Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
a.gutzeit (63)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Wireless powering SSTC

first  2 3 4 5
Move Thread LAN_403
Marko
Sun Dec 09 2007, 06:22PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
First I'd try making the feedback transformer with larger amount of turns, maybe 50+50? It could be just that it isn't reaching the threshold voltage?

Actually I reduced the ratio by half by pulling the ground lead again through the core, and got somewhat better. If I get inot need to use such large amounts of turns I may probably just go for a cascaded CT - the base current is still pretty low and I don't think I need that.

Secondly, I recommend using a 555 to kick it to oscillation. I haven't had any trouble doing this and it seems reliable.

If I use oscillator start, the coil will turn on whenever the bridge gets powered and my remote is turned on. I was thinking how to eliminate that possibility and make the coil controllable only by remote.

It would actually work as is if I was running CW, but oscillation would stop if voltage gets too low, unless my feedback is very sensitive (which it apparently isn't).

This would also give free short circuit protection of the output.

I'm thinking if I could stuff in some kind of simple logic to preserve all these ideas.

Also, when you use an interrupter, the gate driver should send out a small pulse every time it's enabled at the beginning of each interrupter cycle, kicking it into oscillation. Atleast I think it does that.

When inverting and non-inverting UCC's are enabled the output of inverting one is driven permanently high, and if oscillation doesn't start and there is no DC blocking capacitor, mosfets die.

That is one of situations I wanted to avoid.

Just enabling the drivers in my scheme would do nothing because both inputs are held low by the CT. I start the circuit by putting a small pulse, only few microseconds long, into input of one UCC.

I think that is a much more proper way of startup, + I got rid of 5V logic and propagation delays.

Mates
Sat Feb 09 2008, 09:47PM
Mates Registered Member #1025 Joined: Sun Sept 23 2007, 07:53PM
It looks that the topic of this thread went little bit far away from the wireless powering and turned to designing problems of an, otherwise very interesting, full bridge SSTC. I think it's a pity because as I can see here Link2 Marko just have made a real progress in wireless energy transfer using his coil and I’m sure not only me would like to know more about it…

Marko please, would it be possible to refresh this thread or start a new one giving the explanation to your pictures in the “cool pics” thread?

Thanks Mates wink
Marko
Sat Feb 09 2008, 10:16PM
As this thread was primarily about the SSTC design, I think it would be good idea to start a new one... Anyone else of you guys interested?

I also have lots of questions myself (receiver impedance matching, toploads, Tesla's history..) so It's probably time to do something about it?
Coronafix
Sun Feb 10 2008, 02:48AM
Coronafix Registered Member #160 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 02:07AM
I think I can speak for nearly everyone and say
"Hell yes we're interested!!"
well I am any way. neutral
Marko
Mon Feb 11 2008, 02:04PM
for nearly everyone

Well.. ''where's everybody?'' -fermi

OK, I'll see what I can do, I'd like to cover everything which takes some time.

My professor over here is probably the most amazed - he wants me to patent my ''invention'' O_o
I really need to stay away from the press if I get onto this competition.

This particular SSTC is having some trouble I'd like to fix first, it's main inverter wasn't running in pics on chatting board but little one nearby.

I built some kind of stand for receiver resonator, still have to do capacitive ground points... that's going to be something simple, probably AL foil on PVC sheet, or something like that.

Marko
first  2 3 4 5

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: