Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

My 4Mhz amplitude modulated audio sstc

Move Thread LAN_403
Reaching
Mon Jun 16 2008, 04:40PM
Reaching Registered Member #76 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 10:04AM
its almost impossible to try everything out. thats why i used a "normal" ferrite core for the choke. from my expierience with this circuit that material worked very well without too much heating. i dont know the exact type of material though. just some cheap ferrites. the drain choke is getting hot after a few minutes, around 40°C and remains at this temperature, . thats ok i think. i just dont wanted to try more out, cause i was worried that the wrong core material and inductance can distort the audiosignal modulated on the dc voltage. and the streamers are long enough. i wanted to build a high quality plasma speaker and thats it.. if you think, that other core material can improve efficiency in audio quality and volume, i´ll try it out for sure. but longer streamers can distort the audio so im not aiming for long sparks.
Reaching
Mon Jun 16 2008, 04:44PM
Sorry for doubleposting. heres the improved shematic i use.. the layout is the same, just a few changes in resistor values and gdt and choke
1213634666 76 FT44674 Classefinal
teslacoolguy
Mon Jun 16 2008, 09:46PM
teslacoolguy Registered Member #1107 Joined: Thu Nov 08 2007, 10:09PM
What can the bc546 be substuted for? (I am assuming that a bc550 will work just fine.)

Edit: Also i was wondering what awg is the secondary? And what are the specs, diameter, hight and also what kind of heatsinks do you need for the fets.
Marko
Tue Jun 17 2008, 12:45PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
It depends on the power level you are running at Marko. Type-26 is the cheapest crapiest grade of iron-powder for use in very high-volume low-cost SMPSUs operating the tens or low hundreds of kHz. If it suffices for any other particular application then great, because it is dirt cheap, but there are many better materials for RFCs.

Oh, OK then. Still with low cost and availability of those toroids, why not use them as long as they work?

As far as I think I understand, the *ripple current*, that is, the AC component of current, is what makes the core get hot. To reduce the ripple I want higher inductance, but inductance is limited by max ampere turns before the core goes into saturation.

So, if I need more power I can use several cores stacked or as separate inductors in series to reduce cookage.

Material 2 has mu relative of only 10 though, bug I heard it's praised for RF use. Can it also be used as AC current choke or transformer core at it's rated(2-20Mhz) frequencies?
GeordieBoy
Tue Jun 17 2008, 03:25PM
GeordieBoy Registered Member #1232 Joined: Wed Jan 16 2008, 10:53PM
By all means use type-26 for any application that you can get away with! smile Just watch out for any initial signs of heating because the organic binding material is susceptible to thermal degradation. This aging further increases core loss and can ultimately lead to thermal runaway.

You can increase inductance by stacking iron-powder cores, although keep in mind that this increases the volume of magnetic material in the field and therefore increases total core loss again. Micrometals design software is excellent for quickly assessing these tradeoffs although it does contain a few bugs.

Although the drain choke is designed to approximate a constant current source, "more inductance" isn't always better. I would specify the drain RFC to have a ripple of about +/-5% of the DC supply current at the chosen operating frequency. If you make the RFC too big you can run into problems with squegging and sub-harmonic oscillations in the power amplifier.

The inductance of the drain choke also plays a very important role in limiting how quickly you can modulate the PA in designs like this with high-level Amplitude Modulation. Too large an RFC will act too strongly to keep the drain current constant and will prevent rapid modulation of the amplitude of the RF output. The drain choke and power amplifier essentially form a series RL network from the point of view of the modulator, so the choice of L affects the bandwidth of the audio that can be modulated onto the carrier.

Type-2 could in theory be used at any frequency although you would need a lot of turns to get a useful inductor for operation in the kHz or Hz. Such a device would have high copper loss and be indicative that a better material choice should be made for more balanced copper vs core losses.

-Richie,
Reaching
Tue Jun 17 2008, 05:02PM
The primary is 4 turns with 6cm diameter and 1,5mm². i dont know the awg cause here in germany every wire thickness is given in "mm" or mm²"

the secondary is 5cm in diameter and 8 cm in height, wound with 0,5mm enameled copper wire.

for the bc546 you can use just any small signal npn transistor you have. it should stand up voltages up to 80v and currents of around 100mA, nothing special. you can use 60v types for sure
teslacoolguy
Fri Jun 20 2008, 02:47AM
What kind of heatsinking is needed for the mosfets?
Firefox
Sun Jun 22 2008, 05:25AM
Firefox Registered Member #1389 Joined: Thu Mar 13 2008, 12:50AM
I was trying to translate the writing on the schematic and there were only two things I couldn't understand on it, one was the description of the heatsink; Q5, Q6 mount on a good heatsink At least 3.2K/W?. What is the 3.2 K/W? Also, on C11, what does the description 4.7N 630V FKP1 mean? I assume its 4.7 nF 630V, but what is FKP? I hope my questions aren't too much trouble.
teslacoolguy
Sun Jun 22 2008, 05:28AM
Im using a very big heatsink but im having problems with the audio coming into the coil. The bias pots work but i dont get any audio modulation or breakout.
Reaching
Sun Jun 22 2008, 11:44AM
The coil is difficult to tune, so its out of question that you need some time to make things right. you´ll need some time to get the right resonant frequency.

my tip. use a long copper wire, around 10cm on top of your secondary. measure the voltage on drain of the first mosfet and adjust the pot for maximum output voltage. the first thing you have to do is to get the right frequency, otherwise its extremely difficult to get breakout.

put the copper wire on top of your secondary and watch out for the current being drawn on the 50v line. then cut the copper in say 1cm pieces and watch the current. it should get higher to around 1,5A-2A where you should get breakout.

the grounding of your secondary coil is another tricky part. in one of my circuits it was enough to ground it on the mains, but for some reason it can be better to connect the secondary ground to the circuit ground.

the complicated part in this circuit is to get breakout. when youve done you can adjust the bias pot to around 30v and then you can adjust the pot for the amplifier. thats it.

the circuit has no feedback or something else in cause of simplicity, so tuning the secondary to 4mhz is the tricky part.

the heatsink of 3,2k/W is a standartised formula for heat dissipation here in germany. it means that for a given dissipation of say 1watts into the heatsink the heatsink is getting 3,2kelvin warmer. for 10watts its 32kelvin or 32degree celsius.

try reversing the primary. that can help too. the primary coil is difficult too. i had best performance with the primary put 1,5cm above the first secondary winding

fkp1 is a pulse capacitor from a german capacitor facility. you just have to use a good cap here cause the whole current is floing through it. just use a good foil cap
hope that helps

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: