All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

X-Rays in small microwave bulb?

first  2 3 4 5 
Move Thread LAN_403
Physikfan
Mon Nov 21 2016, 11:38PM
Physikfan Registered Member #60240 Joined: Mon May 16 2016, 07:01PM
Hi Proud Mary

I try to give answers to your ideas.

1. You could use this apparatus to measure the strength of a magnetic field, correct
2. conversely measure a voltage, correct
3. With successive magnets you could bend the plasma flow into a helix, correct
4.to add a capacitor to make a resonant circuit.

In my opinion this may not work.
The velocity v of the ions is a vector.
If you change the direction of the ions by 180° you change also the direction of the Lorentz force also by 180°.

But you have also to consider what is the number of positive and vice versa the number of negative ions, ....
The electrons have higher speeds.....
You have to go deeply into physics to answer all these questions.

Regards

Physikfan
Proud Mary
Tue Nov 22 2016, 12:10AM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Perhaps my idea of a plasma helix tuned circuit wouldn't work, but you have to imagine these things first to make any progresss with an investigation, as I'm sure you'll agree. :)
klugesmith
Tue Nov 22 2016, 12:41AM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Uspring wrote ...
A comprehensive table of X-Ray attenuation coefficients is here: Link2 A barely 1mm thick aluminum sheet will e.g. reduce a 20kV flux by a factor of 2 or 5mm by a factor of 2^5 = 32.
Yes. The factor for 1mm of lead is much more than a million, for that voltage. The factor for steel is somewhere in the large interval between Al and Pb.

Uspring wrote ...
Wrt Poloniums OP, there is not much chance of X-Ray production if there is gas in the bulb, since it stops electron acceleration to high enough energies as hen918 pointed out. If there is glow only from the inner surface of the glass itself, electrons might have sufficient energy to produce X-Rays when they hit the glass.
I think the single-electrode Crookes tube depends on having some gas inside. Some of the RF current is ions which bombard the (cold) cathode and dislodge electrons. The Mean Free Path _for electrons_ is long enough for at least some to hit the envelope at full energy. The photograph here on Wikipedia Link2 shows the path of an e-beam in a space that is slightly gassy on purpose.

Physicsfan, are you equipped to extend Po's x-ray experiment using a high-vacuum pump and pressure gauge?
Physikfan
Tue Nov 22 2016, 08:53AM
Hi Proud Mary, Klugesmith

After taking a shower I believe that a part of your "idea of a plasma helix tuned circuit" could be realized.
First it should be possible to establish a stable plasma helix in a discharge sphere (as shown by Klugesmith) with a DC magnetic field and with a DC ion current.
Then one could imagine to modulate the ion current by an AC signal to measure the inductance of your plasma helix absolutely.
If this could be realized the next step should be to measure the inductance of the plasma helix as a function of the number of turns of the plasma helix.

These are my first ideas to the topic "plasma helix tuned circuit", (copyright Proud Mary).

Regards

Physikfan

Uspring
Tue Nov 22 2016, 10:15AM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
klugesmith wrote:
I think the single-electrode Crookes tube depends on having some gas inside.
Makes sense. Looking at X-Ray production: Mean free path is about 0.5um at room pressure. For e.g. 5 mm, which would be about the value required for full acceleration considering the dimensions of Poloniums bulb, you'd need about 1/10000 of room pressure or 0.1hPa. Todays light bulbs contain a lot more gas than that.

Physikfan
Tue Nov 22 2016, 01:14PM
Hi Klugesmith

"Physicsfan, are you equipped to extend Po's x-ray experiment using a high-vacuum pump and pressure gauge?"

I have in mind to do an experiment in the near future with a cold cathode discharge tube with pressure control (high-vacuum pump and pressure gauge) with different voltages (different electron energies) at low pressures.

Because of the negative current-voltage characteristic of such tubes, you can apply very high voltages to the tubes only at sufficiently low pressures.
The high voltage at the tube in my experiment shown above was only 4 kV due to the not sufficiently low pressue (really 0.03hP?) in the tube (the tube shows still one plasma ball).
Hopefully I will find a tube only with fluorescence and with no plasma ball (sufficient low pressure for higher voltages).
Bjørn
Tue Nov 22 2016, 01:48PM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
There is an old post on the forum somewhere that mentions that some small lightbulbs can have quite hard vacuum in them.
Sulaiman
Tue Nov 22 2016, 03:26PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
I think that to avoid plasma the physical distance between electrodes needs to be smaller than the mean free path Link2
e.g. 10^-3 hPa for 100mm = 0.1 Pa which is just beyond the reach of my dual stage oil sealed rotary vacuum pump.
(0.3 Pa if you believe the specifications)

vacuum lamps are still available Link2
P.S. vacuum types are good for wien bridge oscillator amplitude control etc.
gas-filled lamps conduct heat away from the filament.
klugesmith
Tue Nov 22 2016, 10:58PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Mean free path for electrons is much greater than that for air molecules, at the same pressure.
This fellow Link2 says his smallest DIY cold-cathode CRT could work at about 1 torr (100 Pa), and has pictures of one much bigger & better working no lower than 100 microns (10 Pa). He mentions "My reasons for building these homemade crt's should be obvious; certainly not to save money in building a TV set, but mostly because they emit a very intense fun field."

As Bjorn and Sulaiman said, it's easy to find non-gas-filled lamps today. I think C7 and C9 "Christmas lights" are in that category. Maybe also some lamps in MWO's, as demonstrated (?) in OP here. Might try breaking one under water, under a vessel to catch any gas bubble.

Here's a factoid I heard from an expert in the history of electric streetcars (trolleys). One common traction voltage was 600 volts. Cabin lighting was set up with 120 V lamps, in series-connected groups of five. Had to use special vacuum bulbs, not regular argon-filled ones. Then when the first lamp burned out, it could not carry an arc and melt the bulb or start a fire.
Sulaiman
Wed Nov 23 2016, 03:43AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
klugesmith, that is really great news for me !
I bought a dual stage rotary vacuum pump for chemistry hobby use when a single stage would have been enough,
but at the (excited) time of purchase I thought maybe I could play with vacuum tubes
(that is my excuse for the extra cost, and I am sticking to it :)
later I thought that it would not be useful for vacuum electron tubes due to the mean free path thing.
This information and the link have opened a whole new sidetrack in my hobby world. cheesey
Thanks

first  2 3 4 5 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: