Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Frequency counting without a microcontroller

first  3 4 5 6 
Move Thread LAN_403
rupidust
Sat Sept 22 2007, 09:11PM
rupidust Banned
Registered Member #110 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 12:23AM
Perhaps you 6 or so people ought to run a search for PIC Wiki or AVR Wiki on google before the year is over.
No one was burn with the knowledge of diodes, resistors, capacitors, and ICs. If you choose to learn them, so to may you choose to know beyond them.
Reaching
Sat Sept 22 2007, 09:32PM
Reaching Registered Member #76 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 10:04AM
if theres no need for a microcontroller i wouldnt use one. i have logic ics on hand, and not a single microcontroller. i have no possibility to program one and i have no knowledge about the code in a µC etc. so why is it so difficult to understand that some people just dont want to get into µC´s or do not have the knowledge? i´ve build a frequency counter without a µC and it works fine for my needs, and its cheap. i dont want to mass product them so i think im fine..

Ken M.
Sun Sept 23 2007, 01:58AM
Ken M. Registered Member #618 Joined: Sat Mar 31 2007, 04:15AM
I look at it as, Do you wanna set up quiet a few parts, or use minimum parts, and learn something new?

Besides uC are very versitile.

But if you wanna use descrete logic over uC, go for it.
ragnar
Sun Sept 23 2007, 04:51AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
I didn't intend to open (or argue) the "But you could do this with a microcontroller" can of worms.

The circuit here is a straightforward frequency counter that "anyone" can build with COMMON discrete logic chips, NOT MANY of them, uses COMMON seven-segment displays, and the driver is of reasonable size in comparison to the display.

The simplicity and 'understandability' comes at the expense of some accuracy. **shrug**

Perhaps when I finalize the circuit design, I'll see some it replicated by a few people =)
Firnagzen
Sun Sept 23 2007, 07:12AM
Firnagzen Registered Member #567 Joined: Tue Mar 06 2007, 10:55AM
I had a rather peculiar thought when reading this topic-

Whitearc mentions having to reclibrate it everytime you use it. Why can't you use itself to measure the frequency of the relaxation oscillator? Or is that a silly idea.
ragnar
Sun Sept 23 2007, 07:29AM
I don't know why WhiteArc says you have to recalibrate it every time you use it -- I certainly didn't say that; and you certainly don't have to, thanks.

Yes, it can read its own reference frequency -- this is what I actually used as a test signal through development.

For your interest, though, you can't use the reference frequency to calibrate itself; if you lower the reference frequency, you lower the number of pulses per second that would hit the input. But because it counts pulses for a longer period (because you just lowered the refresh frequency), it will read the exact same figure. If you plug the reference frequency into the input, the display reads "002.4" no matter what the reference frequency is. =P
Steve Conner
Sun Sept 23 2007, 10:57AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
I agree that this topic should probably be renamed to "Doing things without a microcontroller that are really best done with a microcontroller". wink PICs count as "common logic chips" nowadays. And once you've learnt how to use them, they open a hell of a lot more options for you in your hobby projects.

That's beside the point though, if Matt wants to write about frequency counters made out of discrete logic, we're not going to stop him! It's all more quality content for 4hv, and the arguments over whether it should have been done with a uC are quality content too. And the blue displays are so sexy!

PS: About recalibration, there is no excuse for a frequency counter with anything other than quartz accuracy. If the accuracy budget depends on a relaxation oscillator in there somewhere, you need to go back to the drawing board! mistrust
ragnar
Mon Sept 24 2007, 02:42PM
After the logic rework (which Peter '...' spotted), the revised board layout is a little smaller and even neater. Even just optimizing this was great fun for me.

Here's how it's looking currently.

Who says I etch one to see if I got it right?

1190644978 63 FT24079 3freq2c6
ragnar
Wed Jun 18 2008, 05:27PM
I still haven't progressed to microcontrollers, but this one had been smirking at me from my junk pile for too long. I've finished this version to such a stage that it may now be comfortably ignored.

There are two PCBs, the display drivers / counters, and the circuit that buffers the input and generates the appropriate timings to reset / inhibit the counters. Both boards are single-sided, with a five-wire interface connecting them together [ground, inhibit (= dispenbl), clock, reset, vcc].

Both the driver chips and the displays are offensively overdriven and get too hot to touch after minutes of operation; I guess this is why god gave us resistor networks, which I am yet to discover.

Volts into the DC jack on one side, wiggles into the SMA jack on the other side, and the displays show pretty numbers. It drifts horribly with temperature, cost me more than my frequency-measuring multimeter, and consumed hours laying out the board. Case closed.

Back
Front
Side
Bluedisplays
uzzors2k
Wed Jun 18 2008, 05:35PM
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
Cool Matt, your stuff always looks so pro. Btw, where've you been the last two years? I've only seen you here intermittently with just a few new projects.
first  3 4 5 6 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: