Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Chatting
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Anyone else here have a hard time watching mythbusters?

Move Thread LAN_403
Dave Marshall
Tue Feb 26 2008, 04:21PM
Dave Marshall Registered Member #16 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 02:22PM
I'm definitely the "yelling at the TV" sort, though I do so with the full understanding that its just entertainment. Yelling is half the fun!

This sort of stuff is ubiquitous on TV any more. From those TAPS goofs on "Ghost Hunter" that claim a fuse box can "leak" EM radiation (no kidding, he claimed that electrical wiring should not have a measurable magnetic field around it), to House claiming that microwaves cause cancer/cure cancer/induce orgasms/whatever , to the mythbusters saying that talking to plants can help them grow.

Some of it is more laughable than others. That being said, the Mythbusters have gotten some pretty tough myths right over the years. I have to say that even *I* was scratching my head trying to reason my way through the Airplane on a Treadmill myth.

I'm with EVR on this one though. Kari makes it worth watching, even on the worst episodes :)

BTW, Tesladownunder, there are atleast 2 34KJ capacitor banks in the hands of 4HV members. You probably have some of the more spectacular results, but you aren't the biggest!

Dave
HV Enthusiast
Tue Feb 26 2008, 05:48PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
If you want real science, then check out that old Mr. Wizard show from Nickelodeon from the 1980's. Nothing super spectacular, but definitely a worthwhile show.

And yeah, definitely the reason i don't even like those blockbuster movies anymore - they are just so scientifically implausible. (i.e Armageddon, Day After, etc...)

At least movies like Alien, Pitch Black, etc... are somewhat believable, although they do have their scientific errors as well.

Of course, i can't seem to understand why the Star Trek Enterprise will jolt from a incoming phasor fire, yet will not budge an inch when accelerating from 0 to warp nine bazillion.
teslacoolguy
Tue Feb 26 2008, 06:17PM
teslacoolguy Registered Member #1107 Joined: Thu Nov 08 2007, 10:09PM
If you want real science, then check out that old Mr. Wizard show from Nickelodeon from the 1980's. Nothing super spectacular, but definitely a worthwhile show.
my uncle who also has built some coils used to watch that show and this one episode he was talking about had you hold a vacume cleaner up to a tv picturetube and it will demagnatize it so he tryed it and it left a big green spot were the vacume was. it was sooo funny how he told me and he even had a picture if it but yea i would love to watch that show myself.
Noelle
Tue Feb 26 2008, 09:50PM
Noelle Napoleonic Powermonger
Registered Member #2 Joined: Thu Jan 26 2006, 05:10AM
Mr Wizard was an awesome show, I used to watch it every morning at 5am before school when I was young.
Tesladownunder
Tue Feb 26 2008, 11:40PM
Tesladownunder Registered Member #10 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 09:45AM
Noelle wrote ...

Mr Wizard was an awesome show, I used to watch it every morning at 5am before school when I was young.
Noelle, a rare visit. 5am for school sounds pretty early. Of course, when I was young I would get up before I even went to bed...

Dave Marshall wrote ...

BTW, Tesladownunder, there are atleast 2 34KJ capacitor banks in the hands of 4HV members....
Is it a secret who has this arsenal or what they do with it?
I have just completed my MOT charger for my cap bank along with remote metering, also extra busbar for intercap earthing. This will allow me to go to rated power of 16kJ. I have only ever gone to 5kJ or so before for a variety of reasons - too scared, too noisy for neighbours, inadequate charger. But I now have a trailer and a generator to take it away from home and I am getting bolder. Also have plans for lots of new effects.
Someone offered me 30kJ of new Maxwells for $5,000 a few days ago. Thought I should probably keep sending my kids to school rather than buying it though, sadly.

EastVoltResearch wrote ...

Assuming that formula is not viable these days due to it being not dynamic enough or flashy (or dare I say not appealing to a dumbed down modern audience) then what sort of show format would appeal to you (and your family, parents teenagers and non technical audience). Get some really good ideas forward and I might be able to pitch it to Creative Differences if it is something I could do or be involved in.

TDU
Noelle
Wed Feb 27 2008, 12:43AM
Noelle Napoleonic Powermonger
Registered Member #2 Joined: Thu Jan 26 2006, 05:10AM
Tesladownunder wrote ...

Noelle, a rare visit. 5am for school sounds pretty early. Of course, when I was young I would get up before I even went to bed...

Once in a while I descend from my lofty heights to grace the masses with my presence. wink

School wasn't at 5am, it was at 8am. I just got up really early. Kids don't seem to need much sleep.
Chris Russell
Wed Feb 27 2008, 07:59AM
Chris Russell ... not Russel!
Registered Member #1 Joined: Thu Jan 26 2006, 12:18AM
EastVoltResearch wrote ...

Of course, i can't seem to understand why the Star Trek Enterprise will jolt from a incoming phasor fire, yet will not budge an inch when accelerating from 0 to warp nine bazillion.

I can usually talk myself out of that by saying "oh, well, the inertial dampeners work on the warp drive/impulse engines because the direction of acceleration is known in advance, but not as well on weapons fire because it's not expected" or something to that effect. Not very good, but enough to shut up the critical part of my brain long enough to enjoy the show. What I don't get is why the control panels are always exploding or catching on fire. They really need to get some circuit breakers installed in that ship before OSHA finds out!

Did they say it was a Geiger counter? Or did it just look like a Geiger counter?

I ask, because we have lots of E-field and H-field sniffers which look very similar to Geiger counters, although they don't sound like Geiger counters.

Never explicitly said, but I am certain it was a CDV-700 or something damn close. And they were definitely using the Geiger counter sound. Bringing it near light switches and wiring caused all sorts of clicking. Very silly stuff.
EDY19
Wed Feb 27 2008, 06:33PM
EDY19 Registered Member #105 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:54PM
Just thought I would mention that I actually went to one of the demonstrations/talk sessions that the Mythbusters did in Traverse City, Michigan (My home town)-I actually got to personally meet both Adam and Jamie smile Although not everything (okay, probably less than half tongue) is not scientifically accurate, I think that we can all say that any explosion is fun to watch, and while the science may not be spectacular, it is good TV and it is fun to watch as long as you keep in mind it is 95% for entertainment value only. I always enjoy the part of the program where they try to replicate the myth, or go completely overboard, such as the episode when they filled a cement truck with high explosives. I don't think that anyone will disagree that the explosion was quite awesome! cheesey
Simon
Thu Feb 28 2008, 12:57AM
Simon Registered Member #32 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 08:58AM
Pop media is full of inaccuracies. Most of the physics stuff doesn't bother me much (I don't yell, "That hollow earth idea is flawed! Gauss' theorem shows they should be weightless!") but I admit some romanticised computer stuff almost makes me cry ("OMG! The firewall is under attack! ... It can't take it much longer! ... Oh no! The firewall is down; they've got the technocore surrounded!")

That stuff aside, what really gets me is the pseudo-science. I think it's great that the Mythbusters team gets up and actually tests things out - and who cares if their secondary aim is just to blow things up? I just hate it when they misrepresent science. Even if they don't go all technical, they should at least try to be accurate so they don't give people the wrong idea.
asabase
Thu Feb 28 2008, 01:10AM
asabase Registered Member #1360 Joined: Thu Feb 28 2008, 12:55AM
Mythbusters isn't nearly as bad as the new show called "Smash Labs." At least with Mythbusters they do episodes to revisit myths the viewers complained they messed up.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: