Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/11 ramses (16)
05/11 Arcstarter (31)
05/11 Zak (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Solid State Disruptive Coil Spark Gaps

Move Thread LAN_403
GimpyJoe
Mon May 22 2006, 02:37PM
GimpyJoe Registered Member #316 Joined: Mon Mar 13 2006, 01:30PM
Nice! Do you think it could work reasonably well with just one IGBT section and run on mains with a voltage doubler or tripler? That would be great, a small lightweight coil with the simplicity of a SGTC and the portability of an SSTC.
williamn
Mon May 22 2006, 02:41PM
williamn Registered Member #55 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:56AM
Very cool Terry! You have my attention, I started work on one of these coils this weekend. smile
HV Enthusiast
Mon May 22 2006, 03:08PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Funky wrote ...

Nice! Do you think it could work reasonably well with just one IGBT section and run on mains with a voltage doubler or tripler? That would be great, a small lightweight coil with the simplicity of a SGTC and the portability of an SSTC.

Isn't that what an OLTC is???
Dr. Dark Current
Mon May 22 2006, 05:14PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
EastVoltResearch wrote ...

Funky wrote ...

Isn't that what an OLTC is???

..but much simpler without any timers...?! Maybe another contribution to my "Super Simple Tesla Coil" ? cheesey

J.M.
Terry Fritz
Mon May 22 2006, 06:21PM
Terry Fritz Registered Member #393 Joined: Tue Apr 18 2006, 12:30AM

That is actully how all this got started. I was trying to make a simple small coil with SIDACS (like my DF-DRSSTC trigger circuit) but they did not have the current drive ability. So I started looking for a way to get an IGBT to help them... The rest is history cheesey I guess I can start thinking about that project again now that this is pretty much done amazed

Unlike the OLTC, there are no timers, controls, or other brains... It really is just like a "spark gap" (but DC). One can fiddle with the SIDAC voltages to get it to fire at any voltage. One section could probably do say 1000, 1100, 1199.99 volts :o) Of course there are bigger higher voltage IGBTs too. Nothing is very critical and there are many things that could be adapeted or changed around. So far, an SISG system has never failed wink I think over heating the IGBTs is the only obvious way and that is a bit hard to do.

Here is the latest news as of an hour ago. This pretty much finishes the project up here, be sure and see the nice movie!! I guess I forgot to "talk" suprised

--------------------

Hi All,

It's been 24 days now and it is pretty much all finished wink)

Without messing with coupling, tuning (probably real close), or any thing like that, I can fairly easily hit 24 inches at 117W - and 30 inches at 183W. The Freau number there is 2.22 in both cases. That number seems very "constant".

I was only able to go to 5 sections instead of six due to the limited safety area in my basement. With six sections, it should get to 263 watts for 36 inches. The whole mess could probably be more optimal, but my goal here was just to get "one" working wink)

I made a movie here, with a good camera this time, of it doing 30 inch hits wink (25 MB MPG movie file)

Link2

Got to the lower right and click "free". It makes you wait about 30 seconds to read the ads and click off the popups. Then type in the funny letters and download. I have been using Link2 a lot so buy everything in the ads and donate to them wink) It certainly solves the big file distribution problem!! It is a plain MPG file that even a modern DVD player should play if you burn it to disk...

The little heat sinks get to about body temperature for short runs which is just right according to the calculations. Bigger heat sinks and/or a fan would be good for extended operation.

The full data on everything is here (might take a while to DL since it is 'busy" wink):

Link2

I still need to finish this up, but it is up to date as of last night. Let me know, off list, if there are any errors or something I should add or polish up. It was written in parts, very fast wink But it is the best way to document stuff like this. A far cry from the OLTC :o)))

Nothing has blown up yet and everything seems perfectly happy. The only bug was the DC MOT charging which I had to whip up a high voltage blocking inductor for. But that was a mundane typical MOT coil issue.

You have to be careful to turn up the variac until is just starts to run smoothly (120 BPS) and no more. If you turn up the voltage too high, the BPS rate can go up dramatically and overheat the IGBTs. Higher BPS does not seem to increase spark length other than making them sound funny. Sort of "screetchy".

Thanks for everyone's help, input, and encouragement!!! Looks like we all have a new toy smile)))

BTW - The dual MOT system has an extremely dangerous primary system!! Be very careful when working on them especially now that there are electronic circuits and stuff in there to fiddle with. Be ultra sure that the power is off before working on them. Be very careful of the output arcs since it is possible for a primary to secondary break over to present lethal currents on the secondary. Note too that the primary circuit can be almost at full power, but totally silent!

--------------------------

Cheers,

Terry
HV Enthusiast
Mon May 22 2006, 07:07PM
Looks good Terry. I think the next test is to make a true comparison between a spark gap coil and SISG coil ensuring identical break-rates.
Reaching
Mon May 22 2006, 08:45PM
Reaching Registered Member #76 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 10:04AM
hehe, exactly what i tried to build long ago with an scr and you did it with simple parts. incredible.
mhh, okay, i have many 600volt high pulsed current igbts, capacitors, a mot, coils etc, . have to make one cheesey

mhh, i searched but i didnt found anything called sidac in germany. a sidac is called diac in germany but no one sells them. now thats the question, can i use triacs as a sidac replacement? or can i use a transient voltage surpressor instead of the sidacs, something like this? Link2
Self Defenestrate
Mon May 22 2006, 09:25PM
Self Defenestrate Registered Member #87 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 01:36PM
Finally a simple solid state option for my 1kv coil. No more "shrinking gap" effect with this. Cool.
Terry Fritz
Mon May 22 2006, 10:22PM
Terry Fritz Registered Member #393 Joined: Tue Apr 18 2006, 12:30AM
mhh, i searched but i didnt found anything called sidac in germany. a sidac is called diac in germany but no one sells them. now thats the question, can i use triacs as a sidac replacement? or can i use a transient voltage surpressor instead of the sidacs, something like this?

A TVS will not work since the SIDAC has to "stay on" "longer"... The "SIDAC" (no one knows, or will admit, to what SIDAC "really" stands for) has a data sheet here.

Link2

One may be able to wire up things like a DIAC to do the same function... I don't know...

Teccor makes them:

Link2

Here is probably far far more than anyone wnats to know about them (94 pages!) wink)

Link2

A wiki -

Link2

Cheers,

Terry

HV Enthusiast
Mon May 22 2006, 10:58PM
Terry Fritz wrote ...

The "SIDAC" (no one knows, or will admit, to what SIDAC "really" stands for) has a data sheet here.

Cheers,

Terry

Thats an easy one. SIDAC simply stands for Silicon Diode for Alternating Current. Its a pretty old term.

Dan

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: