Finn Hammer (72)
Blue Adept (43)
Nickel (68)

Next birthdays
05/18 AlexRU73 (39)
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Universal DRSSTC Driver V2.5 (Sold Out)

Move Thread LAN_403
Goodchild
Fri Apr 26 2013, 04:44PM
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM
Finn Hammer wrote ...

Goodchild wrote ...

In simulation it looks to me like the voltage out of the phase lead network has significantly less phase lead than then when it's at a higher input current. Consequently it doesn't even look like you get any lead until the second half cycle. After the first half cycle the amount of lead doesn't seem to change much with input current, it stays rather constant.

I'm not supper worried about the first cycle ringing, I have lived with it sense I started using phase lead. I'm just a little OCD about electronics, and if I can make it perfect I must try!

Eric,

That simulation is consistent with what I saw when I initially pioneered the phase lead circuit, and it does indeed seem as if the current monitor doesn´t produce any lead before the first reversal.
All my Predictors did this.

I think a possible solution would be to Dump the charge on a capacitor, to shoot a short biasing pulse, of reverse polarity compared to the first cycle of the ringing, through the monitor. Just time the start of this pulse so that it transits and drowns nicely into the first ringing. This would be a nice feature for the OCDés, since looking at clean waveshapes is so addictive.
But no doubt an unnecessary complication of a nice clean design.

Cheers, Finn Hammer

Great idea, I was thinking of something along those lines. My initial thought was to have a flip flop momentarily change the comparator reference voltage on the first cycle and then return back to normal after the first half cycle.
Finn Hammer
Fri Apr 26 2013, 09:21PM
Finn Hammer Registered Member #205 Joined: Sat Feb 18 2006, 11:59AM
Goodchild wrote ...

Great idea, I was thinking of something along those lines. My initial though was to have a flip flop momentarily change the comparator reference voltage on the first cycle and then return back to normal after the first half cycle.

An even better idea, since it is simpler, and simplicity rules!

Cheers, Finn Hammer
Firebug24k
Sat Apr 27 2013, 04:16AM
Firebug24k Registered Member #8435 Joined: Sun Dec 02 2012, 04:29AM
If Eric doesn't mind, I'll print up a bunch of these boards and get sell them off here - it's cheap to get a bunch made but kind of expensive for just a couple. I build flight control boards for quadcopters right now and have a pretty good deal with a fab that I can stick a few extra boards in for the next run.

Edit: Hmmm, I have only one post now, haha. I think my account got deleted after being inactive for a few years (I'm sure some of my old posts still exist back on the old server somewhere)...
Physics Junkie
Sat Apr 27 2013, 04:36AM
Physics Junkie Registered Member #7267 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2012, 12:16AM
Hi Eric. Just curious, do you use gate resistors anymore with these UD drivers? I just did some preliminary testing with Link2 using 5.1ohm gate resistor (typical I've used in the past) and the gate waveform was way overdamped so now I'm going to try without gate resistor.

EDIT: Seems I fixed my own problem with 1.1ohm gate resistor

1367077123 7267 FT1630 Img 20130427 112528 503

rise/fall times arnt too bad (I think) at <500ns
Physics Junkie
Mon Apr 29 2013, 12:19AM
Question about the phase lead: say I calibrate my PL at around 300-350V (my oscilloscope is catII 400V max, dont wanna damage it), will it change at all or make any significant difference when I operate the coil at full voltage around 650-750V? I read something on TCML that said as voltage increases, the ringing will tend to be less and less, but somehow this just doesnt make sense to me.. I'd figure that the ringing would increase or stay constant with the voltage.

EDIT: Also when I was messing around with the phase lead and looking at the waveforms, I could not diminish the ringing on the second and third transitions no matter what inductor I used and how I adjusted them. but all other transitions always had no ringing and the transitions occurred exactly 1uS after zero crossing and no amount of adjusting several inductors could change that. Does that sound right to those more experienced with phase lead?
Goodchild
Mon Apr 29 2013, 07:50AM
Firebug24k I was planning on doing a bulk buy on the boards some time in the near future, but if you want to do the same it's fine with me.

Lets start with the gate resistors, yes they are still needed for a couple reasons; one they help prevent overlap in the transition of low and high side switches so you don't get shoot-through currents. Also they helps drown out ringing on the gates due to parasitics in the GDT secondaries from leakage inductance.

Generally what you want to do is adjust the phase lead so you only have the spike on the first or second cycle and non of the others. This will gets smaller with higher currents. The reason is that during the first cycle the voltage is not high enough to trip the comparator early, as a result it switches late. However as current in the primary increases so does the feedback voltage and at a point it will start leading the correct amount.

This is a controller quark and not one of the H-bridge or power electronics. As we talked about on the other page this first cycle ringing is not much of an issue due to the current on the first cycle being very low (this means low losses). One way to help this issue is to use schottky diodes in place of the 1N4148 in the feedback chopper network. Due to their lower voltage drop they start to conduct sooner at the lower feedback voltages and helps increase the lead on the first cycle. (same diodes as used in the OCD rectifier work fine)

I was thinking of fixing this issue with a Flip-Flop, that changed the reference on the comparator for the first cycle. However I'm not sure the added complexity is worth the bonus you get when it's really not that big of a deal to begin with. Maybe in the future I will add this feature for the supper "OCD" coilers (such as myself) that need to have their waveforms perfect. wink
Physics Junkie
Mon Apr 29 2013, 03:32PM
Nice idea for a future UD 3!

So after reading what you said I went back and fiddled with the phase lead some more. Just like you said, the ringing on the first and second cycles noticeably decreased when I exceeded 350V on the bridge and about 650A in the primary, whereas I originally did tests at around 250V. Thanks for clearing that up! I'm surprised still! Would have thought the spikes would increase... Below is the best I could get it.

1367249254 7267 FT152849 Phase Lead Adjust 2

Does that look good, fine, bad, acceptable?
I'm hoping It's not too much lead. Compared to other waveforms I've seen around the web, I think this is OK
Goodchild
Mon Apr 29 2013, 04:41PM
Those look good to me. That's about the best you are going to get with phase lead.
Firebug24k
Fri May 17 2013, 12:46AM
Firebug24k Registered Member #8435 Joined: Sun Dec 02 2012, 04:29AM
Goodchild wrote ...

Firebug24k I was planning on doing a bulk buy on the boards some time in the near future, but if you want to do the same it's fine with me.

Update - boards came in! They look great. Twelve bucks each, including shipping anywhere in the US. Shoot me a PM if you want one, or you want me to figure shipping elsewhere outside the USA. I built them exactly from the schematics Eric put out, no changes.

Anyone got a nice SOT-227 half-bridge/full-bridge layout PCB made up? I'll trade you one of these for a copy of those files, my layout skills are pretty poor :)

Hi res scans:

1368751589 8435 FT152849 Ud25b

1368751589 8435 FT152849 Ud25
Kizmo
Fri May 17 2013, 03:40AM
Kizmo Registered Member #599 Joined: Thu Mar 22 2007, 07:40PM
Red is sexier ;)

Also made some simple pcb holder-vreg heatsink thingies. Makes life easier.. :)

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: