Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

PC Power Supply Hacking - 50V Output

first  3 4 5 6 
Move Thread LAN_403
Marko
Sat Mar 03 2007, 12:44AM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Em, hi guys...

Well, best I can think of that it is a simple overload occuring during the conduction cycle since only one cycle is used instead of two. If you're worried about that you can scope the halfbridge, current transformer and the output and see how it looks.

*edit* As far as I know, the yellow toroid thingie is a proper filter choke and would (does, even) function as a forward inductor. The multiple windings thing is just a cheap money saving trick. Because all the rails come off the same transformer, the voltage waveforms on them are identical in shape, so the same inductor can (sort of!) smooth them all, if you make the turns ratio on the inductor windings the same as on the transformer windings.

That's what I guessed at first, but existence of ''normal'' ferrite inductors in series with it is controversal for the low-cost theory. Nobody would put two different types of inductors if he wants to save money..? (as in schematic Link2 )

Yellow inductor is also quite lossy at these frequencies, but this probably only comes out at very high output currents. So meh.. neutral
Steve Conner
Sat Mar 03 2007, 11:08AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
I'd guess that the two series inductors should have a capacitor to ground between them, which would make it a LCL filter. The schematic guy probably forgot it.
Marko
Sat Mar 03 2007, 01:25PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
I'd guess that the two series inductors should have a capacitor to ground between them, which would make it a LCL filter. The schematic guy probably forgot it.

He didn't; what you say is true only for 5V rail, and schematic seems right compared to other schematics I have and real PCB. It's probably some kind of factory thinkerness I don't want to be bothered with, so thanks anyway.

thedatastream
Sun Mar 04 2007, 10:13AM
thedatastream Registered Member #505 Joined: Sun Nov 19 2006, 06:42PM
The yellow coil is a powdered iron toroid which is used as a coupled choke. This aids cross regulation between the outputs when one output is loaded and the other isn't. Basically it is a current sharing choke.

From what I've seen in PC power supplies, they don't use an LCL, they use: transformer > diodes > coupled choke > single choke > large capacitor > maybe another capacitor or a preload resistor

I'm not sure that the output rectification makes a difference but I'll keep it up my sleeve if nothing else seems to do the job. Will have a tinker when I get back to work and see what we can do!

Thanks
James
Ken M.
Sun Apr 08 2007, 03:10AM
Ken M. Registered Member #618 Joined: Sat Mar 31 2007, 04:15AM
Wow this info helps alot! Thanks guys! Well It worked great until I discovered my PSU HAD a pot that let me adjust 12v+ between 11-13v I replaced it with a bigger pot, found the short circuit protect transistor, PARTIALY disconnected it and could get 11-18v+ and -12v for 11-30v..at least till the golden rule of electronics was broken (I can't remember the name of the rule) "ALL Electronics run off smoke! IF you let the smoke out the device will no longer work!" angry So as a result the excesive +V split the transistor in 1/2.
ragnar
Sun Apr 08 2007, 04:50AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
I hacked my first TL494 supply last week... it was too easy -- I just put a fixed resistor in series with the existing feedback on pin1, then replaced the smoothing capacitor on the output with one with a more suitable voltag rating. Voila, 18V at 5A, and they only cost me $20. Now I can run my IXDD414s from it.

Though in reality, I'd really much prefer to have 24V, the transformer starts squealing at 19V, so I think a rewind is in order.

^_^
uzzors2k
Sun Apr 08 2007, 09:43AM
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
Yeah, PSU modding is surprisingly simple. However to get any lifetime out of it, a rewind and lots of component replacement is necessary, which makes building your own smps from scratch worth the trouble.
thedatastream
Mon Apr 09 2007, 01:22AM
My modification was performed with no rewinding of the transformer - only the choke had turns removed and the output rectification was changed.

Glad to see that this mod is coming in useful
ragnar
Mon Apr 09 2007, 05:45AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
I hope I don't sound too thick when I ask: why did you take turns off the choke and alter the rectification? Did you put a voltage doubler on the rectifier?
thedatastream
Tue Apr 10 2007, 01:57PM
wrote ...
I hope I don't sound too thick when I ask: why did you take turns off the choke and alter the rectification? Did you put a voltage doubler on the rectifier?

If you look at Link2 you can see that the rectification has changed so that it uses each end of the transformer outputs instead of the centre tap. I didn't use a voltage doubler

I didn't remove turns from the choke, I removed windings - specifically the 5V, -5V and -12V ones. I used the 12V winding unmodified as the output choke.

Webpage Link2
first  3 4 5 6 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: