All today's birthdays', congrats!
Linas (34)
Toasty (29)

Next birthdays
05/16 kg7bz (68)
05/16 steve516 (31)
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

OMG Induction Heater

Move Thread LAN_403
Tonskulus
Wed Jan 23 2008, 11:31AM
Tonskulus Registered Member #1223 Joined: Thu Jan 10 2008, 04:32PM
Same happened again as always for me. It seemed to work just fine at 110V supplyvoltage. IGBT's and freewheeling diodes didnt get hot, just slightly warm.
Inverter voltage vs. current:
http://www.elisanet.fi/tonskulus/inverter_out.jpg

And then, i decided to try this at full 220V supply voltage. I also added more inductance for zmatch to keep supply current at reasonable level, still 5..7Amps. It didnt last even one minute before igbt failure happened. Both were shorted. Is it possible that some shoottrough happened there for some reason? I had always the same problem with halfbridges driven at >100Volt supply. they wont suffer.
GeordieBoy
Wed Jan 23 2008, 01:51PM
GeordieBoy Registered Member #1232 Joined: Wed Jan 16 2008, 10:53PM
Although the devices died cold, shoot-through seems unlikely as there would be a lot of noise on the voltage waveform. Diode reverse recovery problems also seem unlikely as ringing on the current waveform suggests switching takes place before the current zero-crossing.

The voltage waveform looks strange though: Rounded leading edges and almost a 60% voltage overshoot! This may be exceeding the rating of your switches at the peaks of the supply voltage. That cosine shaped wiggle on top of the inverter voltage waveform (which should be flat) is usually indicative of excessive inductance in the DC bus wiring to the inverter. Try adding more capacitance across the DC bus right where the IGBT's are located.

Have you checked what your gate drive waveforms look like at the IGBTs during operation? It's also worth checking that your x10 (or x100) scope probes are correctly compensated before making these high-frequency measurements.
Tonskulus
Wed Jan 23 2008, 07:27PM
I just noticed that there is overshooting problem. Without load at all (inverter output open), there is still current going through igbts. 200mA or so. I did try adding 10µF capacitor to the DC supply rail and it helped smoothing invertrer voltage.:
http://www.elisanet.fi/tonskulus/ih/volts.jpg

GeordieBoy
Wed Jan 23 2008, 08:53PM
That output waveform looks a lot better now.

With no load on the output of a half-bridge (or full bridge) you always get some current drawn from the supply, particularly when running at high frequency and high voltage. This 200mA current does not necessarily indicate shoot-through due to conduction overlap in the IGBTs. It may just represent the power required to charge and discharge the output capacitances of your switching devices.

(The power dissipated to charge/discharge device capacitances alone can get high for large die devices at high frequencies and high supply voltages. Eliminating this loss is the main motivation behind ZVS schemes like Class E, etc in power electronics.)
Tonskulus
Wed Jan 23 2008, 09:58PM
Ok, i have been running this inverter today for a while with new igbts. Everything seems to be ok at 110Volts. I pushed this to the limits, 15Amps input current and no problems. But im sure it blows up if i switch to 220V. Thats what it always does. Yesterday I was running off 110Volts / 10Amps and decided to switch 220V. IGBT failure happened at only 4Amp supply current.
kim_ladha
Wed Jan 23 2008, 10:12PM
kim_ladha Registered Member #1217 Joined: Mon Jan 07 2008, 11:46AM
Hi Tonskulus, Well done. Looks ok. The waveforms are either shoot-through or too much inductance on the low side drain- otherwise it should be working by now. Scrap that 10u cap though- the waveforms are fine. Geordie Boy hasn't realised the reason for the dodgy looking waveform- its is tracking the mains voltage. ....UPDATE- Yes he did! He has added a thread just after I posted this....This keeps your power factor high. I get 0.99 PF which is as good as a comercial unit!

Shame about the IGBT failures though- just looked at your other waveforms. The 10u won't solve shoot through it will just damp the ringing frequency. You need a dead time- I use 500ns ant 120khz- its high but seems to work reliably. You have some high frequency ringing on the collectors that looks suspicious- look for stray inductance. Finally make sure your oscillator is far from the work coil and shielded and the current feedback to the oscillator is minimal- current transformer saturation led to early unexplained failures for me.

Hi Steve, Awsome idea about the little cap to drop the current- Better than my solution. As for ZCS, it only occurs at high currents with low work coil loading. The work coild current is supperimposed onto bridge output by the ratio on the coil inductance to the inductor. If i have a small inductor i can get good zcs but high device currents. If I have a large inductor my current is almost triangular all the time. My ratio is 10-20 to 1 deppending what power i want.

Geordie Boy, the 3 kW low load power goes like this... all approx- 70w into switches, 100w into inductor (resisitive), 135w into my caps and the rest into water heating through resistive work coil losses (no work piece)- water goes in at 15 degrees and comes out at 70!

Regards to all
Karim
GeordieBoy
Wed Jan 23 2008, 10:16PM
Tonskulus: For debugging unexplained failures it helps if you can run it from a regulated adjustable DC supply to remove the 100Hz envelope blurring. Wind the voltage up slowly towards 340VDC whilst watching all the waveforms on a scope. The clues are there!

At the risk of getting my backside kicked for turning this thread into a lesson on inverter testing I'll leave it there. smile

-Richie,
Tonskulus
Wed Jan 23 2008, 10:38PM
Without 10µF DC filtering cap there are huge amounts of ringing at inverter output! Anyway, im using 50Amp IGBT brick instead of HGTG30N60xx's. It drives ok at 100kHz. I have to get rid of some stray inductances and make a shield for oscillator/driverboard if it helps, just like Kim told me to do.
I'll keep working :)
Experimentonomen
Thu Jan 24 2008, 05:40PM
Experimentonomen Registered Member #941 Joined: Sun Aug 05 2007, 10:09AM
Hey kim! What is your comments on my board design ?
Link2
Tonskulus
Fri Jan 25 2008, 03:32PM
Finally Im able to melt some steel parts with this thing. Still 110Volt supply is used as it seems to work reliable now, I have no reason for higher input voltages to be used. Not for this one..maybe I can make another system for higher powerlevels later but its another story then. Ok, I made a short video about bolt being melted. Input voltage 110Volts and current 10..15Amps, 20A is maximum (limited by isolation trafo).

http://www.elisanet.fi/tonskulus/ih/ssih13.avi

My workcoil didnt suffer, it collapsed and destroyed (full of holes) because there is no water cooling:
http://www.elisanet.fi/tonskulus/ih/bustedcoil.jpg

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: