All today's birthdays', congrats!
cbfull (52)
Steve Ward (39)

Next birthdays
05/20 Vaxian (17)
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Resonant MOT arcs

first  4 5 6 7 
Move Thread LAN_403
Mads Barnkob
Fri Jun 06 2008, 07:41PM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
Dr. Monsterarc wrote ...

MadsKaizer wrote ...

Calculating the resonating frequency is like a standard LC circuit? As I am currently not home I cant measure the inductance of the secondary and give it a go.
Resonant frequency is determined by capacitance and leakage inductance of your MOT. Short the MOT primary and then measure the secondary inductance.

unballasted it draws around 1250W, with another as ballast I will draw about twice as much right? and my only single phased circuit breaker for my appartment is at 10A / 230Vac. I would have to remove my oven to access the 3phased 16A isntallation if I want more :(

thanks about the measurement, I forgot to short the primary so the value was off the meter, turns out i accidently hit the sweet spot I guess, with a secondary inductance of 5.55H and 1.81uF capacitor bank its freq. is 50Hz, same as the primary.
Fraggle
Tue Jun 10 2008, 12:27AM
Fraggle Registered Member #1526 Joined: Mon Jun 09 2008, 12:56AM
It will draw LESS current with the ballast.

This is my first post...Hello!
Dr. Dark Current
Tue Jun 10 2008, 06:14AM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
MadsKaizer wrote ...

unballasted it draws around 1250W, with another as ballast I will draw about twice as much right? and my only single phased circuit breaker for my appartment is at 10A / 230Vac. I would have to remove my oven to access the 3phased 16A isntallation if I want more :(
Maybe it will draw a bit more, as it will probably drift off the resonance for a little. But this little "slip" will make for more stable arcs.

Fraggle wrote ...

It will draw LESS current with the ballast.

This is my first post...Hello!
Hi Fraggle and welcome to 4hv smile
You may not be right as this resonant circuit behaves differently than just "plain" transformer. If in proper resonance, it will draw little current with output shorted and the current will go up as you draw out the arc.

Spedy
Tue Jun 10 2008, 06:33PM
Spedy Registered Member #964 Joined: Wed Aug 22 2007, 12:39AM
Weee! Finaly got my 2-MOC setup working. Turns out that second MOT for ballast wasn't needed. 6" arcs are good enough for now smile I might be getting another microwave off of freecycle, so I'll have even more stuff to work with.
Video coming soon (found out my camera has a short video-clip option. Too bad there's no sound, the BZZZZT sounds sooo cool..
Dr. Dark Current
Tue Jun 10 2008, 08:00PM
Spedy wrote ...

Weee! Finaly got my 2-MOC setup working. Turns out that second MOT for ballast wasn't needed. 6" arcs are good enough for now smile I might be getting another microwave off of freecycle, so I'll have even more stuff to work with.
Video coming soon (found out my camera has a short video-clip option. Too bad there's no sound, the BZZZZT sounds sooo cool..
I don't think 6" is that much... do you have another capacitor? If so connect it in parallel, it should increase the arc length considerably, for some lower leakage transformers it is not uncommon it can double.

Fraggle
Tue Jun 10 2008, 11:50PM
Fraggle Registered Member #1526 Joined: Mon Jun 09 2008, 12:56AM
I agree, you ought to get longer arcs than that. I found that some ballast stopped the arcs blowing out so quickly and stopped my fuse blowing, this is why I suspect lower current draw. I think pulling out some shunts from the transformer might lower the inductance a bit and help you tune in but I`ve not tried that.

wrote ...
Hi Fraggle and welcome to 4hv

Spedy
Wed Jun 11 2008, 01:04AM
I'm just guessing, it could be up to 10-12". I'll hold it next to a ruler on the next run. Sorry, the two MOCS are all I have. They're in parallel w/ each other and in series with the MOT'S output. I might try prying out one of the shunt layers later.
Edit: aww, the freecycle microwave was taken. ahh well..

Edit 2: Wait, how exactly do you remove the shunts? I've used a screwdriver to pound one out of the core most of the way, but now it won't budge any more... Also, it seems pretty much impossible to remove individual shunt pieces. I assume you meant the groups on either side of the core center.
Dr. Dark Current
Wed Jun 11 2008, 12:29PM
Spedy wrote ...

Edit 2: Wait, how exactly do you remove the shunts? I've used a screwdriver to pound one out of the core most of the way, but now it won't budge any more... Also, it seems pretty much impossible to remove individual shunt pieces. I assume you meant the groups on either side of the core center.
Do NOT remove the shunts. You want to add inductance, not lower it.

Spedy
Wed Jun 11 2008, 04:52PM
Arg! mixed signals >.<
Ok then, how do I ADD inductance? (goes to pound shunt back in)
Dr. Dark Current
Wed Jun 11 2008, 05:03PM
Spedy wrote ...

Arg! mixed signals >.<
Ok then, how do I ADD inductance? (goes to pound shunt back in)
Well if it works well with the shunts in, leave it alone, otherwise you can add inductance by a ballast (sec. shorted) MOT.

How do you know when you need more inductance? If the inductance is too low, the arcs will not be stable and make funny noises before they go out. Also quickly drawn arcs will be much longer than slowly drawn ones.

On the other hand if you have too much inductance, the resonant rise will not be as apparent and the arcs will be smaller no matter what you do (and they won't make any funny noises).

first  4 5 6 7 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: