Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Small QCW

Move Thread LAN_403
loneoceans
Sat Oct 11 2014, 04:13PM
loneoceans Registered Member #4098 Joined: Fri Sept 16 2011, 09:26PM
zzz_julian_zzz wrote ...

I am so wondering HOW you guys manage to get a low peak current on the primary given on that output length of about 6 ft?
my coil shoots a meter but having a 120+ Amps on the primary, i doubt that even when my Ipk reach 160 it will produce the same result as yours.
I've researched some russian QCW coils, and as expected, they need about 250-300 Amps to reach 6" sparks.
So what's your Magic steve? :)

May we know that coil's coupling?
Is it phase shifted shared bridge or DC modulated supply?
what's your Bridge's Voltage in?

I think the kind of tuning helps a lot here, i.e. the one Steve conner proposed to tune the primary lower and run at the upper pole frequency. As the spark drops the secondary resonant frequency, the coil becomes more and more in tune allowing the inverter to pump more power into the spark. This requires a different drive design though. The tesla gun uses the phase shifted method. It seems that BSVi's phase shifted coil does the same kind of tuning and has also achieved really long sparks (2m!) with not so much current.
zzz_julian_zzz
Sun Oct 12 2014, 02:21PM
zzz_julian_zzz Registered Member #3964 Joined: Thu Jun 23 2011, 03:23AM
loneoceans wrote ...

I think the kind of tuning helps a lot here, i.e. the one Steve conner proposed to tune the primary lower and run at the upper pole frequency. As the spark drops the secondary resonant frequency, the coil becomes more and more in tune allowing the inverter to pump more power into the spark. This requires a different drive design though. The tesla gun uses the phase shifted method. It seems that BSVi's phase shifted coil does the same kind of tuning and has also achieved really long sparks (2m!) with not so much current.

thanks loneoceans, hmmm.. these QCWs are getting more interesting than before, now that "finally" someone spoke up really helpful :)

so are you saying that in steve's video he uses Phase shifted topology and not the converter approach to get his primary current down? also, have you seen this vid?
Link2

this is a work of Barmaley (maybe he's a russian too) - i found that he's using a buck converter supply (sync buck) but he's just using a iron core for the Inductor Output of the Buck (Strange!) -this is a huge size iron cored inductor :) but as you can see, his works can be compared to other top QCW record holders :) this too works with smaller currents too..

Php
teravolt
Sun Oct 12 2014, 07:35PM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
Julian I would think that iron would be a logical choice since the smps ramp is in the 20 ms range since iron has a response up to 400 hz. I have read in places like

Link2

and hear

Link2

that the L and C filter works by storing energy. I see that it pausible that the tesla converts this stored energy as it ramping up. A good choice would be to make your inductor with metglass because it has the highest permeability with a frequency response of 100kHz.

Link2

zzz_julian_zzz
Mon Oct 13 2014, 10:59AM
teravolt wrote ...

Julian I would think that iron would be a logical choice since the smps ramp is in the 20 ms range since iron has a response up to 400 hz. I have read in places like

Link2

and hear

Link2

that the L and C filter works by storing energy. I see that it pausible that the tesla converts this stored energy as it ramping up. A good choice would be to make your inductor with metglass because it has the highest permeability with a frequency response of 100kHz.

Link2

Thanks for these information. Maybe we were just relying too much on the early/pioneer researchers, that only Ferrite Core would be the best and that suits for buck converters. Actually, I don't have that experience with regards to these core materials in SMPS topologies.
Steve Conner
Mon Oct 13 2014, 12:51PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
For the buck converter you need a powdered iron core, or MPP (Moly-Permalloy Powder, like deluxe powdered iron) or a ferrite core with an air gap. Ungapped ferrite is no good, and I doubt Metglass would be any good either. These are high permeability materials for transformers, they saturate too easily for an inductor that needs to store energy.

A laminated iron core with an air gap might well work, at least in Soviet Russia. smile
Uspring
Mon Oct 13 2014, 04:08PM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
I am so wondering HOW you guys manage to get a low peak current on the primary given on that output length of about 6 ft?
There are a number of factors which influence primary current:
a) Primary impedance. A larger impedance decreases primary I. You seem to have a large primary Z, so I don't think that's your particular problem.
b) Coupling, a higher coupling will also decrease current. Your coupling is also large (0.4?), so that's also not an issue.
c) Tuning, don't know waht your primary and secondary fres are, so it's hard to tell. But I guess you have played around with that.
d) Secondary Z. There is a sweet spot for secondary inductance. Both too low or too high will lead to a large primary I.
Check for secondary inductances of other successful builds.

Wrt to arc length:
a) Power, loneoceans coil currently has 150V and 120A (full bridge) input. Peak power is then 150*120*2*2/pi = 23kW. That's pretty much needed for 1m arcs.
b) Straight arcs, made with the right rampup are longer than short burst arcs. So the right current envelope will also increase length.

To diagnose the problem it would help to know primary and secondary tank parameters and a scope shot of primary current and secondary voltage (picked up with an antenna).
zzz_julian_zzz
Tue Oct 14 2014, 05:06AM
Uspring wrote ...

There are a number of factors which influence primary current:
a) Primary impedance. A larger impedance decreases primary I. You seem to have a large primary Z, so I don't think that's your particular problem.
b) Coupling, a higher coupling will also decrease current. Your coupling is also large (0.4?), so that's also not an issue.
c) Tuning, don't know waht your primary and secondary fres are, so it's hard to tell. But I guess you have played around with that.
d) Secondary Z. There is a sweet spot for secondary inductance. Both too low or too high will lead to a large primary I.
Check for secondary inductances of other successful builds.

Wrt to arc length:
a) Power, loneoceans coil currently has 150V and 120A (full bridge) input. Peak power is then 150*120*2*2/pi = 23kW. That's pretty much needed for 1m arcs.
b) Straight arcs, made with the right rampup are longer than short burst arcs. So the right current envelope will also increase length.

To diagnose the problem it would help to know primary and secondary tank parameters and a scope shot of primary current and secondary voltage (picked up with an antenna).

Hi upspring,
thank you very much for your comments, by the way, here are my coil's specifications and output from JAVATC.
I don't know too if the Impedance/Inductance of my Secondary is not in "good shape" to get swordish sparks.

Sec Output

Sec Specs
Dr. Dark Current
Tue Oct 14 2014, 07:22AM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
Uspring wrote ...

Wrt to arc length:

I think its just Vout*Ipk*2/pi, so 11.5 kW in this case.
Uspring
Tue Oct 14 2014, 10:30AM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
zzz_julian_zzz:
Your secondary specs look reasonable. It'd be nice to compare them to loneoceans, but I couldn't find them in his writeup. What does your primary current rampup look like?

Dr. Dark Current:
I think its just Vout*Ipk*2/pi, so 11.5 kW in this case.
I was under the impression, that he switches between +150 and -150V with a full bridge, i.e. an effective input voltage of 300V. (?)
zzz_julian_zzz
Tue Oct 14 2014, 11:12AM
hi Upspring this is what it looks like when i try to scope my Pri I. Thank you.
1413285122 3964 FT166191 Priwave

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: