All today's birthdays', congrats!
cbfull (52)
Steve Ward (39)

Next birthdays
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
05/20 Vaxian (17)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

my secondary coil, is this OK?

first  2 3 4 5 
Move Thread LAN_403
raff
Tue Sept 01 2009, 11:31PM
raff Registered Member #2315 Joined: Tue Aug 25 2009, 02:35AM
I see.. I charged the home made cap(7.8nF) with 80watt flyback driver, it gave out max NOISE(bang) with 4mm gap distance, beyond that, no more arking.. higher GAP, lower charge-discharge cycle, lower gap (say 1-2mm) results in faster charge-discharge cycle... Thanks

raff
Wed Sept 02 2009, 07:29AM
almost done
2qum3rq

blower or sucker? its from a cheap hair dryer...
2v0bq1l

still working on that fan motor(for gap) and the topload... otherwise, its done... smile
(mod edit: oversized pics cruelly squidged! Edit your post to see how)
raff
Wed Sept 02 2009, 09:31AM
guys,

does the topload HEAT up during operation? If I cant find a metal or aluminum duct, maybe I will use a plastic ang WRAP it with many layers of aluminum foil..
Mads Barnkob
Wed Sept 02 2009, 01:29PM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
raff wrote ...

guys,

does the topload HEAT up during operation? If I cant find a metal or aluminum duct, maybe I will use a plastic ang WRAP it with many layers of aluminum foil..

There should be no significant heating on the topload on such a small flyback driven SGTC, unless you draw an arc closely for some period.

I have only experienced real heating on the topload, where it felt warm to the hand, when running 3kW CW mode on a SSTC.
Coronafix
Wed Sept 02 2009, 11:15PM
Coronafix Registered Member #160 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 02:07AM
You should turn that hairdryer around so that it blows between the gaps.
If your primary is solid copper, then you could strip the insulation and tap it where you want to.
raff
Thu Sept 03 2009, 12:25AM
guys,

made a 1st run.. primary used was that shown in photo.. inner diameter was 4.4" and spark gap no BLOWER yet.. powered it up with 12w flyback driver..it works! but I had to draw the arc going >> to the GND end of the secondary..or there is arcing between primary and secondary(w/c has OD of 3")... I have also seen that there is MORE output with topload compared to NO topload... with 12watt power from flyback driver, I could draw 1cm spark from it(no tesla connection).... with the tesla connected and running, I could get close to 1.5" (with topload) using the Hv out of the secondary and its GND connection...

this morning, I have integrated the hair dryer motor(as blower) to the gap..done! and I have REdone my coil (just expanded it only) so I could make 6" ID coil..resulting in 4.5T total.... I did THIS so there will be no arcing between primary and secondary... here are the results:

flyback driver = 78watts
WITH topload I just get 1.5" arcs (to GND connection)????
no topload, I could get 2-3" arcs (to GND)
but arcs are kinda THIN...

this means its seriously detuned, right?

I had better results with the 4.3" diamter primary than this 6" diameter primary...

EDIT:
after a few hours of tweaking, I made a new primary coil , flat pancake but looks like a cone cheesey
I think its in tune now, 5T for the primary and had to put up again my topload.. powered it up with my zvs@320watts, and bwweeeeeeewww there goes the noise.. with spark gap of 1mm, arcs(to gnd) are fast continouos, can reach to 4 or 5" in length..with gaps of about 4mm, I get whiter sparks(and longer too,about 6-7").. but its MORE noisy than ever, and I seem to have prob with my home made cap, the internal aluminum sheet sometimes arc to the connecting wire.. need to make another one with smaller foil dimensions... with 1mm of gap, my cap SEEMS to conk out.. dunno how to call it, seems like it would want to fire or not, something like that, and output seems a bit diminishing when this happens..

ill post video of this soon.. once we get clear skies here...
raff
Sun Sept 06 2009, 10:59AM
guys,

is this normal behaviour?

#1> when SGTC is close to being in-tune, tank CAP (sort of) heats up a bit than when you where just off resonance?

#2> with my secondary coil resonating at around 680KHz, putting an IDEAL topload, what would be the final resonant freq? just an estimate cheesey pls
brtaman
Sun Sept 06 2009, 11:39AM
brtaman Registered Member #2161 Joined: Fri Jun 05 2009, 03:36PM
Hey raff,

Nice project you are working on, using a blow-dryer is a good idea, it worked great for me on my flyback TC. As coronafix mentioned, you want it blowing on the spark gap.

To answer your question about the spark gap tunning, in the case of flyback SGTC's (have yet to make an AC charged SGTC), the tuning of the spark gap does have an effect on the tuning. Particularly, the higher the BPS (smaller gap width) the longer the streamers. I have noticed in my case when I was doing a final tune that changing the primary geometry (adding and subtracting turns) affects the BPS of the system so I had to adjust the spark gap for a given amount of primary. I believe that this is mainly due to the coupling coefficient and ring-up, as they affect the transfer of energy from primary to secondary.

Also the FKP-1s in my coil do seem to heat up quite a bit when running for 15 minutes+.

Please post up some vids when you are done, I really want to see what 320W of flyback input power does in action. :) Is the flyback ZVS driven?

Thanks
brtaman
raff
Sun Sept 06 2009, 12:42PM
Hi brtaman

yup its flyback zvs driven (40Vdc@8A) ... I could get almost 8" arcs to GND with the SGTC.... I do FINALLY see arcs (on the topload) even with a non-proper grounding of the secondary :) 3 meters of gnd wire still NOT connected to EARTH ground... but its better now than before.. note: I have been DOING the tuning on morning/afternoon only (outdoors) so sparks are a bit hard to see(or thin looking).. cant do it YET on evenings (SGTC are notoriously noisy)..

I changed again my primary to using 0.04" diameter HOOKUP wire (helical = 9T/4.2" ID about 19uH inductance), this has much better coupling than with the flat pancake style.. though I lowered it up a bit becuase of arcover with pri/sec.. I know pictures say more than words BUT.. dont worry i will post tommorow...

right now im just a bit frustrated angry (though its my part to blame) because I have to make another tank cap (mine was from hvwiki).. two times I have made but I used fewer sheets of transparency to upper the capacitance, after a few runs (few minutes actually)with the SGTC (w/c happen to be almost tuned) it died..but it DID work as expected...

this time Im going to REALLY FOLLOW those 15 sheets transparency total.. mine was only totalling 5 sheets tongue

and maybe ill have to redo my blown spark gap, maybe ADD another metal in-between(to make up a series SG for a better quenching...

one more thing I noticed, SGTC doesnt really need high amperage input(from zvs) but wants HIGHER voltage.. that is what I have noticed... flyback driven zvs with 15V @2A has more Hv output (on sgtc) than 12V @ 6A... suprised

till then..
brtaman
Sun Sept 06 2009, 01:23PM
brtaman Registered Member #2161 Joined: Fri Jun 05 2009, 03:36PM
Hey,

You really should ground the secondary. You will be in for quite a surprise performance wise. ;)

I agree SGTC's are VERY loud, but flyback SGTC's are even worse I think, my TC screams like an angry banshee. Earplugs are mandatory.

I think the main reason you are not seeing larger streamer/high performance when upping the voltage input is that you are limited by your cap size. Even though you are applying more power, all that is doing is charging up the cap quicker and effectively increasing your BPS, the bang energy is remaining constant, with extra caps you will increase your bang energy greatly, but with the increased supply of power the caps will still "fill" at a BPS similair to now, which will in turn increase your coils performance drastically. I suggest making an extra two three caps and hooking them up one at a time while increasing voltage input.

Anyway enjoy your project, building them is the fun part imo.
first  2 3 4 5 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: