Zajcek (37)
ElectroDog (33)
sportcoupe (56)

Next birthdays
04/30 BlakFyre (36)
04/30 SENTRY (31)
05/01 Shaun (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Railgun

first  4 5 6 7 
Move Thread LAN_403
Plasmaniac
Wed Feb 22 2006, 06:09PM
Plasmaniac Registered Member #206 Joined: Sat Feb 18 2006, 03:17PM
I use a spring-injector:

1140631419 206 FT716 Img 2088

I dont use it to get higher speeds, the projectile wouldn't even leave the rails if I accelerate it just with my injector. I use the injector because I am a poor student who doesn't have enough money to buy a big scr tongue I think it would be the best choice for you, if you don't have that much time left.
Quantum Singularity
Thu Feb 23 2006, 01:22AM
Quantum Singularity Registered Member #158 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:53PM
I have made some 'poor mans buss bars' before and they seemed to work fine. Didnt know if anyone else might have done something like this? I took copper tubing, like maybe 1" tubbing or so (cant remember exactly) and flattened out about 6" or so at each end and drilled hole for mounting via bolt. I cant remember if I flattened it with my 5" vise or by large hammer, or maybe both.

Something I was wondering, is it important to feed the rails with buss that feeds in fairly straight fromt the back to avoid a magnetic field that might interfere with the field in the rails? I ask because in my crappy prototype my projectile shot straight up out of the rails rather than going down the rails. I thought maybe because my power was comming into the rails from a 45* angle down and back from the rails. But it was a crappy design anyways though, i didnt really expect it to work. But maybe someday I'll start back in on the project wink
J.Lanum
Thu Feb 23 2006, 02:24AM
J.Lanum Registered Member #161 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 03:15AM
So buss bars are an option, but what type of wire do I need if I choose to go that way.
Self Defenestrate
Thu Feb 23 2006, 03:51PM
Self Defenestrate Registered Member #87 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 01:36PM
Some really big thick wire. Perhaps you could cut off the clamps on a jumper cable, and rip the bits apart. That would suffice.
Jasonr
Thu Feb 23 2006, 05:25PM
Jasonr Registered Member #167 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 06:41PM
or copper water pipe put inside some type of clear plastic hose for insualtion will work ok. also you can crush the ends and drill a hole to make connection points.
You can also put extra wire inside the copper pipe (insulation stripped off) to be a better conductor.
Madgyver
Thu Feb 23 2006, 07:14PM
Madgyver Registered Member #177 Joined: Wed Feb 15 2006, 02:16PM
Jasonr wrote ...

Yes you could do that. However a spring means you need to be right by the rail! I tell you what I have no desire to be with in 25feet of mine. But that is not an apples to apples compare.

Well, you still could use something like a realllllly loooong stick or just a small piece of wood and a 25feet long rope.
J.Lanum
Fri Feb 24 2006, 03:14PM
When the capacitors discharge their energy into the rails, how long does that duration last?
M_Gargantua
Thu Mar 02 2006, 04:50PM
M_Gargantua Registered Member #276 Joined: Thu Mar 02 2006, 04:40PM
only an instant.

Madgyver wrote ...
Well, you still could use something like a realllllly loooong stick or just a small piece of wood and a 25feet long rope.p

or you could use a swinging rubber mallet attacted to a cradle above the rails
J.Lanum
Fri Mar 03 2006, 12:13AM
How should I go about charging my caps? Can I use a standard 110v oulet? I'm pretty sure I can't but I need clarification on what I can and cannot use.
Fri Mar 03 2006, 12:24AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
you can't use a normal 110v outlet, however with a few modifications you can.
the first thing you will need is a diode rectifier, almost any diode will work, and you will need 4 of them. This will give you about 170v, but since you are using 450v caps you will not get even half of the energy available.
So you can use a voltage doubler, which will give you 340v, or a tripler which will give you about 500v.
Because the caps will appear as a short circuit to the mains when they first charge you also need to add a ballast resistor to them. To keep power to a reasonable .1a you would need about 5k worth of resistance, and this resistor should be able to dissipate about 25w. (assuming a voltage tripler charger).
You also need to include the simple safety devices, a fuse in series with it, a bleeder resistor on the caps, etc.

If you do go the tripler route, you will need to have a way to stop it charging when the caps get to a high enough voltage. If you have a variac it would be a good way to do it, and it would eliminate the need for a ballast resistor (just raise the voltage slowly). If you don't you can just use a switch to turn of the charger when they get full.

Good luck and be safe!

btw, the caps went out today smile
first  4 5 6 7 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: