Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Minibrute Construction Thread / FAQs

Move Thread LAN_403
UnionTesla
Wed Apr 25 2012, 07:19PM
UnionTesla Registered Member #2685 Joined: Sun Feb 14 2010, 07:23PM
Hello, I am testing the self resonant control board, and I have replaced all of the ICs at this point, but I am still not getting the first 0V-5V square wave in the testing procedure to come through. Instead I am getting a 500mV peak to peak square wave. Has anyone else had this problem?
BubeeMike
Tue Jun 12 2012, 11:29AM
BubeeMike Registered Member #4829 Joined: Thu May 10 2012, 04:55PM
I didn't think it appropriate to start a thread over this, but just wondering if anyone has found a place to buy a PDF version of both these books? I too have the DRSSTC, but I hate paper, and have been contemplating buying the Mini-brute book, but I don't want another paper book. Just curious?
Daniel Kramnik
Tue Jul 10 2012, 09:11PM
Daniel Kramnik Registered Member #3885 Joined: Sun May 15 2011, 12:47AM
UnionTesla wrote ...

I am still not getting the first 0V-5V square wave in the testing procedure to come through. Instead I am getting a 500mV peak to peak square wave.

Sounds suspiciously like a scope probe x1/x10 mistake...
Graham Armitage
Tue Aug 14 2012, 08:01PM
Graham Armitage Registered Member #6038 Joined: Mon Aug 06 2012, 11:31AM
UnionTesla
I had the same problem on my controller board with really low voltages. Thought I had blown the ICs too. Turns out there was a break in the of the solder points that prevented the 74HC14 from getting a ground connection and so was not outputting the correct signal from pin 4. Took me a long time to find the problem and kept second guessing myself. Not saying this is your issue, but maybe it can help.
Rollingblackout
Sat Oct 26 2013, 05:09AM
Rollingblackout Registered Member #1524 Joined: Sun Jun 08 2008, 05:25PM
A few years ago when I built my miniBrute one of my main low performance issues was due to making a complete loop or ring with the strike rail. Back to the book found the part I missed and performance was reestablished. I put it away for a few months then found that the over current protection circuit was incorrectly powered. Following a posted repair I gained even more power and put it away. Today I'm playing again and after a few hours of making my neighbors look over the fence I noticed my secondary is leaning. It turns out I made another loop with the grounding. I stuck copper tape in a nice ring around the bottom 3/4" of the form. Well it heated up and the clear plastic started to melt. Now that is also fixed and I have a question. Does the toroid make a loop? I am using a aluminum duct 3" and I covered that with wall smoothing compound then covered that with aluminum tape. I found small blue sparks in the surface of the smooth finish where tape corners are. When I disassemble the thing I think the toroid is warmer then when I started. Is this another place where I could be loosing performance?
Polishedball
Sat Oct 03 2015, 12:22AM
Polishedball Registered Member #43110 Joined: Sat Feb 08 2014, 03:46PM
I am currently building this coil, I am trying to get a better idea of how where to connect the RF ground. I have read and saw the pictures connecting the bottom of the secondary to a piece of copper strap on the side , but have either missed or it isn't there where to connect RF ground. Does this coil require a stake in the ground for it?

Edit: c101 is sorted heard back from Dan, just as FYI for future the 4.7 isn't used and the .1 goest from negative DC rail to earth ground. So still looking for info on how to ground and what points this coil.

/Also C101 does anyone know if it was changed I do not have a 4.7uF @600V but seem to have a poly cap that is .1 @ 2000V that seems to have no home? Thoughts /

Thanks
Mads Barnkob
Mon Oct 05 2015, 09:05AM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
Polishedball wrote ...

I am currently building this coil, I am trying to get a better idea of how where to connect the RF ground. I have read and saw the pictures connecting the bottom of the secondary to a piece of copper strap on the side , but have either missed or it isn't there where to connect RF ground. Does this coil require a stake in the ground for it?

Edit: c101 is sorted heard back from Dan, just as FYI for future the 4.7 isn't used and the .1 goest from negative DC rail to earth ground. So still looking for info on how to ground and what points this coil.

/Also C101 does anyone know if it was changed I do not have a 4.7uF @600V but seem to have a poly cap that is .1 @ 2000V that seems to have no home? Thoughts /

Thanks

Did you read through this topic? Did you search for ground in this topic? I do not think you did any of those simple routines.

It is covered already at page 4: Link2

site rules wrote ...
Part II: Posting
B. Do your own research. If you intend to ask a question, please make sure it isn't already addressed in the archives, or on the wiki. Also, be sure to perform at least a cursory Google search. Remember, nobody wants to do your homework for you. Show some effort, and the community will repay you in kind.
Polishedball
Tue Oct 06 2015, 12:44AM
Thanks you are correct. I only skimmed it, I did Google the topic prior and seems to be lots of opinions. That was why I came here and asked.
I have now read the 16 pages. Thanks again for the link back.

I'll add build pics in my next post.

Mads Barnkob wrote ...

Polishedball wrote ...

Thanks

Did you read through this topic? Did you search for ground in this topic? I do not think you did any of those simple routines.

It is covered already at page 4: Link2

site rules wrote ...
Part II: Posting
B. Do your own research. If you intend to ask a question, please make sure it isn't already addressed in the archives, or on the wiki. Also, be sure to perform at least a cursory Google search. Remember, nobody wants to do your homework for you. Show some effort, and the community will repay you in kind.
Polishedball
Sun Oct 11 2015, 09:22PM
Anyone spot any issue with this layout? Just wanted to ask before I wire it up. Thanks

Also can you tell me is there a way to test the phase of the gates, without the advanced modulator. That book has you using it. (I will own it shortly, but would like to test before it arrives.)

1444598520 43110 FT36701 Image
Polishedball
Sat Oct 24 2015, 10:57PM
Complete and worked the first power on. Thankful for the information here and the excellent responses from EasternVoltage.

1445727421 43110 FT36701 Image

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: