Finn Hammer (72)
Blue Adept (43)
Nickel (68)

Next birthdays
05/18 AlexRU73 (39)
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Diffusion pump project

1 2 3 4
Move Thread LAN_403
plazmatron
Sun Feb 14 2010, 04:31PM
plazmatron Registered Member #1134 Joined: Tue Nov 20 2007, 04:39PM
Very cool!

You will likely need a larger diameter, and shorter vacuum line to pump down the Diffusion pump.

A few posts back I had said that I was using copper brake line on the low side, and that the fittings on the pump manifold (1/4" SAE) were much too small, and were doing a marvelous job of choking what could be a good pump!

For this reason I was using two of the available ports, however I wasn't really happy with using such narrow diameter tubes, so last night I disassembled the pump manifold, and modified it a little.

1266164228 1134 FT77678 1

There are three fittings on the javac inlet, a 1/4" SAE, a 3/8" SAE, and 1/2" acme. The acme is on top of the inlet, providing the path of least resistance for the pumped gases, and is also has the largest internal diameter, so I modified this port.

The internal diameter of the 1/2" acme is just over 6mm, and it turns out after removing it from the pump body, that the internal diameter of the inlet manifold is 10mm, so I bored out the center of the acme to 10mm for maximum possible flow rate.

1266164193 1134 FT77678 2

I soldered on a 1/2" speedivac coupling I had in my box of junk. A more modern flange might have been better, but this is quite satisfactory for now.

1266164244 1134 FT77678 3

Above: The complete coupling on the manifold.

The results:

To the other half of the coupling I soldered a 6" length of standard 15mm copper plumbing pipe, that just happened to fit quite snugly in the 1/2" speedivac fitting.

To this I attached one of my glass discharge tubes, shown further up the post, connected up the EHT supply, and fired up the pump.
The flow rate and base pressure now is simply amazing! It will pump down to a "soft x-ray" vacuum (i.e. the luminous discharge in the tube will cease, and the tube will produce x-rays) in about 5 seconds, all by itself!

Before, it would take around 15minutes to reach base pressure, and this was quite a way away from the vacuum it pulls now.

There is no doubt now, that the pump will be capable of forepumping quite large diffusion pumps, and once I hook it up to my small diffusion pump, I expect the ultimate vacuum of the system to be much much deeper.

Les
Proud Mary
Sun Feb 14 2010, 06:13PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Coo that's good, Les!

I very recently bought a lot of seven Mini-Instruments Mini-Monitors, together with ten Alrad Gammatell II, and three branded only "Harwell Dose Meter" in an ex-Harwell auction, £23 the lot.

The Gammatell IIs use tin foil compensated ZP1313 mini GM tubes and have a cute little 500V supply the size of a double sugar cube.

I'll re-calibrate these instruments with a function generator when I've finished refurbishing them.

The Alrad Gammatells run from a standard PP3 9V battery and have a red LED display in total uSv (push button to view), and a dose-rate alarm with five levels (uSv/hr) which can be selected by moving an agreeably simple internal jumper. The three yellow "Harwell Dose Meter" also have a programmable alarm but use a 3V battery and have an LCD display

I'll send you a Gammatell II when I've rigourously tested them over one month's continuous operation.

plazmatron
Tue Feb 16 2010, 10:51PM
Proud Mary wrote ...

I'll send you a Gammatell II when I've rigourously tested them over one month's continuous operation.

Thanks! Thats jolly decent of you!

My 1/2" "vacuum hose", turned up today. I was looking for wire reinforced PVC pipe for the low side. I scoured the 'net for the boomin' stuff, and it was only when I was looking on evilBay for a reaction vessel, that I found some being sold by the biodiesel crowd as suction hose.

In case anyone was wondering, wire reinforced PVC is ideal for medium vacuum use, i.e. connecting your forepumps to your diff pumps, for the high vacuum side, you really do need metal.

I will fire up a pic of the new setup once my valves turn up, and are fitted

Les
plazmatron
Fri Feb 19 2010, 07:32PM
Here is the diffusion pump with 1/2" reinforced hose, attached to the modified manifold.

1266607602 1134 FT77678 4

Some of the more observant among you, might also notice I removed the fitting on the Diffusion pump, that necked the pipe down to 8mm. Now the high vacuum side is 15mm diameter, with only one solder joint.

Every little helps with these things! I am happy with it now as it stands.

Les
Fabio
Mon Nov 22 2010, 12:18PM
Fabio Registered Member #122 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 12:55PM
Hi guys!

After some time, i found the other parts necessary for the cooling system; now i'm fixing them on the frame.

Th

Th

Th

Th

Th

Ciao!
Fabio.
Proud Mary
Mon Nov 22 2010, 12:26PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
My Goodness, Fabio! What a splendid piece of work! And your great metal beehive makes my diffusion pumps look tiny. But size isn't everything, you know! wink
Fabio
Fri Dec 10 2010, 10:04PM
Fabio Registered Member #122 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 12:55PM
i fixed and connected everything on the cooling system last week but, unfortunately, the diaphragm pump i used for liquid circulation is too violent, it acts as hidraulic ram and force the internal baffle of the diffusion pump to vibrate vigorously.

to avoid any risk of damages, i must add something to smooth the hidraulic flux coming from the pump, a water reservoir with an huge air bubble inside should work fine.

This is my solution of the problem, i made a transparent reservoir with a water fountain inside for both aestethical and pratical purposes (i can clearly see if i have a liquid flux or i have occlusion problems)

Th

Ciao!
Fabio.
hboy007
Sun Aug 19 2012, 10:42AM
hboy007 Registered Member #1667 Joined: Sat Aug 30 2008, 09:57PM
forgive me for disturbing the dead (threads), I just found an interesting publication on the electron beam induced radiolysis of organic pollutants:

"Boron Nitride Electron Permeable Windows Used In Electron Beam Water Treatment" Link2

Basically, you'd break up organic compounds by direct radiolysis and by introducing free radicals. The radiation dose in the kGy range however seems to be intimidating. Maybe there is something to be learnt in the context of food irradiation, too.

Aromatic compounds can be qualitatively analyzed with aluminium chloride. I'm not asking plazmatron to do the experiment, just wanted to hint to its existence wink

plazmatron wrote ...

... wrote ...

That is amazing :-o

A little ebay searching turned up some 9um (.3mil!) thick Ti foil, I wonder if it would hold to 15psi or not

What are you planning to do with this new toy?

Thanks for the link, I was just having a dig myself!
9µ should be easily able to handle the the pressure, the window is only 5mm diameter after all.
I hear that ordinary kitchen foil is around 16µ so 9µ in Ti should be ideal.

Well the diff pump will be used for allsorts of vacuum work, the Lenard tube was something of a diversion smile
But, since it is a very interesting diversion, it will have to be scaled up a little. I figure a 250kV tube would satisfy my curiosity!

Les

ps.
At higher energies in conjunction with oxide surfaces, even more intriguing reactions happen, leading to the production of molecular hydrogen:
"Zirconia is thus found to produce high amounts of H2 (Figure 1) [60],
which is due to the scavenging of excitons by adsorbed water molecules, as also shown by
thermostimulated luminescence experiments."
Link2
plazmatron
Sun Aug 19 2012, 02:39PM
hboy007 wrote ...

forgive me for disturbing the dead (threads), I just found an interesting publication on the electron beam induced radiolysis of organic pollutants:

"Boron Nitride Electron Permeable Windows Used In Electron Beam Water Treatment" Link2

Basically, you'd break up organic compounds by direct radiolysis and by introducing free radicals. The radiation dose in the kGy range however seems to be intimidating. Maybe there is something to be learnt in the context of food irradiation, too.

Aromatic compounds can be qualitatively analyzed with aluminium chloride. I'm not asking plazmatron to do the experiment, just wanted to hint to its existence wink

Not dead, just slumbering!

Stella mentioned Boron Nitride windows some time back, as possible x-ray windows, since they are very transparent to low energy x-rays, which is one of our interests.

It is expensive stuff though! It is possible for x-rays to use polyethylene, and any number of other light polymers, on a continuously pumped system. Although the electrons and x-rays will destroy the window, they will last long enough to perform a variety of experiments, and are inexpensive enough to be considered consumables.

For electrons, obviously a polymer would be destroyed almost instantly.

Incidentally, the Titanium window I made was much too thin, and ignited from the electron impact in my Lenard tube!

I did however, manage to use ordinary aluminium foil effectively, once I redesigned the tube:

1345386869 1134 FT77678 Alwindow

This tube used a carbon fibre cold cathode, and worked extremely well. The camera did not pick up the blue glow as well as the dark adapted eye can, and it extended some 3 cm out from the window at 60kV or so.

These are particularly dangerous devices, and whilst I am happy that I built it, it isn't something I would want to work around to investigate radiochemistry. Low energy x-rays are much, much safer!

Les
 1 2 3 4

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: