Alfons (36)
Coronafix (51)
AmonRa (44)

Next birthdays
05/11 ramses (16)
05/11 Arcstarter (31)
05/11 Zak (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Novel flying machines

Move Thread LAN_403
Dr. Slack
Sat May 10 2014, 03:58PM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
Patrick wrote ...

Link2

look here... tri-copter with wings.

pic
1399737802 72 FT1630 Tri With Wings

That looks really cool, but at what cost?

Rotating the forward motors costs a control channel, the servo and rotator weight, and the fact that the prop pitch, size and power is a compromise between low pitch high power for hover and high pitch low power for forward flight.

What if he used two big low pitch fixed counter rotating lift props ahead of the wings, with the ESC programmed to stop them in the low drag fore-aft position, and a single fixed high pitch prop in the nose for forward flight? The servo channel becomes the forward channel, the weight of the rotator becomes the weight of the forward prop, so no significant change in weight or control channels. However, each prop is now more efficient as better matched to its job, and the mechanics are simpler with no rotator.

Now, additionally, what if control were completely split with forward flight motor and control surfaces on one radio, and vertical services on the other radio? Result total parallel get you home survivability so can land vertically, or like a plane, or glide in on receiver batteries only, if there's a malfunction with one set of controls. The cost at the vehicle being the weight of a second receiver and control battery. Is it worth the weight for a much more survivable plane?
Patrick
Sat May 10 2014, 04:47PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
you make compelling points Dr. Slack. based on good engineering philosophy, rarely taught in college couses.

and ash small, id rather not have the swash plate at all, might as well go to a full heli then.
i want collective equivlent only, cyclic is uselessly complicated. (unless this tail rotor is what you menat) ->
Link2

ok then let me do some more thinking, and ty to get the machine flying today.
Ash Small
Sun May 11 2014, 04:57PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Patrick wrote ...

cyclic is uselessly complicated.

I don't agree. It can be accomplished easily with four servo's. The only other thing required over 'normal' variable pitch is a spherical bearing, which isn't subjected to rotational motion (EDIT: there is an element of rotational motion, depending on 'cyclical' stuff, but I'm sure this can be dealt with) and so can therefore be quite simple. You could either adapt something like a self-aligning bearing or get something machined out of nylon 66, or similar. I'd get this machined with some form of spline on the inside so it will slide on the prop shaft thus serving the variable pitch function at the same time. The only difference between the two systems is one extra spherical bearing and three servos, but they can each be much smaller than the single one required for VPP as they share the load.

EDIT: You still need a couple of taper-roller bearings, or something similar, (along with the blade carriers and pushrods) but you need all this for VPP anyway, unless I'm missing something.

EDIT: You need a bit of extra software too, but software doesn't weigh much wink
Chip Fixes
Mon May 12 2014, 05:38AM
Chip Fixes Registered Member #3781 Joined: Sat Mar 26 2011, 02:25AM
Just saw this on Hack A Day today: Link2
Although, besides being able to hover for 19 hours, it really doesn't seem that novel.
BigBad
Tue May 13 2014, 06:55PM
BigBad Registered Member #2529 Joined: Thu Dec 10 2009, 02:43AM
I think maybe VPPs are particularly good for variable mass vehicles.

For battery powered vehicles, you just optimise the prop for one speed (the one needed to hover), and you can deal with the differences in thrust by varying the speed somewhat, hopefully not running it too much off the optimum speed.
Ash Small
Tue May 13 2014, 07:08PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
BigBad wrote ...

I think maybe VPPs are particularly good for variable mass vehicles.

For battery powered vehicles, you just optimise the prop for one speed (the one needed to hover), and you can deal with the differences in thrust by varying the speed somewhat, hopefully not running it too much off the optimum speed.

i agree, but once you start considering IC engines I think you have to consider VPP and swashplate, as swashplate doesn't contribute much mass compared to VPP (and is hardly any more complicated to implement). I'm assuming that a large percentage of 'take off' weight will be fuel, and most of the fuel will be consumed during flight, I think this is where the advantages of VPP really lie. Also, I think the torque characteristics of IC compared to electric would also favour this approach. I can't really see much advantage of using VPP with electric motors if the payload is reasonably constant.

EDIT: Although I can see advantages of using swashplate with electric, as it means you only need one motor, assuming the tail rotor is driven by gears, and one large prop is more efficient than several smaller ones.

EDIT: I think you'd only need VPP for the tail rotor. I can't see any advantage of using a swashplate there.
Patrick
Wed May 14 2014, 12:47AM
i shoud have said this sooner, but the real problem with a traditional heli swashplate is that when you have a prop strike, youll bend all theose precision pieces. And if i want a commercial product to eventually come of this, ill need reliability and repairabilty.
Steve Conner
Wed May 14 2014, 09:30AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Hence see Dr. Slack's earlier comments about complexity. tongue

My favourite design right now is the RCExplorer tricopter. The frame is a couple of softwood battens from the hardware store, and the motors are held on with cable ties so they will come loose in a crash before the shaft bends. I expect the average crash would cost about $7 and take 15 minutes to fix.
BigBad
Wed May 14 2014, 02:19PM
BigBad Registered Member #2529 Joined: Thu Dec 10 2009, 02:43AM
If we're talking mechanical simplicity I quite like the sycamore seed type design where you spin the whole vehicle as a wing and then control it exclusively on cyclic and thrust. Maybe use an airjet at the tip and a compressor in the central hub. You could probably synchronise the rotation with a magnetic compass.

If you put a camera on it, you get 360 degree vision for free.
Patrick
Wed May 14 2014, 03:19PM
BigBad wrote ...

If we're talking mechanical simplicity I quite like the sycamore seed type design where you spin the whole vehicle as a wing and then control it exclusively on cyclic and thrust. Maybe use an airjet at the tip and a compressor in the central hub. You could probably synchronise the rotation with a magnetic compass.

If you put a camera on it, you get 360 degree vision for free.
i saw the embry riddel team demonstrate this at our academic competition in north dakota, it was really cool.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: