving mode for the longest possible spark:
a) given peak voltage
b) given peak power and frequency

are poorly understood...
Steve Ward
Sat Mar 20 2010, 04:57PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
The streamer is held in vertical plane by toroid's field and, I think, you can get even longer sparks by increasing toroid's diameter.

I used to agree with that, but not anymore. The streamers are more than 6X the diameter of the toroid, certainly not "near field". The propagation is fairly independent of the toroid field i believe.

BTW, its not that i dont have any clue about the plasma stuff, im just not willing to claim that i understand it. So very basic observations are not likely to benefit *me*.

Those results with a primary current of only 140A are very impressive. I am surprised you chose to use mini bricks for a current that low. Don't the to-247 devices handle 200A or so? Perhaps you have plans to build a bigger coil using this idea? I was also surprised by the fact that you used a synchronous buck converter, If i do attempt this type of coil, I will probably just use an ultrafast diode in place of the second switch.

ONLY 140A?? I think you miss the implications of running long pulses, there is serious heating of the device. Though i did run similar conditions of about 80A peak using some TO-247 transistors and got to 45" sparks running them right at 600V bus, where they then failed (not unexpected).

BTW, i should mention that im over the whole idea of pushing parts way beyond their reasonable limits. It really doesnt get you anywhere in the long run.
teravolt
Sat Mar 20 2010, 06:02PM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
Hello Steve, it seems that the rather large primary has the added effect if increasing your coupling, do you think that that helps in power transfer to your spark since you use a system that is geared to a CW operation? It seems that your primary and secondary is more efficient than a regular setup. Because your tesla primary is a high impedance primary and you use less current do you have to increase the amount of voltage to make up the wattage or do think the coupling is good enough or both
Arcstarter
Sun Mar 21 2010, 03:00AM
Arcstarter Registered Member #1225 Joined: Sat Jan 12 2008, 01:24AM
BTW, i should mention that im over the whole idea of pushing parts way beyond their reasonable limits. It really doesnt get you anywhere in the long run.

I am hereby revoking your coiler license!

My guess was that the plasma that forms when the buss voltage is low acts like a breakout point for the next increase in steamer size and so on. Whatever if i am wrong, i have it all worked out in my mind, how i think it would happen. cheesey I can just kinda visualize it working. I am weird like that.
Dalus
Sun Mar 21 2010, 08:42AM
Dalus Registered Member #639 Joined: Wed Apr 11 2007, 09:09PM
My guess would be that a ramped wave form of the bus voltage allows for a slower growth of a streamer. There is more energy put into a smaller distance of streamer then with a conventional DRSSTC. The more energy in a streamer the hotter it is and the longer it stays ionized. This is just a guess but it might be a nice project to research this with highspeed camera's whilst measuring different parameters of the coil and trying to figure out a relationship between them.
brtaman
Sun Mar 21 2010, 11:11PM
brtaman Registered Member #2161 Joined: Fri Jun 05 2009, 03:36PM
Personally, I find it quite cool that you are not disclosing the exact way in which the QCW works. I think it may be grounds for a challange of sorts for all the coilers on the forum.

Basically we all start designing/experimenting on making a coil similar to Steve Wards and at a set point (3 months or so), we open a thread with pictures and disclose how we came to the result. I think it would be quite interesting to see how the different minds on this forum each had their own way of achieving the "Prancing Sword" style tesla coil?

What do you guys think about that? Personally I am already hunting for some mini-bricks or an extremely fast 32mm packaged brick, as to-247 and 264 just aren't going to cut it on the thermal front, as Steve mentioned. smile

Best Regards,
brtaman
GeordieBoy
Mon Mar 22 2010, 05:11PM
GeordieBoy Registered Member #1232 Joined: Wed Jan 16 2008, 10:53PM
A challange sounds like a good idea. I've already thrown out all my solid-state gubbins and started investing in those infamous 4CX250B's ! wink wink wink wink

-Richie,

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: