Alfons (36)
Coronafix (51)
AmonRa (44)

Next birthdays
05/11 ramses (16)
05/11 Arcstarter (31)
05/11 Zak (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
Next topic »   

A working model of a electromagnetic mass accelerator of high power

Move Thread LAN_403
DerAlbi
Mon Dec 10 2018, 08:30PM
DerAlbi Registered Member #2906 Joined: Sun Jun 06 2010, 02:20AM
Holy shit cheesey sorry cheesey I really thought this was from our emails. I am so messed up.

I was angry because you wasted my time without having done accurate measurements before opening your mouth everywhere.
I formulated this part in an email, but decided to make it a part of the debunking for all to see because you were rude to Zuckerstange.
Your last email made it clear that you judge projectile energy based on impulse.
_Eugen_
Mon Dec 10 2018, 09:10PM
_Eugen_ Registered Member #57984 Joined: Thu Nov 19 2015, 09:44AM
Funny "sratch".

To V2006:
Sulaiman Ballistic pendulum with such energy it is dangerous to try
klugesmith good idea. But I have no money for such experiences right now.
I can be a little mistaken - you did not send the device for measuring speed

Actually there is no need in any device at all to distinguish such a difference in velocity.
You should only fire vertically and measure a time t when a projectile fall down.
Initial velocity will be simply g*t/2 (where g = 9,8).
Hope you would not claim old man Newton to be wrong :)

My accelerator layout can be significantly improved in the same dimensions.
There is still room for two - three capacitors 10 000 microfarads, 450 volts.
for the money that you spend, I would do even better
(from neighbouring thread)

etc

Your cannon is rather powerful and contains as many caps as ten of smaller coilguns of other gaussbuilders, so you could use it as source of materials you need so much. But what are you plannning to improve? More condensed energy will turn your 50kg device to wall-breaking cannon moved by wheels and four horses.
V2006
Tue Dec 11 2018, 08:05AM
V2006 Registered Member #61550 Joined: Thu Apr 06 2017, 03:23PM
_Eugen_: This is a good and objective way.
Launching shells vertically up I measured the speed of less powerful coils.
Launch a projectile vertically up from this powerful coil is not yet possible.
I could also launch a shell at a 45 degree angle to the horizon. And measure the distance of his flight. But nowhere to do it.
I have no money for refueling cars for long journeys.

If this model of accelerator will be supplemented by three or four capacitors, its weight will not change.
It also has a second coil. This second coil is not needed at all. A second coil was installed to compare characteristics. The weight of the second coil with fasteners is 5 - 6 kg, 5-6 kilogram is the weight of several capacitors 10,000 microfarads 450 Volts.
There will be only a destroyer of walls. In the same dimensions. Without wheels and four horses.

*In this, running vertically up complicates the situation. For example, it was noted that with a fixed accelerator, its performance is reduced to 10% of kinetic energy (depending on the degree of fixation). Surprisingly, the projectile energy is much higher if the accelerator has the ability to roll back!
DerAlbi
Tue Dec 11 2018, 11:42AM
Where do you come up with those bullshit numbers like "10%" if you cant measure correctly neither horizontal nor vertical??
Your acceleration is between 530G (for 380g) or 450G (for 450g). So shooting vertical instead of horizontal is a difference around 0.2%.
Have you thought of the fact that changing your measurement method changes the measured value more than the real value changes?
Use your microphone. It is precise enough and consistent. You can use it anywhere with no problem.

If anything, fixing the accelerator should increase performance. The energy spent to push the device backwards becomes smaller the less movement is done.
At this point i simply guess, that without the accelerators movement, the shot just felt less loud, so it must be less projectile energy.. right?
V2006
Tue Dec 11 2018, 01:20PM
DerAlbi: Nein.
10% of the energy is perfectly visible in the depth of penetration of the projectile into the ballistic clay.
For me, it was also surprising to see it (the fact that the rollback improves the performance of the electromagnetic mass accelerator)
DerAlbi
Tue Dec 11 2018, 01:46PM
The acceleration takes place in 10ms.
If your gun weighs 50kg, and the projectile 380g, then with 40ms exit velocity, a frictionless floating coilgun would move backward with a velocity of 0.34m/s (impulse conservation). During the relevant 10ms this is only a 3mm shift. In reality this is even less, because this assumes constant velocity and no acceleration (and as said, neglecting friction).
It is very likely that the gun-movement during the relevant acceleration time is less than 1mm. Basically less than the precision you can find the initial position.

Impact depth is not a relieable measurement and ideally only represents the densitiy differences between projectile and target.
Try to translate: Link2
Fluctuation in penetration come from various factors. Where you hit the target for example - The gun changes recoil, so it is impossible to hit the same place on target.
V2006
Tue Dec 11 2018, 02:09PM
This is another confirmation that your calculations are not true.
Projectile speed in the range from 62 to 90 meters per second.
I myself could not believe my eyes when I saw that the fastening of the accelerator impairs its operation.
Before launching the projectile at the door, I conducted 20 experiments with ballistic clay. With shells of various weights - from 380 grams to 550 grams.
I even made a special emphasis for braking the accelerator against the wall.
And I was surprised to see that the rollback is very necessary.
This effect is discovered thanks to you. I wanted to make the most effective launch.
I already have some explanation for this effect.
Perhaps not the best. But there is. Rollback accelerator improves its performance! Incredible.
TechNerd
Tue Dec 11 2018, 02:34PM
TechNerd Registered Member #2289 Joined: Thu Aug 13 2009, 02:49PM
I should have made a bucket of popcorn...!
DerAlbi
Tue Dec 11 2018, 03:23PM
So... you are recognizing a difference of +10% energy (=110%).
Energy = m/2 * v^2.

This means you observe a velocity (and impulse-) increase of 4.8%.
4.8% of your 62 - 90m/s is 2.88 - 4.32m/s.

So you are recognizing a change of around 3m/s with absolute confidence while you are actually unsure if it is 60m/s or 90m/s while it is actually just 40m/s?
Did i summarize correctly?

Must be my math, that is again flawed.
V2006
Tue Dec 11 2018, 03:41PM
fur DrAlbi: Nein.
I do not speak now about the speed range.

I am now talking about the fact that the possibility of a rollback increases the performance of an electromagnetic accelerator by 10%.
This is clearly seen from the depth of penetration of projectiles into ballistic clay — in the course of a great many experiments.
Video while I can not provide.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: