Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
AlexRU73 (39)

Next birthdays
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
05/20 Vaxian (17)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Global Radiation monitoring system

Move Thread LAN_403
Pinkamena
Thu Oct 10 2013, 08:35PM
Pinkamena Registered Member #4237 Joined: Tue Nov 29 2011, 02:49PM
Interesting idea! If the price got low enough, I might buy a few and position them around my city.

I don't know if you're planning on making a model with only the bare necessities, skipping the little screen you got going there. It could upload all its data to a website, where I would have a user and could check on my own devices, as well as those from around the world. If you got some proper infrastructure up and running first in the form of support and a website for statistics, this might be a hit among certain groups. I imagine having a worldwide radiation detector grid could be beneficial for researchers.
radhoo
Thu Oct 10 2013, 09:26PM
radhoo Registered Member #1938 Joined: Sun Jan 25 2009, 12:44PM
yes, that's the plan. The data will be centralized on Link2 automatically. I designed this to be as close to plug and play as possible. For instance , the two devices on my desk started uploading data as soon as I put the DC connector in and the Ethernet cable. No configuration (IP given via DHCP) needed, the data starts flowing, and can be seen online. For now at Link2 but soon a fancy dedicated web service will be in place.

not only collecting data but allowing users to set alarms for given radiation level thresholds.

later an android/ios app for easier access to data.
Shrad
Fri Oct 11 2013, 09:41AM
Shrad Registered Member #3215 Joined: Sun Sept 19 2010, 08:42PM
I live in a region with vast quarries and continuous exploitation of stone and concrete plants

I know there are some underground cavities all around due to quarstic events almost everywhere in the region, and radon could be released continuously from these cavities to the surface through vents

Most houses have caves which are a few ten centimeters on top of the bedrock, and quarry explosions make fails on the walls of many houses

I can suspect these fails run from the bedrock to the caves and the walls, and as the region is covered by alluvial mud and clay, the flow could be quite as high as in a mountain region as those caves would be the only exit point besides quarries themselves

I'd be happy to monitor data around here with a few monitors too if they come at a decent price, or if you provide the ability and permission to built them ourselves :)
Steve Conner
Fri Oct 11 2013, 09:53AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Hey Radu! Project looks good. What software do you use on the server for drawing the graphs? :)
radhoo
Fri Oct 11 2013, 05:31PM
@Shrad, I'll do my best to keep the prices low. At first the project will not be open source. That's because with my limited resources, protecting the idea is difficult at this stage. But once it gets known I'd be happy to change it's status and offer the full details.

@Steve thank you. I'm using phpMyGraph5.0.
radhoo
Sun Oct 13 2013, 10:10AM
Another update.
Looking over the numbers recorded so far, I quickly observed that while there is a negligible difference in CPM levels (probably due to small differences between the two SBM-20 tubes used), both radiation graphs for #2 and #3 follow the same trends. So I created a new type of charts, showing both the #2 (in red) and #3 (in cyan) data:
Php
It seems that even small changes in the radiation field at my location are being picked up in the same way by the two detectors, which is great news given the small values involved (only the background levels).
300x130

Also see: Link2
Proud Mary
Sun Oct 13 2013, 11:35AM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Oh that's very good! I do like that!
Proud Mary
Fri Oct 18 2013, 01:49PM
Medicina (Kaunas). 2007;43(10):824-31.

Clinical cosmobiology: distribution of deaths during 180 months and cosmophysical activity. The Lithuanian study, 1990-2004. The role of cosmic rays.

Stoupel E, Kalediene R, Petrauskiene J, Starkuviene S, Abramson E, Israelevich P, Sulkes J.
Division of Cardiology, Rabin Medical Center, Tel Aviv University, Israel. **link**

Abstract

The aim of this study is a next step of our previous, initial, publications--to explore the links between monthly death number (total, and for the major death causes and each gender) with levels of monthly cosmophysical activity in a long-term, big cohort observation.

METHODS:
Death number during 180 consecutive months from the National Registry of Lithuania for years 1990-2004 were studied. A total of 630,205 deaths were analyzed (333,035 males). For comparison, monthly indices of solar activity, geomagnetic activity, and cosmic ray activity and year and month (1-12) of the study were used. The cosmophysical data were obtained from space research centers in the USA, Russia, and Finland. Statistics. Pearson correlation coefficients (r) and their probabilities (P) between compared parameters were calculated. A multivariate model of prediction was designed.

RESULTS:
It was a significant correlation between total monthly death number and indices of cosmic ray activity and, inverse, of solar activity; in men stronger than in women. Monthly geomagnetic activity was significantly correlated with traffic accidents, ischemic heart disease/stroke ratio, suicide victim number. Deaths from stroke, noncardiovascular causes, suicide, traffic accidents were related with cosmic ray activity and, inverse, with solar activity. Relationship of ischemic heart disease/stroke ratio to year of observation showed additional evidence for the growing role of stroke in cardiovascular mortality.

CONCLUSIONS:
Monthly death number is linked to cosmic ray activity, and inverse, to solar activity. Central place of stroke-related deaths in cardiovascular mortality is emerging. Geomagnetic activity, in monthly account, plays a relatively minor role. We presume that forces antagonistic to cosmic ray activity, like solar activity and geomagnetic activity, can prevent some negative biologic effects of cosmic ray.

PMID: 17998801
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Free full text
radhoo
Fri Nov 22 2013, 11:24AM
I've received a new batch of Geiger tubes, this time I opted for the SI-29BG, surprisingly smaller than the SBM-20U, but providing better sensitivity.
300x199
More at: Link2
Proud Mary
Fri Nov 22 2013, 02:08PM
It's good being able to connect an external tube, and interesting to see SI-29BG, a GM tube which I haven't seen before. Thanks for showing us.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: