Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Spiral impulse generator = rolled cap Blumlein induction coil!

Move Thread LAN_403
Proud Mary
Tue Apr 22 2008, 10:12AM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Dr. Shark wrote ...

Harry wrote ...

Unfortunately, I don't have access to the full text, but the statement suggests the reason why some designs add some extra windings to the active fast line and not the passive slow line.
You do now, check your PMs.

Thank you so much Dr Shark! Its amazing that such a simple device wasn't discovered until the 1960s, and that professional scientists were still trying to explain how it works in this 2003 paper.

I like to have as much understanding as I can before I start on a project, because I've wasted so much time and money in the past on building things which didn't work properly because I didn't understand all the principles involved.
Dr. Shark
Tue Apr 22 2008, 10:26AM
Dr. Shark Registered Member #75 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:30AM
Harry, I completely agree with you, especially after I essentially wasted most of last night constructing a bit of a dud. I already edited my above post to reflect my latest ideas, but I'll repeat:
The only reference that claims an improved output with extra secondary turns is the 1984 patent Peter cited in his first post. This looks more like an ordinary transformer to me than a VIG, although the two are of course intimately interrelated. As I understand the VIG, there is a cycle of LC oscillation which reverses the voltage on the capacitor, so the energy has to be stored in the magnetic field as the voltage crosses zero. At this point, a voltage would be induced in the additional turns. Thus the "extended VIG" seems to be quite different from a normal VIG in its operating principle.

All other references I could find about VIGs just use a 1:1 turns ratio, so that is what I will try tonight. Rewinding my VIG is pretty straightforward, so I'll see if that helps and report back.
Proud Mary
Tue Apr 22 2008, 10:55AM
Having got the paper thanks to our friend Dr Shark, and seen the information on the D/n ratio in Table 1, I feel able to begin a modest proof of concept model.

I've decided to use 75mm aluminium adhesive tape for the lines, and a double thickness of 100mm adhesive insulating tape as the dielectric, with a bundle of ferrite rods as the core.

I have the ferrite rods, but will have to send off to ebay for the aluminium tape and the extra-wide insulating tape, so won't be able to do anything in a hurry.

I've not made my mind up on the switch, but suppose I will go for a self-igniting spark gap to start with, which should be OK with a 3kV charge voltage from a Bertrand PSU I have to hand. I will charge a reservoir capacitor first, and power the VIG from that after disconnecting the supply, as I see from various patents that the EMP from VIGs can destroy electronic equipment nearby, or to which it is coupled, so it seems to me to need its own separate low Z earth.

jpsmith123
Tue Apr 22 2008, 11:02AM
jpsmith123 Registered Member #1321 Joined: Sat Feb 16 2008, 03:22AM
Could someone please send me that paper by Rose et al.? Thanks.
Dago
Tue Apr 22 2008, 12:21PM
Dago Registered Member #538 Joined: Sun Feb 18 2007, 08:33PM
I'm interested in the discharge length, does anyone have equipment to measure such short pulses?
Dr. Shark
Tue Apr 22 2008, 01:05PM
Dr. Shark Registered Member #75 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:30AM
I would not count on the pulses being that short, after all there is considerable inductance in the circuit from coiling up the transmission line. In the papers I looked at the discharge in in the order of a microsecond, which is not what I would call short.
Proud Mary
Tue Apr 22 2008, 01:32PM
"The pulsewidth is equal to 2nt Ï„t where nt is the number of turns and Ï„t is the average one way propagation time for a single turn. If t = 0 represents the closing of the switch, the leading edge of the output pulse is delayed by an amount nt Ï„t which for many applications is unimportant."

Source: Fast risetime spiral pulse generator
United States Patent 4140917
Link2

For practical purposes, I would reckon on the real life pulse being perhaps twice as long as the theory.

The pulses are triangular, but they could always be sharpened with a spark gap if necessary.
Tesladownunder
Wed Apr 23 2008, 08:39AM
Tesladownunder Registered Member #10 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 09:45AM
I have built a beefier setup.
Specs
Output... bright 1/2 inch (1.25cm) sparks (perhaps 15kV)
Input..... 2.5kV peak. (ie 6 times voltage stepup) (NST 1/2 wave plus 1MOhm for testing).
Foil........ Equal length copper foils 4.5cm x 243cm plus lead in.
Former... 4.2 x 7cm. Ext diameter 6.2cm.
Turns..... Calculated 14 turns
Spark gap 1mm
Core...... Ferrrite E cores to fit in 4cm gap.
Cap....... 20 nF (prev one was 0.9nF)
Insul...... Polyethylene groundsheet

So a better result with more turns and area.
How long the dielectric lasts is unclear and also what increase in input voltage and power will it tolerate? Probably needs to be in oil for that.

TDU

1208939678 10 FT43795 Hvspiralv2running
Proud Mary
Wed Apr 23 2008, 10:04AM
Great stuff, TDU.

I have this morning sent off for 75mm adhesive aluminium tape and 100mm insulating tape from ebay suppliers, so I should have a rig of my own to report on in a week or ten days.

I must say how glad I am you dug this up, and gave us all the opportunity to learn something out of the ordinary.
Tesladownunder
Wed Apr 23 2008, 10:38AM
Tesladownunder Registered Member #10 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 09:45AM
It's interesting to go down a new path. I've often wondered about impulse transformers although I guess this is only just one type.
This new version seems to have scaled in spark brightness consistent with 20 times the capacitance and also scaled in output spark length 8mm to 12 mm consistent with the increased turns from 9 to 14. Construction type was similar and dielectric and input voltage were unchanged.
The capacitor holds its charge well and if discharged with a chicken stick giving a reasonable "zap", will give an output spark as well.
I suspect that for high repetition rates, the use of a multiple segment gap would prevent power arcing.
I also suspect from my experience with TEA nitrogen lasers that the spark gap type and position is critical. The use of a gap with two cylindrical electrodes in continuity with each conductor strip and covering the full width should present the lowest inductance.
As it is, I suspect it could be driven much harder than just a few pulses per second, but I am not ready to break it yet.

TDU

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: