Alfons (36)
Coronafix (51)
AmonRa (44)

Next birthdays
05/11 ramses (16)
05/11 Arcstarter (31)
05/11 Zak (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

20KW DRSSTC

Move Thread LAN_403
Mike
Thu Mar 29 2007, 11:13PM
Mike Registered Member #58 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:40AM
Wow , very cool coil.

Eat your heart out Steve Ward!!! :P
Just kidding, but I think it is time for a tesla arc war!
Finn Hammer
Fri Mar 30 2007, 06:12AM
Finn Hammer Registered Member #205 Joined: Sat Feb 18 2006, 11:59AM
hvguy wrote ...

I am currently redesigning the full bridge mechanical layout. I think the design I have come up with is about as low inductance as is humanly, or mechanically, possible. I will post an update with pictures and test results later today.

And from an angle, where we can see that novel gate transformer?

Cheers, Finn Hammer
hvguy
Fri Mar 30 2007, 07:47AM
hvguy Registered Member #289 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 10:45AM
I have spent most of the day experimenting with various snubbers trying to find the best solution for the new bridge assembly. Here’s what I came up with:

Link2

Not shown in this schematic are four parallel 20nF 1KV ceramic disc caps placed rail to rail on each half bridge section. All my testing was done with a buss voltage of 170V at about 2.3KW. With this snubber design I was able to reduce my transients to about 1.5X the rail. This is just fine by me as the most input voltage I had planned to run was 800V and these are 1.7KV parts; that’s 500V head room. The TVS strings are designed to begin conducting at ~1250V and clamp at ~1550V, just in case a spike does make in though the snubber. I’d still rather nuke a string of TVSs than an IGBT. Here are a few scope shots:

No snubber: Link2
Snubber: Link2

And, Finn, here is the GDT. The core has a 1.5” ID, primary is .125” flat Teflon wire secondary is 600V 14ga PVC. Nothing special really. Although I would HIGHY recommend anyone duplicating this shield the primary from the secondary, it will eliminate noise feedback though all the various capacitances in the gate driver.

Link2
Link2

Just check out this folder for all the new bridge pics:

Link2

I will set up for some high power testing either tomorrow or next week. There’s a hamfest in Raleigh this weekend... cheesey
Steve Conner
Fri Mar 30 2007, 10:40AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Yay, that new bridge looks great! BTW, about shielding in gate drive transformers: on my last coil I made the GDT primaries from 1/8" miniature coax (RG-174 or whatever it's called) and grounded the braid at one end to act as a Faraday shield. The secondaries were just ordinary PVC insulated wire: I taped two wires together with the coax to make a bundle.
Marko
Fri Mar 30 2007, 11:59AM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
The bridge looks just.. awesome suprised
Beautiful low inductance design.

And those bricks can actually be unscrewed and opened just so easily.. they aren't actually hermetically sealed?

Steve Ward
Fri Mar 30 2007, 03:37PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
And those bricks can actually be unscrewed and opened just so easily.. they aren't actually hermetically sealed?

Yep. I have some CM300s like that, where i opened them to disable the "real time current limiter" for tesla use wink. Just have to be *damn* sure you snip the right bonding wire!

Aron, your snubber is now a capacitor on the output of the bridge? Interesting... i tried that too (small C of course), and it seemed to make things worse, as its in effect increasing the parasitic C of the CE junction. My thought at the time was that it would slow down the ringing, allowing the main snubber to be more effective (didnt quite work out). I havent run the calculations, but be sure not to exceed the current rating of the little cap (it will surely see some very high peak currents). But, your waveforms certainly do look better. I also like the bridge layout smile.

Something crossed my mind... what is the current rating on those electrolytics? Seems like an awful lot of power for those things!
hvguy
Fri Mar 30 2007, 05:55PM
Ya, I’m pretty happy with this design. As low L as possible and a little more space in my enclosure, plus I had all the materials on hand so it went together quickly.

Steve C. it’s funny you mention that. When I first realized a shielded primary was necessary I tried RG-174 in that exact configuration. The results were excellent but I needed bigger coax to accommodate the ~35A pk primary current. RG-58 worked well…

That’s a good question Steve. I have not been able to find data on these caps so I don't know the current rating. Chances are I would be exceeding it anyway. The good news is I pulled them from a 50KVA VFD. I would assume they can handle this type of operation having been installed a drive that large. Also, after running for several hours at ~2.5KVA (1.2KA pk on the pri) they were only slightly warm.

Yep, my snubber is nothing more than a cap on the low side IGBT. At first I assumed this would make things worse, and in fact, it did. Then I rebuilt the bridge and all the noise except the ~1.5MHz spike at turn off was gone. I though I’d give the CE cap another try since there was almost no L for it to ring with the new design. There is some ringing cause by the cap, but the amplitude is only 10% higher than the rail, much better than the 2.3X with out the cap.

The noise currents though the cap are high. With the tank at 1.2KA and the rail at 170V the peak current though that cap was 200A. This is definitely a lot of current, but the noise is so fast that the pulse falls within the datasheet spec for pulse current and the 1.6KV .22uF CDE film caps showed know heating after several hours of run time.
Tom540
Fri Mar 30 2007, 08:53PM
Tom540 Banned on 3/17/2009.
Registered Member #487 Joined: Sun Jul 09 2006, 01:22AM
Well Elgar wasnt much help but I did find something interesting on an old schematic for a 10KW power supply. Don't know if any HVers have tried this one.

Since I made today my last day since I was only a temp and wanted a week off in between job. I didn't get the pdf I made of the schematic but I did draw this up of the snubber that was used across the igbt bridge. The cap was the only value I remember. I'm sure values differ depending on bridge voltage and frequency.

There was also another snubber with a higher parts count I found but it was an old power ten product and there was no schematic availibe. Problem with Elgar is theyve had so many diffrent people in and out doing layouts plus new managment about a year ago that all thier boards and schematics are half in Pcad and Half in PADS. Anyway enough rambling. Here is the drawing. You'll probably have to do a search on how to calculate it.
ragnar
Fri Mar 30 2007, 09:38PM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
Whoa, being able to see their guts must be really handy if (IF, not when ;) it ever fails, for some diagnosis.
hvguy
Sat Mar 31 2007, 12:03AM
Thanks for checking. That circuit is what’s known as an RCD snubber and is fairly common in full bridge inverters. I did try that arrangement but found just the cap to be more affective.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: