All today's birthdays', congrats!
Linas (34)
Toasty (29)

Next birthdays
05/16 kg7bz (68)
05/16 steve516 (31)
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Small Tesla Coil using disposable camera transformers

Move Thread LAN_403
Dragon64
Sat Oct 25 2008, 08:13PM
Dragon64 Registered Member #1438 Joined: Sat Apr 12 2008, 12:57AM
What do you think is the estimated price for all the component?
fatboyslim
Sun Oct 26 2008, 12:33AM
fatboyslim Registered Member #1779 Joined: Sat Oct 25 2008, 11:05AM
Do you also remove the big capacitor as well

And the diodes you use for the multiplier is that the ones you remove from the circuit. Also do you have to solder a wire to the metal push switch to keep it running?

Sorry for all these questions, but what happens if the diode connecting to the transformer is not on the grey strip. iE the The other side. The transformer does not connect to the grey strip side but the other side of the diode

flannelhead
Sun Oct 26 2008, 10:31AM
flannelhead Registered Member #952 Joined: Mon Aug 13 2007, 11:07AM
hydraliskdragon wrote ...

What do you think is the estimated price for all the component?
I'd say 5-10$ depending on where you get your caps and diodes for the multiplier. I got mine from used disposable cameras, but you'll have to get many of them.
fatboyslim wrote ...

Do you also remove the big capacitor as well
You can remove it, however it doesn't matter as it's already isolated from the charging circuit as the diode is removed.
fatboyslim wrote ...

And the diodes you use for the multiplier is that the ones you remove from the circuit.
Yes, you'll have to get many of those camera flash boards.
fatboyslim wrote ...

Also do you have to solder a wire to the metal push switch to keep it running?
Yes, I forgot to add it to the tutorial.
fatboyslim wrote ...

Sorry for all these questions, but what happens if the diode connecting to the transformer is not on the grey strip. iE the The other side. The transformer does not connect to the grey strip side but the other side of the diode
It's ok, your circuit has positive output as some other circuits have negative output. However, it doesn't matter on this circuit. Do as told on the tutorial.

Oh, and please avoid double posting. It's against the forum rules.

Heck, I'm very surprised by the popularity of this little circuit. Maybe I should seriously think of making a revision of the tutorial. And a brand new coil, too! But it's very hard to make a one-for-all tutorial as there are many different types of camera flash circuits.
Zenador
Sun Oct 26 2008, 12:34PM
Zenador Registered Member #1733 Joined: Thu Oct 02 2008, 03:17PM
Why are you supprised? This is a fantastic "mini" project. I built a 10" SGTC, and it works very well. I just can't take it to work. Enter the "micro" SGTC from camera parts. I got 33 used cameras from a photo place and am in the process of building 2 little ones, with some modifications.

I'm putting everything in a "project box", adding a 2P2T switch, and a 3.3v 500ma wallwart. I can use the batteries or wallwart. I just don't want to eat dozens of batteries demo-ing the TC.

In your original photos, you had completly disassembled the boards, and were only using the parts needed. Do you have a schematic of that setup? Even with the diode removed from the HV lead on the xfmr, there is still power being leached into the rest of the board (evident with the LED lighting up)

flannelhead
Sun Oct 26 2008, 12:58PM
flannelhead Registered Member #952 Joined: Mon Aug 13 2007, 11:07AM
Zenador wrote ...

In your original photos, you had completly disassembled the boards, and were only using the parts needed. Do you have a schematic of that setup? Even with the diode removed from the HV lead on the xfmr, there is still power being leached into the rest of the board (evident with the LED lighting up)
There are many types of disposable camera flash boards, mine were from blue Fujifilm cameras. Here is a schematic which most closely represents the circuit in those ones. Just look at the leftmost parts (not including the diode) and you'll figure it out. It's just the transformer, resistor and transistor. For different types of boards, a Google search for "disposable camera schematic" will return many different pages with different schematics. They seem to vary brand by brand, but I've even seen two different Fujifilm ones! If you still can't find a suitable schematic, you must do a bit 'reverse-engineering' to figure out the parts and the schematic which are driving the transformer.

One important note to anyone who is going to build this:
Use commercial capacitors!
Homemade caps just leak out the tiny bit of power coming from the little transformers.
Zenador
Mon Oct 27 2008, 05:59PM
So I finished my "micro" SGTC yesterday. This is the first or many (family/friends are asking for one now...)

I have to say, well done Dr. 2N3055 on your descriptions for building this little guy. I think the biggest pain in the build was the CW multiplier - those little caps just do not want to sit still to solder them together...

changes and results...

6 turns 1mm wire
120mm x 15mm secondary (32AWG magnet wire) (former was the tube you get solder in)
Three 1"x1/16" aluminum crush washers soldered together to make a top load.
Two 2kV 300pF MMC (parallel - series made it worse)
1.5mm spark gap.

I get about 4mm discharges, and continuous arcs just about an inch. The arcs are visible in a lighted room, which was important to me - I had to demo it at my desk at work today...

If you have any other uses for those flash boards, post them up, I have another 30 I can play with....

Z
fatboyslim
Tue Oct 28 2008, 03:23AM
Hay, sorry for double posting. I just got my camera circuit and i got 1386 volts from ONE BATTERY! When i wired the CW multiplier and attached it to the camera circuit nothing happened. Is this because my camera circuit needs a negative multiplier instead of a positive one. The one shown in your tutorial is a positive multiplier according to Link2 Ive hit a wall right now and im unsure what to do. Could the problem be with my multiplier. The diodes i used are from the kodak circuit which are IF16 diodes. Should i use UF4007 or can i use IN4007 instead?
Zenador
Tue Oct 28 2008, 02:19PM
Fatboyslim - Where did you measure the voltage? 1.3kV is too high (IMO) from the big xfmr. That make more sense from the secondary (smaller) xfmr. The smaller one is connected to the copper plate behind the flash bulb to ionize the gas.

From one AA or AAA battery, the larger xfmr should output ~300V. I have 33 disposable flash boards, and they all read roughly the same.

Your board is generating +HV from the large xfmr based on your description of the diode in relation to the outputs. Same as most of mine. Remove the diode completely from the board. The side where the gray stripe was is negative (common) - wire it to the common (-)(GND) of the CW, batteries, everything common. The non-striped side (connected to the large xfmr on the PCB) is the +HV which is wired to the + on the CW.

In my build, all common wires are really common, battery, xfmr, CW, SG, they are all connected. If the common on the CW is NOT connected to the negative (common) of everything else, it still works, just very very slowly. The SG fires only twice a second, so the oscillation is to slow to do anything useful. Properly wired, it works just like a full sized TC, just on a small scale.
fatboyslim
Wed Oct 29 2008, 02:26AM
the second pin from the 3 pin side of the transformer connects on to the grey side of the diode. I removed the diode and soldered a wire to the grey strip side. I measured the voltage from the wire and the negative side of the battery. This gave me the 1.3kv. Where should i read the voltage from? Do i have to have two wires from where the diode used to be? and that is my negative and my positive. I am currently using a fujifilm circuit.
Zenador
Wed Oct 29 2008, 01:32PM
fatboyslim wrote ...

the second pin from the 3 pin side of the transformer connects on to the grey side of the diode.
Ok, Grey side of the diode to the xfmr is negative HV out.

fatboyslim wrote ...

I removed the diode and soldered a wire to the grey strip side. I measured the voltage from the wire and the negative side of the battery. This gave me the 1.3kv. Where should i read the voltage from?
Voltage should be measured from xfmr to positive terminal of the battery (I think) on your board.

fatboyslim wrote ...

Do i have to have two wires from where the diode used to be? and that is my negative and my positive. I am currently using a fujifilm circuit.
Black wire to the grey side where the diode used to be, red wire to the other hole. The CW Multiplier also needs to be built correctly. There are positive CW-M and negative CW-M. Difference is diode direction.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: