Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

What's the best off-the-shelf solution for a vacuum encapsulation chamber?

first  2 3 4 5 
Move Thread LAN_403
ConKbot of Doom
Tue Nov 17 2009, 08:32PM
ConKbot of Doom Registered Member #509 Joined: Sat Feb 10 2007, 07:02AM
Bored Chemist wrote ...

If it's big enough you might want to get thepolycarb jar out of the trashcan and use it as an implosion shield.
If the glass belljar breaks it won't be pretty.
It is the trash can ;) and unfortunately its not big enough.
jpsmith123
Thu Nov 19 2009, 09:41PM
jpsmith123 Registered Member #1321 Joined: Sat Feb 16 2008, 03:22AM
Here's a picture of the completed vacuum chamber.

I didn't get a chance to test it yet, but hopefully tomorrow I can do that.

It took a little effort to get the viton gasket onto the stock pot, but now that it's on there, it seems very good.

1258666804 1321 FT78562 Chamber
jpsmith123
Fri Nov 20 2009, 09:03PM
Well with it set up as shown it pumped down to a little less than 500 mT, which isn't very good, IMO, but there's a leak at one of the adapters near the pump.

The only thing I had to do was to push down on the acrylic a little bit when it first started pumping, but then it was self sealing after that.

1258750974 1321 FT78562 Chamber2
ConKbot of Doom
Sun Nov 22 2009, 03:51AM
nice setup :) and yeah those L profile gaskets are a trick to put on... ours was buna rubber, and definitely took some work to get on.
jpsmith123
Sun Nov 22 2009, 05:54AM
Hello C of D,

The only problem now is that my vacuum pump is junk. Actually it's not the pump, per se, but the inlet fitting that came on the pump. I never really looked at it/studied it very closely until now, when I realized there's a leak there somewhere.

It looks like a little kid designed it, or at least someone who doesn't know much about vacuum systems.

The pump is supposed to be capable of going to 15 mtorr, but I can't get it below 200 mtorr...so I either have to try to modify the fitting or make a new one, or possibly just get another pump.

Bored Chemist
Sun Nov 22 2009, 09:55AM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
500mTorr is pretty poor- but it should be good enough to degas stuff. If you get the pressure low enough you will boil the potting compound and that won't help.
ConKbot of Doom
Mon Nov 23 2009, 03:58PM
Bored Chemist wrote ...

500mTorr is pretty poor- but it should be good enough to degas stuff. If you get the pressure low enough you will boil the potting compound and that won't help.
+1 to that, our only goes down to 1 torr or so, but all our tubing is just slip fit connections, plus our gauge is only graduated in torr, not using any vacuum grease, and our valve setup isnt anything fancy. But it works great for what I use it for. After I clean out the inside of the assembly with flux remover, I put whatever assembly in the chamber, run it down to dry it out, and the gauge hangs at ~20 torr for a while while the solvent evaporates. Then again around 8-5 while water evaporates, then down to 1 slowly.

When I'm encapsulating stuff, I pull out potting down to 5 torr or so (it rises, falls, boils for a bit... slows down, but stays expanded some) then I put the potting into the assembly, and pull it down to ~20 torr or so, our potting expands too much below 20 torr, and I'd need a larger reservoir at the mouth of the assembly. Your system should be more then adequate for vacuum potting, even of high voltage stuff. If youre trying to oil impregnate something and you wanna be really sure, heat the object and oil before you put it in.

Link2 looks like you wont have to worry about boiling the mineral oil (if youre oil impregnating), unless you get it to ~ 200C
jpsmith123
Mon Nov 23 2009, 04:21PM
What kind of vacuum pump are you using? Just based on your description of your use of the pump, I'm thinking it may be a dry scroll pump like an Edwards XDS-10? Or is it a common rotary vane pump with gas ballast?

I used to have an old Welch pump and know if I pumped any quantity of anything volatile, it contaminated the oil and became a real PITA.

I can't afford a dry scroll pump right now, so I'm leaning toward buying the Viot pump over the Harbor Freight pump...just because the Viot has the gas ballast feature. Having never had a pump with gas ballast though, I don't know how effective it really is in practice.
ConKbot of Doom
Tue Nov 24 2009, 04:49AM
jpsmith123 wrote ...

What kind of vacuum pump are you using? Just based on your description of your use of the pump, I'm thinking it may be a dry scroll pump like an Edwards XDS-10? Or is it a common rotary vane pump with gas ballast?

I used to have an old Welch pump and know if I pumped any quantity of anything volatile, it contaminated the oil and became a real PITA.

I can't afford a dry scroll pump right now, so I'm leaning toward buying the Viot pump over the Harbor Freight pump...just because the Viot has the gas ballast feature. Having never had a pump with gas ballast though, I don't know how effective it really is in practice.
Link2
rotary vane gas ballast pump, you got it
Hmm looks like they say its a lot more capable then what we are getting it to, but I suspect the tubing and fittings, and no grease on the seal, are the culpret there. I should probably run it for a while with the gas ballast open to 'freshen up' the oil too.
jpsmith123
Tue Dec 01 2009, 12:31AM
Well I made a new inlet fitting for this "Dosivac" vacuum pump I got from ebay, out of a brass flare fitting, and I attached the thermocouple tube to it, and it pumped right down to about "0" on the meter.

So I guess the pump itself is pretty good...as good or better than my old Welch belt-drive pump.

It's mind-boggling to me that a company could make a pump like that and then compromise the whole design...throw away the performance the customers want and are paying for...by mating the pump to an inlet/valve assy. that can't help but leak.

Anyway, hopefully now I can get back to finishing the coils...
first  2 3 4 5 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: