Zajcek (37)
ElectroDog (33)
sportcoupe (56)

Next birthdays
04/30 BlakFyre (36)
04/30 SENTRY (31)
05/01 Shaun (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

TDU Microwave/Telsa prize

first  2 3 4 5
Move Thread LAN_403
Part Scavenger
Mon Sept 04 2006, 03:11AM
Part Scavenger Registered Member #79 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:35AM
Geez Mike, that thing looks like a pipe bomb.
Tesladownunder
Wed Oct 25 2006, 08:57AM
Tesladownunder Registered Member #10 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 09:45AM
I wound a primary and made a secondary from fan wire then tested them on a small NST.

Photo 1 shows the filament winding from the MOT.
Photo 2 shows the stripped winding wound on to the 3 pronged base support for the glass cooking plate in the MO.
Photo 3 shows sparks of up to 1 inch from it from a 4kV NST and a 2 gap static gap.
Photo 4 shows a racing spark and an interturn short suprised

The windings moved and there was overlap causing the short.

Edit: I have now got sparks using a capacitor from the microwave oven. Those are the hard parts, now to arrange current limiting for the MOT somehow. Perhaps add a microwave "ping" and I have my (initial) entry.

1161766648 10 FT15477 Moteslaprizefilamentcoil

1161766648 10 FT15477 Moteslaprizeprimaryconstruction

1161766648 10 FT15477 Moteslaprizeprisectest

1161766648 10 FT15477 Moteslaprizesecracingspark
Tesladownunder
Sat Dec 09 2006, 03:38AM
Well no one won it. I didn't get the time before Dec 1. However I have done it - just 9 days late. Shown here with 1/2 inch sparks only but best in development has been 1 inch and plenty of scope for improvement with better design.
Here's how:
Power supply is the MOT. This needs current limiting and this is achieved with a 150nF capacitor and the voltage is boosted by a one stage multiplier using the MOT diode to give 6kV peak. Note that power is taken off across the diode not across the cap to get the voltage multiplier effect. Hey what's this about a 150nF cap? Where is that in a microwave oven? Well that is the key to this project. The 1uF 10kV DC mylar and oil cap (that is in all non-inverter MO's) needs to be taken apart and unwound. Lengths of the multilayered dielectric and foil are taken out and cut to length. It took about 10 feet of the windings to make 150nF. This is perhaps only 30% of the total. New electrodes were added.
Tank cap. This is a 1nF cap. The technique is similar but I retained the original electrodes from the cap to use in this section as they were better suited to a high current. Construction of this cap was different in view of the much higher voltage/current and frequency stresses. It used about 30% of the length of the cap windings. The plates were only about 1 foot long by 2 inches, however I used two sections of foil/dielectric between them. The foil was not connected and was kept to equalise voltage stresses. All in all something like 12 layers of mylar and 2 foil layers separate the main electrodes.
Being mylar they do warm up a bit.
Spark gap This is two aluminium electrodes (from the frame of the MO fan) bolted to part of the MO timer circuit board with all the components and printed circuit ground off. It really needs another section to give better quenching.
Primary is the MO transformer 6V winding which is heavy copper. This is stuck on to the 3 legged wheeled frame that the glass food tray sits on and rotates.
Secondary former is the cardboard internal cardboard insulation from the HV cap. It was washed but became a bit soft but still usable.
Secondary windings use wire from the fan motor and less than half was used. The hot glue didn't stick the cardboard former together properly and the windings slipped and overlapped. I have had some interturn shorting (and may still have) so I can't really push the power much without a rewind. No idea how many turns.
Toroid I did try winding lots of turns of wire on the fan blades but it didn't improve the performance. so I just left the metal mesh spacer that sits on the output of the magnetron for a nice colour.

Pics show the plan and sparks close up. Not fabulous performance but the proof of principle is there are plenty of opportunities to do better.

Peter

1165635481 10 FT15477 Moteslaprizecapflat

1165635481 10 FT15477 Moteslaprizecompleteopensetup

1165635481 10 FT15477 Moteslaprizesparksclose
Tesladownunder
Sun Dec 24 2006, 03:43AM
.. and finally mounted in a microwave oven. Push START to run and STOP to stop or "cook" for as long as you like. (the electronics still work in the MO)

The final result is not that great really as I have blown the 150nF cap twice now and have to unwind it and chop a piece out. The caps certainly get warm. The spark is less than expected for the power increase and I think I have a shorted turn. It should be capable of perhaps 2 inches but a rewind would be a tedious affair - unless someone wants to put up more prize money smile

It looks odd having the diode across the spark gap but thats how you get the voltage multiplier to get 6kV peak (2kV RMS, 3kV peak and doubled to 6kV).

Peter

1166931837 10 FT15477 Moteslaprizemodoor

1166931837 10 FT15477 Moteslaprizemointerior
first  2 3 4 5

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: