Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Daniel Davis (53)

Next birthdays
05/27 Daniel Davis (53)
05/29 Zonalklism (33)
05/29 Dr Hankenstein (67)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

[moved] 24,000j Capacitor Bank (Now Complete)

Move Thread LAN_403
FastMHz
Wed Jan 09 2008, 06:47AM
FastMHz Registered Member #179 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:08AM
I used those diodes because those are what I had laying around...all I wanted to do was a quick voltage test....but I still would like to know why the string fried at 4500v when it should have taken that easily.
Wed Jan 09 2008, 07:29AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
was there any significant load on the mot when the diodes blew? Since you are only halfwave rectifying the output the cycle that is not being used will probably peak much higher than the voltage on the cap bank... Especially with a bank this large that could easliy pull enough current to drop the mots voltage considerably...
Jasonr
Wed Jan 09 2008, 03:14PM
Jasonr Registered Member #167 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 06:41PM
Did you have any kind of current limiting? Caps will act like a short when quick changes in voltage occur. A variac is a way to attempt to limit the current however dirty brushes or any spike at all on the input is exponential on the output.

You need either a current limit resistor, or a ballast of some kind.

another thing is powering up the MOT's with no load you could have overvolted the diodes very easily.
Jason
EN
Wed Jan 09 2008, 05:39PM
EN Registered Member #85 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 01:22PM
the failure is totally normal, similar things happened to me on a smaller scale.

when you charge caps with a halfwave rectifier, the unused halfwave adds to the voltage of the capacitor, and kills the diode, if it can not stand twice the voltage.
FastMHz
Wed Jan 09 2008, 07:10PM
Alright...so it seems to be a halfwave overvolt problem...I suppose my alternative is to make a bridge, or to make a string to handle much higher voltages, with a rather large safety margin.
FastMHz
Sun Jan 13 2008, 08:17PM
Great news - my charger appears to be working as needed. I bought some new 8kv diodes and made a bridge rectifier out of them...repeated the same test and charged a 1uf cap up to 5kv, which is a safety margin 500v more than I'll need since my 24kj bank is 4500v.

Next step is to build my remote controlled triggered spark gap. I plan to use a 10kv ignition transformer as the initiator.
Jasonr
Sun Jan 20 2008, 06:14AM
Jasonr Registered Member #167 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 06:41PM
I wonder if when you test it on your bank you don't over current you diodes. I think you had both over volt and over current happening.
Jason
FastMHz
Tue Jan 22 2008, 07:34AM
The capacitor bank has been completely bussed together for the first time!!! The system, including charger, went “live” the other day for the first time, charging to 1% of the total energy capacity. I will not charge higher until I complete the remote controlled discharge unit, as I have no other safe way to discharge the system. I am also using an IR thermometer to monitor the diode temps to ensure that I'm not drawing too much current and overheating them.
FastMHz
Wed Jan 30 2008, 08:13PM
I’ve built the charger into a self contained unit, with integrated cooling to keep everything operating at peak performance. With the charger now a self contained unit, I intend to charge the system from a safe distance, in addition to the previously planned remote discharging. Components fail…bad things can happen, and I don't ever want to be near the bank while it's charged…the charger:

Hvsupplynr6

Shaun
Wed Jan 30 2008, 09:30PM
Shaun Registered Member #690 Joined: Tue May 08 2007, 03:47AM
What do you use for current limiting on the charger? A big power resistor, or maybe a series capacitor on the AC side?

Without it theres a good chance of overcurrent on the diodes, or even the MOTs. If the diodes really do stand up to 40A, I think they'll survive. But you could blow a breaker; 2400W worth of MOTs will charge this bank in 10s running at maximum power. Thats 20A draw right there, assuming they don't go over...

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: