Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Red Alert Tesla project

Move Thread LAN_403
Steve Conner
Mon Oct 01 2007, 10:48AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
I have to say that I agree with everyone's comments on this thread to some extent. Like all of TDU's recent Tesla demos, this looks to me like a carefully calculated PR stunt that has absolutely nothing to do with the actual science of Tesla coils. It deliberately misrepresents what Tesla coils are capable of doing in order to get more page views.

However, I don't have a problem with that. It'll make millions of noobs squeal "OMG How U Do That" and be happy, and maybe make science more interesting, and how can that be bad?

TDU, if you wanted to address Reaching's point, you might like to make it painfully clear in the first post and/or thread title that this is just a display replica of the Red Alert Tesla weapon and isn't actually a real usable weapon.

I know it sounds like stating the obvious, but we live in a world where your kid's Superman fancy dress outfit comes with a disclaimer sewn into it stating "Costume does not enable wearer to fly"

Another way of addressing these points would be to replace your current fishing line setup with a Taser-type mechanism, so it actually did work as a weapon wink
Tesladownunder
Mon Oct 01 2007, 10:53AM
Tesladownunder Registered Member #10 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 09:45AM
Steve Conner wrote ...

I have to say that I agree with everyone's comments on this thread to some extent. Like all of TDU's recent Tesla demos, this looks to me like a carefully calculated PR stunt that has absolutely nothing to do with the actual science of Tesla coils. It deliberately misrepresents what Tesla coils are capable of doing in order to get more page views.
TDU, if you wanted to address Reaching's point, you might like to make it painfully clear in the first post and/or thread title that this is just a display replica of the Red Alert Tesla weapon and isn't actually a real usable weapon.
We all misrepresent Tesla coils when we do an exposure over 1/30 sec or choose the longest or most impressive arc. Just because a cosmic ray event happened just then, does not mean this is standard performance.

It is interesting how my photos seem to polarize some HV viewers. Personally, I like seeing new stuff that pushes the boundaries. I like the hard science but can also appreciate the aesthetics. Some feel that art degrades the science but I believe it has a definite place. There is a lot of good science out there that has missed out on just one decent photo. To try to convey in formulae, the beauty of sparks or lasers for example really seems to lack something.

To regard my stuff as devoid of science is a bit unkind. Sure I am after the page views from Joe Public but other people are interested in this stuff. Sure everyone focuses on "stupid" comments from people with limited understanding. Children have limited understanding and social skills too but we don't think they are stupid.

I receive a lot of emails from people magnitudes cleverer than me like a Nobel Laureat in Physics. Or a neurosurgeon inventor with an engineering degree. That makes up for a lot of noobs.
They didn't write to get formulae off me but they appreciate how science has been used to make the art.

TDU (carefully calculating PR stuntman - I like that)

Firnagzen wrote ...

.... By the way, why are you modelling a tesla trooper? If I remember correctly, they were immune to tesla coils.
The Tesla Trooper was a Soviet Unit that you could get to stand next to the Tesla coil to increase it's range. Put 6 Troopers next to one and you had a very powerful long range defence indeed.
My wife would still be playing this game if it would run on her current computer.
Steve Conner wrote ...

... Another way of addressing these points would be to replace your current fishing line setup with a Taser-type mechanism, so it actually did work as a weapon wink
In fact with the last photo, the nylon line melted sending the wire flying towards me. I had anticipated this might happen and knew that I was safe as the gap was too great and it was only an earth line. Nevertheless a little breathtaking to see a sparking line coming directly towards you while perched on a ladder.

TDU
Zum Beispiel
Mon Oct 01 2007, 11:42AM
Zum Beispiel Registered Member #514 Joined: Sun Feb 11 2007, 12:27AM
I really don't see the problem in this. Who cares if it's not real? It has been stated over and over that this is a trick, so if someone still thinks TDU built a "omgtesladeathray", well, damn.

So what if the purpose of this project is to attract as many views as possible? What is the point of actually making anything like this if you can't share it with others?

In the movie "Eraser" Arnold Schwarzenegger had a railgun that shot alumium projectiles at the speed of light. Was it scientific? No. Was it entertaining? Yes.

TDU, your work never seizes to amaze me. I really respect that whole "no photoshopping" thing too.

Keep up the good work!
philstesla
Mon Oct 01 2007, 12:22PM
philstesla Registered Member #990 Joined: Sat Sept 08 2007, 05:44PM
As a newbie to this forum, I think it's very refreshing to see someone using a great deal of ingenuity to show how popular hoax images are generated, and then explain the methodology behind them.

I really liked the supposed B*ll lightning thread for the same reason. A captivating image, followed by rational, scientific explanation.

I don't know whether exploding scientific myths and hoaxes is part of the remit of this forum, but it certainly seems to be a worth goal.

Coronafix
Mon Oct 01 2007, 12:51PM
Coronafix Registered Member #160 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 02:07AM
TDU, your trooper is made of metal. Won't that attract the spark?
Sulaiman
Mon Oct 01 2007, 12:56PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
One last thought from me on this topic;

As far as I'm aware, Nikola Tesla tried his best to PREVENT arcs and sparks on his coils !
Except for showmanship / publicity.
He was mainly interested in the wireless transmission of electrical power
which requires extremely high voltages at high frequency WITHOUT wasteful arcs and sparks.

So, anyone who uses a TC for the purpose of deliberately producing arcs/sparks is perverting his work !
ragnar
Mon Oct 01 2007, 01:05PM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
Goldsphere wrote ...

In the RA2 game the "Tesla troopers" if not attacking enemy units, can stand near soviet Tesla coils to run them if base power is down, and it increases the strike damage a bit, too.

..."commencing shock therapy"... wink
Tesladownunder
Mon Oct 01 2007, 01:15PM
Tesladownunder Registered Member #10 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 09:45AM
Goldsphere wrote ...

It would normally, but don't forget I am only making 3 foot sparks between pointy bits of wire. I could have the Tesla Trooper closer than that to the bottom of the smooth toroid with no problems. In fact in the game, there are sparks from the Trooper to the TC. I can arrange that in the exposure at a small cost in increased complexity of the shoot.

A lot is already happening in 20 seconds with me pulling the wire out in a controlled manner. I will have family do the camera, the video and the variac each.

Still lots to plan and design yet. Need a Soviet flag too.

TDU
ragnar
Mon Oct 01 2007, 01:38PM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
I've actually got a smallish soviet flag I could lend you. Well, I don't know how soviet you'd consider it, but it's proper red fabric with a yellow hammer and sickle I stitched on.

..."extra crispy"...
thedatastream
Mon Oct 01 2007, 03:03PM
thedatastream Registered Member #505 Joined: Sun Nov 19 2006, 06:42PM
For reference: Link2

Tesla Trooper
-------------
Select:
- Tesla suit ready!
- Charging up.
- Electrodes ready!
- Checking connection.
- Yes comrade.
Move:
- Going to source.
- Moving out.
- Yes comrade.
- Surging forward.
- Electrician in the field.
- Rubber shoes in motion.
Attack:
- 2,000 volts coming up.
- He's fried.
- Completing circuit.
- Let the juice flow.
- Commencing Shock therapy.
Fear:
- Ground yourselves!
- Reinforcements!
- I'm hit!

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: