Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

My First SMALL DRSSTC (Now with 4X Secondary Length Performance)

first  3 4 5 6 
Move Thread LAN_403
StevenCaton
Wed Apr 15 2009, 02:17AM
StevenCaton Registered Member #1845 Joined: Fri Dec 05 2008, 05:38AM
Coil looks great Phillip

Is that brass weatherstrip on your primary? It makes for a nice tight primary coil, and looks pretty good too.

However, in a drsstc I think you should go with Cu to cut down the primary resistance.

You did say it was only for testing purposes though.
Phillip Slawinski
Wed Apr 15 2009, 02:22AM
Phillip Slawinski Registered Member #1732 Joined: Thu Oct 02 2008, 02:34PM
It's .7" copper strip. It was old stock, so it's a little tarnished. I'll clean it up for the final product. I have to redo the secondary, as that didn't come out as planned either.
Dr. Drone
Wed Apr 15 2009, 02:57AM
Dr. Drone Registered Member #290 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 08:24PM
shades
Phillip Slawinski
Wed Apr 15 2009, 03:45AM
Dr. Spark wrote ...

I must add a little comment here, as offered to leave the coil with me at the Thon and would get it working and mail back. Comment back was ‘Nice offer but would not learn that way”….. wow, I was impressed!

This is what it is all about, building the coil and finding bugs and improving, always thinking of next coil and what was learned from previous design will be used as a basis in the next design; however, improved.

A flat primary will work; however, concerned about flash over and coupling. Remember that a DRSSTC is a pulse machine, so power transfer from primary can make or break spark length.

Rgs,
Ch

Hi Chris,

I'm glad I did decide to tackle this myself, as I have learned a whole lot from this project. The offer certainly was nice though!

Regarding the primary:

I am a little concerned about flashover, but this is just an experimental setup, so I'll see how it goes. I've got a rail of IGBTs so no worries wink My coupling is sitting around .13 right now, which is just about right. I should also address the lack of strike rail. I have put one on since I took this photo, so no worries there.

I've still got a month or two of debugging and polishing left on this coil, but that's okay. I'm getting a lot of mileage on this project. By the way, I decided to give Acrylic a try. I have a 2'x2' sheet of black acrylic I'm going to use for the final base. I'm also looking into moving to a full bridge of MiniBrick IGBTs so I'll have better thermal handling. I want to be able to run this thing hard at high break rates. Hopefully I'll have a real showpiece to bring to the 2010 W.W.T.

By the way, I figured out why my last secondary was smoking, and it is so simple I'm surprised I didn't see it before.

3443821678 2e58951b01 M

angry D'oh! Gotta hate those shorted turns.
Angstrom
Wed Apr 15 2009, 03:48AM
Angstrom Registered Member #1900 Joined: Fri Jan 02 2009, 06:44PM
Hmm that is rather spectacular...
Phillip Slawinski
Wed Apr 15 2009, 04:20AM
Here's the current bridge design I'm using. I think this is about as good as it's going to get for the TO-247's that I'm using. It turns out that the tab is not isolated, but in fact connected to the collector. I didn't know this before, and this explains why chunks of the board were blown off in previous failures. I also moved the bus caps much closer to the board, which drops stray inductance.

This isn't the final board I'll be using. I overexposed the board a somewhat and I had to use a sharpie to touch up some of those areas. Unfortunately the touch-up was not perfect. Also, I will tin plate the next bridge

3443931360 75a01f7b7c M 3443931842 Ee57389f65 M

**Note** This is an older version of the bridge, spacing is much improved on the new version, see above. Also the mounting of the caps has been improved. The caps are still in the same physical location.

3357424367 F24c7607cb M
Phillip Slawinski
Wed May 13 2009, 01:38AM
I got the coil working. Need to to some tuning, but all of the major issues are fixed.

3527272346 3cea1ae1ab M

3445968877 053ea3085a M

A few things have changed since I took the image above. I changed out the LEDs (who cares, but I thought I'd mention it). I also got rid of that stupid coaxial interrupter connection. I made my own optical link and it works beautifully :) Now I can run the coil farther away from me and not get bitten every time I try to adjust pulse width, or frequency. I'm now able to fit everything in the box quite easily. I ended up pulling the MMC featured in my first post back into service. I removed the sides of the box for better cooling (that's a lie, they fell off angry)

As it turns out the coil could have been working for the past week or so, I just didn't realize it was out of tune. I've been so caught up fixing other gremlins with the driver board and bridge that I didn't believe it could be something so simple as tuning.
twist2b
Wed May 13 2009, 08:00PM
twist2b Registered Member #2086 Joined: Tue Apr 21 2009, 02:33AM
I LOVE the prettyness :P

The winding always looks gorgeous... how long did it take?
Phillip Slawinski
Wed May 13 2009, 08:23PM
Thanks for the kind words.

The secondary didn't take that long to make, maybe three hours of work. I messed up when I was coating it, I let the epoxy sit for too long before applying it and it wasn't fluid enough to get the bubbles out or leave a smooth finish.. The box is sort of a prototype box that I put together to make sure I could fit everything.

I am going to rewind a new secondary with red enamel coated wire. I am going to rebuild the box out of black acrylic. This should give it a nice appearance :)

I ran the coil again today and I was able to get 18" sparks, and then the bridge died. I think I'm going to have to move to ISOTOP IGBTs.
Phillip Slawinski
Sun May 24 2009, 05:47PM
I've been hard at work redesigning the bridge for my DRSSTC. I just finished building the bridge yesterday. I decided to go with IXGN60N60C2D1 IGBTs, which should allow me to run 500A quite easily. The IGBTs I was using would struggle to do 310A. The new bridge I've constructed is smaller than the old one despite the increased power handling. I also decided to get rid of the voltage doubler, as I believe it was unable to keep up with the current demands of the coil. I increased the size of the RF bypass cap to 10uF, this is double the size of the previous cap. Aesthetically the new bridge looks much better than the previous one, or so I think.

I haven't tested the new bridge yet, as I'm waiting on my new scope to arrive. (TDS-2024B cheesey)

For a size reference the heatsink is 3.75"x2.75".

3557808055 B40b8f5563 M 3557807821 Ea4d76d564 M 3557303328 16551fe733 M 3557303030 A52ac1c908 M
first  3 4 5 6 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: