Finn Hammer (72)
Blue Adept (43)
Nickel (68)

Next birthdays
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
05/17 Blue Adept (43)
05/17 Nickel (68)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

"Thumper"

Move Thread LAN_403
Steve Conner
Thu May 28 2009, 11:39AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
GeordieBoy wrote ...

Perhaps a similar approach should be adopted for peak current rating of IGBTs in DRSSTCs too! wink

Richie and I have been saying this for years, look in the forum archives for our arguments! smile To summarize: If the manufacturer thought it would take 4000 amps reliably, he'd use that in his advertising literature: "Best-in-class pulse current capability"! Of course, a Chevy engine was never designed to put out 4000hp reliably either, but that doesn't stop drag racers. You basically have to decide whether you're driving your IGBTs to the store to get groceries, or drag racing them, in which case don't be too surprised if they throw a rod clean through the crankcase, so to speak.

Having said that, I've seen Richie running 500V MOSFETs off a 499V DC bus. When I asked him if that was safe, he turned it up to 501!

I also want to mention that I've never liked this N/P channel MOSFET circuit, I think it's straight outa the ghetto! You can tweak it to make it work, but MOSFET threshold voltages change wildly with temperature, so you can't guarantee that it'll continue working. I've never seen any way of driving the P-channel highside device that didn't just look like a hack. When I went to make isolated gate drivers for my abandoned Odin project, I used two N-channel devices driven by a little GDT.

A certain amount of shoot-through is sometimes tolerated in the interests of speed. The 555 timer's output stage is famous for it (the datasheet even admits it) and 4000 series CMOS also do it on 15V. That's why you must never leave unused inputs floating: if they get into the linear region, both MOSFETs in the output buffer turn on at once, and they burn up.
Dr. Drone
Thu May 28 2009, 06:12PM
Dr. Drone Registered Member #290 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 08:24PM
shades
Finn Hammer
Thu May 28 2009, 08:26PM
Finn Hammer Registered Member #205 Joined: Sat Feb 18 2006, 11:59AM
Steve, Richie

I dont think anyone in their right mind are questioning your collective judgement regarding silicon durability.
Datasheets specify pulse currents to 50Hz, so obviously there is headroom, but for the reasons you mention, there is little incentive to advertise shorter pulses.
Like Richie said @ one meeting in Canbridge: "If you violate specksheet ratings, you are on your own!".

This is true, but on the other side, I have built Museum coils that operate CM600´s into the thousands of amperes for years on end, so I for one feel quite comfortable being on my own there.

Anyway, now that it has been made official that my gate driver totem pole is a _HACK_, let me say that the best reason I have for liking the PNP/NPN output is that I understand it.
If I could understand your gate driver, from Odin, I might have a go at it, although it contains 3 transistors and a dual output winding gate transformer.

I would appreciate it, if you walk us through the circuit and tell us how it works.

1243542299 205 FT68820 Connergatedrv

Cheers, Finn Hammer
hvguy
Fri May 29 2009, 04:49AM
hvguy Registered Member #289 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 10:45AM
Finn Hammer wrote ...

The video showed a current sweep from 50A to 500A.

About gate drive: I am having a very hard time justifying my initial desicion to use opto's and separate gate drivers, when it would be so much simpler to build a nice little semi-high voltage bridge, and drive a step down gate drive transformer.
It is no easy task to configure the totem pole output stage of the driver and get both zero shoot trough as well as high current output ability:
When I slow down the turn on enough to keep shoot trough low, the turn on is prolonged so that the ability to deliver current within the time frame of turning on of the IGBT is impaired.
I will try the old trick with zeners on the gate, which you may recall from the days of the beefy driver.

(didn'd help)

What I _really_ need is a tiny NTC resistor, which could delay the ramp up to miller plateau, then turn low resistance there, to allow fast full turn on.

Well, this is fun anyway, and perhaps I should just make that bridge/gate tranny and get on with it.

Thanks for -your- work. It was the work of pioneers like yourself that got me started.

Cheers, Finn Hammer

I understand the appeal of the totem pole. It's compact, simple, and easy to build. It's not quite that simple to tweak though wink Honestly, there are very few applications I can justify not using a GDT in. No floating PS, many KV isolation, nearly impossible to break (although I did blow one up once), bipolar, and they won't cause shoot though in a bridge. I understand what Richie says about leakage slowing things down, but this can be easily designed out. There are commercial GDTs with 600V/uS and higher slew rates available. I think putting 18V on your gate in 30ns (obviously there are other variables here, but you get the point) is probably good enough for most apps smile

I do use direct gate drive in applications where the duty cycle will be changing very rapidly and/or to a high degree (Class D, etc.). GDTs just don't quite cut it here, IMO.

A dual gate drive IC driving a small GDT, which in turn drives a full bridge of Low Rds ON FETs running off a single 20V rail which is then used to drive a large, well designed GDT, could easily match the speed of an N/P-ch setup when driving a CM600. I have even experimented with the concept of an off-line gate driver. I used this to drive CM1000's in my 16" DRSSTC to make +20' arcs with great results. The only problem was the Fo of 70KHz cause excessive dissipation in the painfully slow CM1000's. I've got another big one in the works, though, with an Fo of ~35KHz to resolve this issue.

I'm glad to see the SS stuff has taken off like it has. This whole SSTC/DRSSTC thing still seems so new to me; it’s funny to think I've been working on it for more than a decade suprised It gets even better when I see people who's first TC EVER is SS. I would have never thought people would consider an SS design over a SG design to cut their teeth on...
Finn Hammer
Fri May 29 2009, 06:56AM
hvguy wrote ...

A dual gate drive IC driving a small GDT, which in turn drives a full bridge of Low Rds ON FETs running of a single 20V rail which is then used to drive a large, well designed GDT, could easily match the speed of and N/P-ch setup when driving a CM600. I have even experimented with the concept of an off-line gate driver. I used this to drive CM1000's in my 16" DRSSTC to make +20' arcs with great results. The only problem was the Fo of 70KHz cause excessive dissipation in the painfully slow CM1000's. I've got another big one is the works though with a Fo of ~35KHz so resolve this issue.

Decisions,Decisions.

Well I am going to the end with this N/P driver, then I'l try that fancy high voltage full bridge driver with step down gate transformers. I have a nice ferrite part here waiting to get planted on a pcb, which could be used to split the signals.

1243580005 205 FT68820 Ferrite

After all, it is simpler that way, trade one full bridge with 4 half bridges.

Cheers, Finn Hammer
hvguy
Fri May 29 2009, 07:22AM
hvguy Registered Member #289 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 10:45AM
Well, you definitely of a ton of options smile

Steve W.'s "new" driver with a N/P full bridge uses a creative boot strap arrangement that may be worth looking into if you haven't already. Also, as i'm sure you know, finding a good set of matched part numbers helps. There are so many different brands/ratings to chose from it can be hard to find a "good" complementary pair.

Steve's driver: Link2
Steve Conner
Fri May 29 2009, 09:12AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Maybe I was a little mean about the N/P circuit. But the one thing I still don't like about it is that the gate driver is referenced to the 0V rail, whereas the gate of the P-FET is referenced to the supply rail. This change of reference means that any noise on the supply rail (ringing from transients etc) could be amplified by the P-FET as if it was gate drive. This is a potential source of instability, so, good decoupling of the supply rail is uber important.

Finn, a good starting point might be to put capacitors across those zeners. Also, you can have my set of Odin drivers and the power supply to play with if you want them. They were designed to work with my PLL system, but I don't see any reason why they shouldn't work with a Steve Ward driver. Condition, you must rename your coil to Odin The Ball-Thumper wink

How the circuit works: It's basically a normal half-bridge, except that the low-side MOSFET is driven through an intermediate small FET, which inverts the signal. The phase of the low-side GDT winding is reversed to compensate this inversion.

The reason for this is to make sure that the low-side MOSFET stays on in the absence of any gate drive, clamping the main IGBT securely off. If I just drove both FETs straight from the GDT, then they would both be off in between bursts, leaving the main IGBT gate floating.

As a side benefit, this intermediate stage turns the low-side FET off somewhat faster than it turns it on, which helps to prevent shoot-through.

The diodes D1 and D2 provide two alternate sources of power for this little FET circuit: the main power supply, and a rectified sample of the gate drive. This prevents a spectacular failure mode that I found: if the power supply fails but the gate drive continues, then the high-side FET carries on working, but the low-side one dies. The result is that all four main IGBTs got turned on at once.

More discussion of this driver here: Link2
GeordieBoy
Fri May 29 2009, 12:54PM
GeordieBoy Registered Member #1232 Joined: Wed Jan 16 2008, 10:53PM
The "step-down" GDT drive method is a very good technique for driving highly capacitive devices, (or parallel combinations of devices.)

It is particularly effective when the GDT is placed very close to the IGBT brick / MOSFETs being driven. The transformation property of the GDT steps down the drive voltage but steps up the drive current by the same ratio. This means that you can get lots of amps available right at the device's gate terminal. It transforms the gate impedance by the square of the turns ratio. Meaning that if you have an 8nF Cg device and a 4:1 GDT, the effective capacitance seen at the drive side is only 500pF.

A drive circuit using the same 4:1 GDT is also 16 times more tolerant of any stray-inductance on the drive side (primary) of the GDT than the secondary side. This means that it should be placed right on top of the gates being driven, but longer twisted pairs can be tolerated on the primary side running back to the driver circuitry.

Finally it is worth remembering that lightening fast isn't always best. In general turn-off should be faster than turn-on. This is because when a device turns off the current it was carrying is handed to a diode. Conversely when a device turns on it grabs the load current from a diode. In general diodes are much faster at turning on than they are at turning off. In other words you can usually turn off a MOSFET or IGBT as quickly as possible with little fear that the diode might not turn on fast enough and catch the current. The opposite cannot be said, however. Diodes are slow to turn-off and therefore it is not a good idea to turn on a switch too quickly otherwise there will be a horrendous surge of reverse-recovery current through both devices.

In a DRSSTC circuit there is the added quirk that the load current is sinusoidal. This means that if you switch your devices somewhere close to the zero current crossings things should be less critical in terms of power dissipation. It also means that the device being turned on can be done so at a more leisurely pace. As the load current rises the device only needs to be turned on sufficiently to support the instantaneous load current that is flowing. As time passes and the sinewave load current builds, then the device needs to be enhanced futher and further to prevent de-saturation.

Getting this turn-on rate just right gives the holy grail of power electronics:

1. The coolest possible device temperatures
2. The cleanest switching waveforms
3. The minimum of radiated interference

-Richie,

EDIT: I should clarify that direct gate-drive as in Steve C's circuit is better than via a GDT because you have direct control over the gate in terms of rise and fall times and much less stray inductance between the drive circuit and the actual device gate. However, the "step-down" GDT method is better than a normal 1:1 GDT for the reasons discussed.
Finn Hammer
Fri May 29 2009, 06:03PM
Steve McConner wrote ...

Finn, a good starting point might be to put capacitors across those zeners.

I have 330µF sitting less than 10mm (3/8") from the zeners. These are of course referenced to the groundplane on top of the board. Then the Opto has 2 x 100nF each going from rails to ground plane, with only 2,54mm (1/10") from supply pins to caps.. Finally, the source legs of poth MosFets each have a 47µF low esr surface mount tantalum, again referenced to ground and never more than 5mm from the pins. Pcb is 105µ, so able to carry current. Does that bypass scheme sound reasonable to you?
Steve McConner wrote ...

Also, you can have my set of Odin drivers and the power supply to play with if you want them. They were designed to work with my PLL system, but I don't see any reason why they shouldn't work with a Steve Ward driver. Condition, you must rename your coil to Odin The Ball-Thumper wink

That is a sweet offer, and I hope you will leave it open for later. Reason: I have to learn from any mistakes I make. If this coil fails, then I'd love to make Odin come true. Only condition: Since you hurt me so, with the ghetto remarks (here where I thought I was being elegant) The coils name is Odin the Ghetto Blaster. It's a good name and about time to name good Ole Odin something contemporary. They weren't whimps, those old gods. wink
Steve McConner wrote ...

How the circuit works: It's basically a normal half-bridge, except that the low-side MOSFET is driven through an intermediate small FET, which inverts the signal. The phase of the low-side GDT winding is reversed to compensate this inversion.

The reason for this is to make sure that the low-side MOSFET stays on in the absence of any gate drive, clamping the main IGBT securely off. If I just drove both FETs straight from the GDT, then they would both be off in between bursts, leaving the main IGBT gate floating.

As a side benefit, this intermediate stage turns the low-side FET off somewhat faster than it turns it on, which helps to prevent shoot-through.

The diodes D1 and D2 provide two alternate sources of power for this little FET circuit: the main power supply, and a rectified sample of the gate drive. This prevents a spectacular failure mode that I found: if the power supply fails but the gate drive continues, then the high-side FET carries on working, but the low-side one dies. The result is that all four main IGBTs got turned on at once.

More discussion of this driver here: Link2

Thanks for that explanation. It was in particular the 2 diodes and the 100nF cap that had me puzzeled.

Cheers, Finn Hammer
Dr. Drone
Fri May 29 2009, 06:38PM
Dr. Drone Registered Member #290 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 08:24PM
shades

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: