Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

"Big Bad" the CW coil

1 2 3 4
Move Thread LAN_403
Marko
Sun Oct 16 2011, 12:27AM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Hi everyone,

After a long, long time I finally did some more runs on this onster, all successful with hgtg30N60 igbt's still in place.
I now installed an overcurrent protection circuit, replaced the troublesome primary former and filmed for whatever is going to come out of the coil.

From the action of the curent limiter I could now estimate the values of the primary current, and they are indeed batshit insane. For the run in the video I set it to over 60amps, while these igbt's are rated for only like 30amps at 100kHz. I put the faith into the fact that the devices are only switching a portion of this current, so perhaps less than 30A in "hard switching", as well as into shear ruggedness of these devices.

Link2

The coil stops in the video once the current limiter acts, I set it with a quite large time constant, so I can turn the variac down a bit when this occurs. Had the coil break out once from the side of it's toroid when it restarted, will need a bigger toroid soon!

Only one big problem remains - my fans seem to slow down when the coil is run (this can actually be heard in the video) apparently due to very close proximity to live heatsinks (yet I didn't see this happen with other models of fans). So I'm most likely going to have to shield or replace the fans, the first is a lot of work and the second is costly. But for short runs this seems ok and heatsinks are dead cold all the time.

I may try to run this until destruction just for the heck of it tomorrow... as it certainly looks like I'm not going to get much more power with this bridge in this topology. I measured the DC bus voltage and single phase current with moving coil meters - in this run I was up to about 300V and 16A; my brain hurts now because I'm unsure how to read this data, if those 16A were real RMS current per phase and power factor is close to unity this would mean over 14kW input which just can't be right... I also have a 10A breaker that didnt trip even with this overload.

Regarding the fate of this coil, I might definitely want to upgrade it to series resonant topology or something similar that won't put such extreme reactive power stress onto the bridge. Instead of buying prohibitive amounts of copper pipe I was thinking of using a bigass ferrite transformer, to step down the output from my bridge. With a core such as one of these: Link2

The resonant cap still remains a problem though, for my current primary I'd need about 100nF cap with very high current rating. (BTW, those doorknobs I had turned out to be the useless type).

Still if I got a proper resonant cap I could even upgrade the coil into QCW one day.

Marko

PS. Can anyone point out to some usable capacitors on ebay? I'm kind of lost regarding what to look for. Would I have any use from those old mica/silver bricks?
At last I thought I can use a big geek cap MMC borrowed from the DRSSTC, although that's probably rather overkill.

PS^2 What about a bank of these caps?

Link2

Marko
Wed Nov 23 2011, 02:47AM
OMG updatez! ;)
Goodchild
Wed Nov 23 2011, 09:08PM
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM
HAHA ok that was great, I love how the fans speed back up again after the sparks turn off. You must be pulling a ton of current from the wall!!
Marko
Sun Nov 27 2011, 02:34AM
Hey guys,

well, neither my caps nor the fans have arrived yet, but I did some work on fixing my variac startup circuit to finally stop it from tripping breakers when being plugged in... Fluorescent tube starter now adds the extra delay required. Should do some good CW spork when I finally get myupgrade parts.

Marko

1322361285 89 FT95545 P4240082 Large
tarakan2
Thu Mar 30 2017, 04:57AM
tarakan2 Registered Member #3859 Joined: Sun May 01 2011, 03:47PM
May I see the schematic for the H bridge driver, please.

Is it a good idea to use a single GDT driver transformer?
http://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk/wp-content/gallery/2009_08_27_-_kaizer_drsstc_i/kaizerdrsstc1bridge.gif
 1 2 3 4

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: