Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

CCPS (Capacitor Charging Power Supply)

Move Thread LAN_403
Finn Hammer
Sun Sept 02 2007, 08:03PM
Finn Hammer Registered Member #205 Joined: Sat Feb 18 2006, 11:59AM
All,

Daniel and I have a problem understanding the relationship btwn. frequency and power transfer in the CCPS:

In this paper:
Link2
and this:
Link2

Well, same authors!

The transfer of energy is calculated as:

P = Fres * 0,5 * C * (2V)^2

4 times the energy stored in the resonant cap, per cycle.

Can anyone explain why it is 4 times the energy stored in the cap, and not just one times the energy stored in that cap?

We know it is true, because it is consistent with Microsim simulations.

Cheers Finn Hammer
Finn Hammer
Wed Sept 05 2007, 07:38PM
Insight is slowly trickling in, and I now realise, that it was probably wrong to assume up to 2kW into the jacobs ladder we made the other weekend.
Point is, the supply delivers constant _current_ into a load, so if this load is a low resistance, which I think a Jacobs ladder arc is, then the current is delivered into a low potential, and therefore the delivered power is also low.

Anyone know the resistance of a jacob ladder arc?

This weekend, we would like to test the supply under power, and we would like to do so into a resistive load.
Since we are expecting something in the vicinity of 15-20kW a water resitor comes to mind. A big barrell with salt water and copper electrodes would allow power measurements to be done with temperature rise as the calibration.

But which resistance will mirror the condition of the supply topping up, into a capacitor with 8kV on it?

Able to deliver 4 amps into the load, at a maximum voltage of 8kV, my shot at it is, that the resistor must be not over R=E/I 8000/4=2k. A little lower, really, to keep the load from rising to a voltage over the reach of the supply.

Does this sound reasonable?

Cheers, Finn Hammer
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Wed Sept 05 2007, 07:45PM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
Take some time to do a short circuit and open circuit test on the transformer, then go to the 4hv wiki under electronics and do the transformer analysis. That will give you the extracted elements of the transformer so you can model your problem.

You can find the impedance of the arc from the reflected load on the transformer. Essentially its short circuit at this point so you need to know the equivalent series secondary resistance at this point, but the transformer calculations will help with that.
Steve Ward
Wed Sept 05 2007, 08:52PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Finn, i think your 2k ohm load is the correct value (or at least pretty close) for doing a high power measurement. Keep in mind that this is more stressful than charging a cap, since when you charge a cap the average output power is 1/2 the peak output power when topping off the cap.

As to the jacobs ladder, why not just measure the voltage across the arc? I think it was in the few kV range for me (maybe 2kV).
Steve Conner
Wed Sept 05 2007, 10:44PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
I always wondered about the resistance of a Jacobs ladder. The maximum power transfer theorem says that you should be able to stretch an arc until it's pulling as much power as your supply can give. When it hits the maximum power point, it becomes unstable and goes out. That's what I believe anyway.
Steve Ward
Thu Sept 06 2007, 03:38AM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Steve,

That is what i have measured in the past, but the voltage required to sustain longer growing sparks seems to go up with the square of the arc length (this is purely "by eye" type of measurement). In anycase, the voltage drop across the arc climbs steeply just before it breaks. It may present a load thats not too far off from charging a cap.
Daniel Uhrenholt
Thu Sept 06 2007, 02:31PM
Daniel Uhrenholt Registered Member #125 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 01:52PM
Hi Finn.

I have to admit that I think a Jacobs’s ladder is the way to go with our measurements at the moment.
But let’s see what weekend brings…

After some hard days with a lot of overtime at my place of
work, I managed to calculate a bit more on how many Jules/sec we can deliver with our CCPS as it is now.

Last time we had a Jacob’s ladder on the supply, we had 400Vdc on the bridge. And with the transformers in parallel, we has 136nF in the tank and a Fo about 92kHz.
That gives about 4000 J/sec, but if we get the supply on three phase and 560Vdc in the bridge, we should get up to 7800 J/sec… That’s almost twice the energy!!!

We need more C or a higher Fo smile

I can’t prove that my calculations are correct, because my differential probe and my other probes are at your place frown

Cheers, Daniel
Finn Hammer
Sat Sept 08 2007, 08:00PM
All,

Today, scoping across the IGBT`s suggested that we`d probably better make us a low inductance bus:

1189280534 205 FT30311 Lowindbus

Not that it solved our problems, because the whole thing still rings like the liberty bell:
TEK TDS2014, Metratek MX9003 diff probe, stock probe on low side gate.

(Yellow trace is voltage across a low side IGBT, blue is gate.)

1189280609 205 FT30311 Ringing1

We read up on RCD snubbers, and placed 1 across the buss between the lytics and the first IGBT.
The snubber consists of a 150nF CD942 cap, an IXYS DSEI 60-06A fast diode and a 1.5ohms resistor.
This brought os to this situation:

1189280756 205 FT30311 Ringing2

We then placed 2 more snubbers on the bus:
(The one to the left is the midle one, the 3rd is off the picture to the left.)

1189280798 205 FT30311 Rcdsnubbers

This resulted in this ringing waveform:

1189280889 205 FT30311 Ringing3

These shots are at really low voltages, we forgot to record the voltage, but below 50V.

When we turn the voltage up higher, the overshoot begins to climb up to over 50%, which is worrying, because it will correspond to more than 900V at 560V on the bus.

What?s left to do? Transorbs? Can we calculate the power in these overshots, so that we can also get an idea of how many tranzorbs we need?

Cheers, Finn & Daniel
Finn Hammer
Sun Sept 09 2007, 09:11AM
All,

If you will all have me excused for double posting, but I think everybody interested in H-bridge design should see this.

As you all know, the gate waveform is regularly displayed with great pride, "the squarer the better" seems to be the rule of the day.

But what about the voltage across swiching devices? We have just seen what ringing it can lead to.

Here are the waveforms showing Current in green, Voltage in blue and gate waveform (yellow), with a 22ohm gate resistor
1189328318 205 FT30311 Cleanbuss1

Nice and calm, and the gate driver is happy, gate resistor is hot (2W) even the main IGBT`s are swallower.

Here is a shot at 250nS to show the calm voltage frontedge at 150V bus,

1189328597 205 FT30311 Cleanbuss

So with the new gate resistors in situ, the low inductance buss and the snubbers really came to play in harmony.
Looks like we are ready to ramp the voltage up to max, now.
Not today, though. There is an open house arrangement at the regional electricity plant, won`t miss that!

Cheers, Finn & Daniel
Steve Conner
Sun Sept 09 2007, 10:20AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Hi Finn & Daniel,

As far as I know, you are right. The answer to gate drive is not always "As fast as you can". You have to experiment to find out what is right for your system. I have built some (much smaller) DC-DC converters, and I spent a day fiddling with gate resistors and resistor-diode networks until I found the values that made the MOSFETs run coolest.

I'm also playing with those white Semikron IGBTs, and I've also noticed some fairly serious ringing on the bus even at low DC bus voltages. Maybe they are really fast suprised

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: