Finn Hammer (72)
Blue Adept (43)
Nickel (68)

Next birthdays
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
05/17 Blue Adept (43)
05/17 Nickel (68)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

ArcAttack! Tesla Gun

first  3 4 5 6 
Move Thread LAN_403
Intra
Thu Jun 28 2012, 11:04PM
Intra Registered Member #2694 Joined: Mon Feb 22 2010, 11:52PM
I mean, some guys like me, perhaps need more structural guide, like that, for example Link2
Guide of that kind is real helpful, because in front of you in one place, the main points, oscilloscope screenshots and etc.

When I start building my first drsstc, I know nothing about all it and this material Link2 was a very helpful for me and for many other people, I think. Why not be able to make same guide for phase-shifted QCW? It's a needful thing now.
Uspring
Tue Jul 10 2012, 05:11PM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
Wolfram wrote:

I know this, I was asking if the lower secondary impedance means that the primary MMC sees less reactive power for a given sparklength.
Yes, under some conditions which I believe hold true for Steve's design. The derivation is a bit involved so I don't think it is appropriate to this particular forum.

Goodchild
Fri Jul 13 2012, 10:13PM
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM
Great Project indeed!

I've also been fiddling with the phase shifted bridge idea for a while now. Steve you mention you hard switched at turn off on one side of the bridge. What I have been doing to avoid this is to ZVS on turn off by using the devices self capacitance and also a small amount of external capacitance to commutate the tank current while the switch turns off (typically < 100nF). A small amount of delay also has to be added before the other switch is allowed to turn on. This yields near perfect ZVS at turn on an off. Another nice perk of this type of drive is the ability to control the rise and fall time out to 100nS or 200ns making the whole inverter much less noisy.

My method doesn't use a CPLD of MCU of any kind just basic logic and RC delays for the ZVS timing, also use an Opamp and comparator to generate the phase delay based on a mod voltage. But I like the idea of using a PWM ramp seems easier.

Also love the idea of using the transformers to both match and current share very sneaky!

All the best,
Eric

EDIT:

After reading more of this thread it seems you already do exactly this! I find that it's easy to make even the slower IGBT turn off with ZVS if the correct sized cap is placed in parallel with with device. So that the commutation is extended out as long as desired.

I guess what through me at first is that you said "hard Switching" even though your kinda not hard switching :P hehe
Steve Ward
Sun Jul 15 2012, 04:01AM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Yes, thats right Eric. I experimented with adding snubber capacitors to the IGBTs to extend ZVS at turn off, but i got the cleanest results without any capacitance added there. The devices i used have very low switch off loss (really fast), so i decided to just leave it "hard switched". And as you say, the capacitors limit the maximum phase shift since you want the load current to charge them, and not the IGBTs.
Goodchild
Sun Jul 15 2012, 07:27AM
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM
Steve Ward wrote ...

Yes, thats right Eric. I experimented with adding snubber capacitors to the IGBTs to extend ZVS at turn off, but i got the cleanest results without any capacitance added there. The devices i used have very low switch off loss (really fast), so i decided to just leave it "hard switched". And as you say, the capacitors limit the maximum phase shift since you want the load current to charge them, and not the IGBTs.

Yeah that's kinda a down side to the phase shift as your limited to under full voltage out, but I guess at full 180 phase this shouldn't be a problem anyway because at that point it should be ZCS anyway. Although there would still be a small window in which turn off losses would be rather high.

So you say that because your switches have good turn off characteristics you just let them hard switch all the time at turn off with no ZVS? I'm curious to the problems you encountered with the capacitor snubbers in place? Did losses get higher? Or did distortion just increase?

Eric
PhilGood
Sun Jul 29 2012, 06:52PM
PhilGood Registered Member #3806 Joined: Sat Apr 02 2011, 09:20PM
Really interesting Project and amazing results so far, congrats Steve !

I really like the idea of adding secondary capacitors ! What kind of capacitors did you use and how did you mount them to prevent arcing inside secondary ? Why so many high value caps instead of a few HV ones ? Any close pic of the capacitors assembly inside the secondary ?

I would like to apply this concept to my 572B VTTC and see if it improves output smile
Steve Ward
Mon Jul 30 2012, 04:26AM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
The capacitors for the secondary were B32672L8122J.

Link2

I was originally looking for some ceramic doorknob caps that would suit the job, but couldnt find anything reasonable. The long string of PP film caps seems like a real winner.

I simply soldered them face to face (sort of in a spiral pattern, 2 caps per "turn"). I was then able to fit this string of caps snugly into a PVC pipe that was about 1.4" ID (going from memory here). I think its important that the capacitor string be physically the same length as the secondary coil so that the voltage gradient along the cap string is very much the same as the gradient along the coil. This provides low field stresses inside of the coil, and keeps the capacitor string free from pesky breakouts that would destroy the thing (obviously, if it can make a 4 foot spark).

These are the only pictures i have of the MMC:

Link2

Link2

Hopefully thats enough info for you to recreate it for your VTTC. Im not sure if a coil will benefit from the added capacitance unless its streamer capacitance starts to exceed the self-capacitance of the coil. But, i think its a worthy experiment still!
PhilGood
Mon Jul 30 2012, 12:46PM
PhilGood Registered Member #3806 Joined: Sat Apr 02 2011, 09:20PM
Thanks Steve for the detailed explanation and pics.

What are your secondary self-capacitance without the MMC, and your topload capacitance ? (to give me an idea of the secondary MMC value I should start with).

My VTTC secondary self-capacitance is 2.3pF, my topload is 5.3pF.

I'm thinking to use a string of these small K15Y-1 caps. Their Ø is around 15mm, which is fine, and their axial outputs are perfect for series connection.

Not sure I'll get any benefit from this, but definitely worth trying it ! cheesey
radhoo
Mon Jul 30 2012, 02:15PM
radhoo Registered Member #1938 Joined: Sun Jan 25 2009, 12:44PM
Great project, and love the quality pics!

What would be the next steps for improving the streamers even further?
Dr. Brownout
Tue Jul 31 2012, 01:16AM
Dr. Brownout Registered Member #2405 Joined: Fri Oct 02 2009, 12:59AM
Steve Ward wrote ...

The capacitors for the secondary were B32672L8122J.

Link2

I was originally looking for some ceramic doorknob caps that would suit the job, but couldnt find anything reasonable. The long string of PP film caps seems like a real winner.

I simply soldered them face to face (sort of in a spiral pattern, 2 caps per "turn"). I was then able to fit this string of caps snugly into a PVC pipe that was about 1.4" ID (going from memory here). I think its important that the capacitor string be physically the same length as the secondary coil so that the voltage gradient along the cap string is very much the same as the gradient along the coil. This provides low field stresses inside of the coil, and keeps the capacitor string free from pesky breakouts that would destroy the thing (obviously, if it can make a 4 foot spark).

These are the only pictures i have of the MMC:

Link2

Link2

Hopefully thats enough info for you to recreate it for your VTTC. Im not sure if a coil will benefit from the added capacitance unless its streamer capacitance starts to exceed the self-capacitance of the coil. But, i think its a worthy experiment still!

What size doorknob caps do you need? I have some here I could contribute to your experiments. I have some 30KV and 50KV caps. I dont mind contributing you have contributed a lot so I could certainly hook ya up with either 2700pF or 1700pF, 30KV and 50KV respectively.
first  3 4 5 6 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: