Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

large coil gun

first  4 5 6 7 
Move Thread LAN_403
DerAlbi
Fri Feb 27 2015, 09:33PM
DerAlbi Registered Member #2906 Joined: Sun Jun 06 2010, 02:20AM
Say the first stage will convert 5% of the electrical energy into kinetic energy and say another 5% are lost due to ESR, eddies etc.
Wow, you imply 50% eff at the first tage. Same amount transfered as lost.... would be record allready! Redo your example and assume 5%.
Then think again about the amount of energy that you put in the first coil. There must allready be all the energy present for alle the later coils. so you actually push 100J into the coil instead of 10J. As a consequence you are DEEEEEEEP into saturation.. so lets correct your efficiency to 1%.
Now redo your calculation again. Well: You need to push even more energy! ..lets correct the efficiency figure to 0.5%... continue your loop...
Uspring
Sat Feb 28 2015, 10:28AM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
Wow, you imply 50% eff at the first tage. Same amount transfered as lost.... would be record allready! Redo your example and assume 5%.
No. Consider a single stage. A 100% electrical energy in. The projectile goes through. 90% electrical energy is left in the coil (5% resistive loss, 5% kinetic energy). The 90% are lost, since the projectile has gone through. Efficiency is 5%.

But I think, what you are getting at, is that not 90% of the electrical energy is left, right after the projectile has gone through, but much less due to coil resistance losses. A TL ccelerator would not make sense for a stage with e.g. Q<1. Is that the case?

DerAlbi
Sat Feb 28 2015, 10:42AM
Efficiency is "Kinetic / (Heat+Kinectic)". therefore you have 50%.
Your 5% is a conversion efficiency (=KinecticOut/MagneticEnergyIn). And 5% would be a pretty poor design. (assume 10-20%)

I dont kow what qualitiy factor implies.. i dont have a reference frequency.
Shrad
Sat Feb 28 2015, 12:15PM
Shrad Registered Member #3215 Joined: Sun Sept 19 2010, 08:42PM
DerAlbi wrote ...

Shrad:
the propagation delay is dictated by dielectric constant
Link2
How do you plan to slow down the pulse?
Getting down from 1/60 of the speed of light to even Mach 20 is a difference of 3 orders of magnitude.
you would maximize sqrt(L*C). The problem is, that C maximizes when L shrinks. (and vice versa) There is a practical limit to this. nothing you could influence or design with such freedom.

you could use L and C as a pulse forming network, or even with a secondary L and C at the junction of the primary L and C to lengthen the pulse so its duration is equivalent to the ideal projectile velocity, and pulse gets sharper as primary L gets smaller

If I was able to machine such a double spiral barrel I would really love to try this out, as I think a PFN with a pulse compression would be the most optimized design for a magnetically launched projectile

a bit like an electric trebuchet...
Uspring
Sat Feb 28 2015, 12:30PM
Efficiency is "Kinetic / (Heat+Kinectic)". therefore you have 50%.
Ideally you'd have a large B, when the projectile is at the point where dB/dx is largest and zero B, when the projectile is at the center of the coil. During this interval the energy stored by the magnetic field has to go somewhere. Is it dissipated in the coil resistance or does it return to the driving electronics? If the latter, is it recovered there or just burned up? If it is recovered you'd have 2 ways to define efficieny. Either kinetic energy/initial electric energy, or you could put the difference between before and after into the denominator.

Q is a measure of damping of a tank, i.e. describes the percentage of energy lost during a cycle. A higher Q implies less damping. If you, e.g. add a resistor R in series with the inductance of a tank, Q would be:

Q=2*pi*fres*L/R

hen918
Sat Feb 28 2015, 06:55PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
Uspring wrote ...

Q is a measure of damping of a tank, i.e. describes the percentage of energy lost during a cycle. A higher Q implies less damping. If you, e.g. add a resistor R in series with the inductance of a tank, Q would be:

Q=2*pi*fres*L/R

what's happened to the capacitive elements?
Uspring
Sat Feb 28 2015, 07:20PM
You could write Q also as:

Q=sqrt(L/C)/R

using fres = 1/(2*pi*sqrt(L*C))
Signification
Mon Mar 02 2015, 10:04PM
Signification Registered Member #54278 Joined: Sat Jan 17 2015, 04:42AM
Shrad, On the TEA laser you referenced (impressive construction BTW), will the laser work while the water is flowing? I was also wondering what the purpose is of the tube mounted on the back of the laser. ...looks like quite a divergent beam.
Shrad
Tue Mar 03 2015, 08:14AM
Shrad Registered Member #3215 Joined: Sun Sept 19 2010, 08:42PM
Signification wrote ...

Shrad, On the TEA laser you referenced (impressive construction BTW), will the laser work while the water is flowing? I was also wondering what the purpose is of the tube mounted on the back of the laser. ...looks like quite a divergent beam.

I think it would pose no problem but this is pulsed as energy is stored in the tubes and repetition rate is quite low so there would not be a need to flow the water

the genius part of that build is that the water is used as a self healing dielectric which acts as a spark gap... and all is coaxial which is the best thing in pulse power

what makes me think that the solution is to combine pulse power and simplicity is that such a TEA is actually one of the highest power to complexity ratio, is scalable, reliable and resilient which makes huge powers possible
DerAlbi
Tue Mar 03 2015, 08:49AM
And yet the only realistic thing about it is the talk. Boring. Specially when there are guys involved who stuggle to understand the basic optimization parameter/goal "efficiency"..

You guys suffer from denail. You are blended by your own confidence and ideas. Having allready figured out that the mechanics of the barrel is the biggest problem one seems to neglect everything else which is obvious if you just would touch the topics that dont fit into this positive thinking. thats not engineering thats... actually i have no word for this. Maybe a B and a S.

Just put forward at least something realistic. What about a simulation (LTSpice?) of your so called "transmission line" with real ESR in the coils (L/R = 1..3ms).
I know its worth avoiding reality.. having a dream is much easier than living in the real world.

If this "transmission line"-style thing works its for now not important what kind of capacitor or whatever you use. Its basic electronics still. So it can be simulated.
Sure you guys have allready the circuit and models in mind.. or what is your confidence based on? So upload it!
first  4 5 6 7 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: