Zajcek (37)
ElectroDog (33)
sportcoupe (56)

Next birthdays
04/30 BlakFyre (36)
04/30 SENTRY (31)
05/01 Shaun (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Small Tesla Coil using disposable camera transformers

Move Thread LAN_403
flannelhead
Mon Apr 14 2008, 10:12AM
flannelhead Registered Member #952 Joined: Mon Aug 13 2007, 11:07AM
First, it should be really easy to get disposable cameras (I prefer Fujifilm; they have got simpler circuit that kodaks for example)

I took a look at my transformers. They seem to have a single ~4 turn primary, so good guess for secondary turns could be ~800 turns (really thin wire <0.1mm)

Link2 Take a look at that circuit and you will notice that the feedback winding is in series with the secondary. It's a little different from the joule thief circuit.
Chris Cristini
Tue Oct 14 2008, 04:37PM
Chris Cristini Registered Member #1749 Joined: Fri Oct 10 2008, 02:04AM
That is cool maybe make the secondary smaller by using a Bic pen tube and build a cool case might be something u could sell to beginners.
flannelhead
Wed Oct 15 2008, 07:17AM
Yep, I have been planning to make a revision of this little coil. I've been thinking to run it of a 9V rechargeable, but haven't yet managed to get a suitable ferrite core to wind my own transformer.
Firefox
Wed Oct 15 2008, 09:32PM
Firefox Registered Member #1389 Joined: Thu Mar 13 2008, 12:50AM
The transformers from old computer PSUs work well, Uzzors and several others have wound flybacks on them. Also, any electronic device you find likely has one in it. Most CRT TVs and monitors have at least one or two, along with the main flyback, and I've found a few monitors with five or six small transformers in them.
Chris Cristini
Thu Oct 16 2008, 03:46PM
Chris Cristini Registered Member #1749 Joined: Fri Oct 10 2008, 02:04AM
yea me to there is endless possibility's when it comes to TV,s and transformers.
Firefox
Sat Oct 18 2008, 03:43AM
By the way, Dr. 2N3055, I never posted this, but my first TC was based off your design, using instead a D cell battery and a 22 stage CW multiplier with a 1nF home rolled overhead cap. It worked excellently, giving off up to a 1 inch streamer and about 3-4" of corona. I could fill a light bulb with streamers. Secondary ended up with an Fres of about 2MHz.
flannelhead
Sat Oct 18 2008, 02:03PM
Firefox wrote ...

By the way, Dr. 2N3055, I never posted this, but my first TC was based off your design, using instead a D cell battery and a 22 stage CW multiplier with a 1nF home rolled overhead cap. It worked excellently, giving off up to a 1 inch streamer and about 3-4" of corona. I could fill a light bulb with streamers. Secondary ended up with an Fres of about 2MHz.
Nice! Do you have any pics, you could post them here! smile Let's see what kind of results I will get from the revised coil (not coming very soon.)
Firefox
Sun Oct 19 2008, 06:59AM
I will get those pictures for you... eventually, Dr. Unfortunently, the PSU has since gone south for the winter (I need to replace four burned out diodes), the cap has died, and the coil is at home, while I am at college. While I can certainly get the cap built and PSU repaired, I will have to wait until thanksgiving break to repair the coil itself. I also, believe it or not, got those results with PVC coated 26 gauge wire, 266 turns on a 1.5"*9" former if I recall correctly.
fatboyslim
Sat Oct 25 2008, 11:15AM
fatboyslim Registered Member #1779 Joined: Sat Oct 25 2008, 11:05AM
What happens if your camera circuit has two diodes. Which one do you take off and can you include a schematic to how you wired it. And also do i just connect only one wire on the circuit as the 660volt line. Also is the 660volts from only one circuit or two. Im really eager to build this and im just a bit confused. Ive built a larger tesla coil before and have always wanted to make a small battery one which can sit on my desk. Help would be much appreciated
flannelhead
Sat Oct 25 2008, 02:37PM
The diode you take off should be the one which has one end connected to the main transformer (the bigger one). Yes, the '660V line' is only one wire, as the voltage is generated against ground. The 660 volts is from one circuit as I drove it from 3V instead of 1.5V.

Sorry, the tutorial really is a bit confusing, as I look at it afterwards. Basically the thing you want to do is just to find the high voltage AC output from the transformer. This can be found by locating the diode which has its other end connected to the transformer. The point where it connects to the transformer is your HV out, just remember to remove the diode! Then build a Cockroft Walton multiplier as shown here and connect your HV out and the ground to it. Remember to put a limiting resistor to the CW output. The rest is just like building any DC Tesla Coil.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: