Zajcek (37)
ElectroDog (33)
sportcoupe (56)

Next birthdays
04/30 BlakFyre (36)
04/30 SENTRY (31)
05/01 Shaun (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Plastic Polystyrene Plate High Voltage Capacitors

Move Thread LAN_403
ScotchTapeLord
Wed Sept 08 2010, 03:12AM
ScotchTapeLord Registered Member #1875 Joined: Sun Dec 21 2008, 06:36PM
True. I guess a clamp is a pretty good idea, now that I think about it... or at least some rubber bands. I'm totally buying some disposable plates tomorrow and trying this out. This was a good thread to resurrect. Maybe I'll put a few under oil and make a bank! It'll be bigger than a normal mmc but saving half a grand on capacitors is well worth it!
Adam Munich
Wed Sept 08 2010, 03:23AM
Adam Munich Registered Member #2893 Joined: Tue Jun 01 2010, 09:25PM
You should use aluminum stock and bolts. Iron could cause losses.
Muttyfutty!
Wed Sept 08 2010, 03:38AM
Muttyfutty! Registered Member #2915 Joined: Fri Jun 11 2010, 10:41AM
Please ignore this post...
klugesmith
Wed Sept 08 2010, 04:07AM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
HM_Murdock wrote ...
... If I place weight on top of the plates, the capacitance goes up proportionately. At around 10 lbs it goes up to 8nF, and with about 30 lbs, I show 13.9nF.

I see where Mike used wood glue, so I am thinking of doing something similar with weight applied to effectively remove air and glue it all compacted. With enough weight and some extra glue/sealant, I think it might seal the edges of the plates and also help stop flashovers. My plan is to use this instead of a saltwater bottle cap for my TC.

So, two questions...
1- Will this work?
2 - What would be the best thing to use in this application...silicone, RTV, wood glue, gorilla glue, epoxy...etc...
You want the stack thickness to be small (for high C) and uniform (so every bit of dielectric is doing its fair share of energy storage).

If you use a glue that sets without evaporation or exposure to air
(e.g. mixed epoxy -- maybe even low viscosity stuff sold as paint),
consider vacuum bagging as an alternative to weights or clamps.
With a plastic bread bag, you could squeeze your stack of plates with many hundreds of pounds of force.

An alternative, that could maintain pressure on a dry stack of plates and foil,
would be hard flat disks (e.g. 1/2 inch thick plastic or high grade plywood) with multiple C-clamps.
The clamps would have little effect on HF electrical performance, if they are well enough insulated.
(top and bottom foil layers should be on the same electrical terminal).
Mike
Wed Sept 08 2010, 04:15AM
Mike Registered Member #58 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:40AM
I like the ideas, a clamp or vaccum bag sounds especially neat. Ensure you don't short out the cap with the clamp you use though.

HM Murdoch keep me posted on this as I have not had time to do more research on these guys but they seem to be really great.

good luck
HM_Murdock
Wed Sept 08 2010, 01:36PM
HM_Murdock Registered Member #3075 Joined: Fri Aug 06 2010, 02:44PM
+1 on the clamps idea...

I like the idea of using 2 disks of plywood and either 1 big C-clamp or maybe 2 smaller ones...I am thinking using a few wraps of electrical tape on the clamp will help to keep it from arcing out. I wonder if I shoudl also wrap the sides of the plates in tape to help with arcovers?

The plates are only 6" across, so the wood disks could be cut using my 4.5" hole saw I used for my primary coil mounting board.

The big plus to using the clamp method is I should be able to dial in the C I want from the stack...possibly even fine-tuning it a bit.

I like this idea...if it works, it's less than $3 in materials, and can be re-made in about 30 minutes. It's also not all that bulky, and no messy no liquids or oils involved...I just wonder how much power it can stand up to...I suspect it will be ok with my 9kV/30mA NST...will have to see. Will report back on my findings (hopefully) later tonight.
ScotchTapeLord
Wed Sept 08 2010, 03:01PM
ScotchTapeLord Registered Member #1875 Joined: Sun Dec 21 2008, 06:36PM
HM_Murdock wrote ...

The big plus to using the clamp method is I should be able to dial in the C I want from the stack...possibly even fine-tuning it a bit.

DIY varicap! Hmmm... this is getting interesting.
Mike
Wed Sept 08 2010, 04:30PM
Mike Registered Member #58 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:40AM
From my limited testing, I got it to around 20kV with no problems I'd say, so the NST should be fine. It really all depends on the plates you use. As long as they are the right material, thickness, and good edge rims to prevent arcing it should work well.

Something I've been wanting to see is how well they perform under oil. I imagine you could put quite a bit of power into them under oil with no problems.
HM_Murdock
Wed Sept 08 2010, 09:57PM
HM_Murdock Registered Member #3075 Joined: Fri Aug 06 2010, 02:44PM
Ok boys and girls...

The concept works.

Stats:

9kV/30mA Franceformer NST
Twenty 6" Kroger store brand plastic plates
Regular "heavy duty" aluminum foil interleaved
two 4 1/2" pieces of MDF
one 4" deep C-clamp

Seems the most I can get from this (with plenty of pressure with the clamp) is 19.55nF

Reducing clamp pressure results in variable C, and I was easily able to dial in 14.5nF.

Will test with my spark gap in a bit and post results...but so far, I believe this is going to work out nicely.
1283982985 3075 FT3087 100 1002
Adam Munich
Wed Sept 08 2010, 10:09PM
Adam Munich Registered Member #2893 Joined: Tue Jun 01 2010, 09:25PM
It looks good. With the overhang of the plates flashover shouldn't be a problem. I'm more concerned with the voltage punching through the plates. Polystyrene has a dielectric strength of only 15mV/meter. I'm not sure how thick your plates are. Measure that with a caliper and you should be able to figure out their maximum voltage.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: