Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
a.gutzeit (63)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

DRSSTC Tuning, UD2.7C

first  2 3 4 5 
Move Thread LAN_403
Blackcurrant
Fri Apr 29 2016, 11:13PM
Blackcurrant Registered Member #2989 Joined: Sun Jul 11 2010, 12:01AM
I can't see the under side of those caps but maybe
Solder a copper strip on to them so it goes out towards the bus, then fold it 90Deg and use the bus bolt holes already there. So the caps will be in the same place but sit higher up.

just for info
Link2
Fig2 near bottom
nzoomed
Sat Apr 30 2016, 08:41AM
nzoomed Registered Member #54503 Joined: Sun Feb 22 2015, 10:35PM
Hydron wrote ...

nzoomed wrote ...

Kizmo wrote ...

Yes the snubber/decoupling capacitors should be between low side side transistor emitter and high side transistor collector.

1461912471 599 FT176476 Snubber

If you place your capacitors between collector and emitter of same transistor very bad things will happen

Dont think this is even possible since both are connected internally and there is no connection possible.
Kizmo is 100% correct. On dual-IGBT bricks capacitor goes between C1 and E2, across the DC bus (skip the C2E1 connection that is one leg of the bridge output). On single IGBT bricks you need to connect the cap between the two bricks, across the DC bus connections (it ALWAYS goes across the DC bus).

edit: second set of scope shots look OK, I had similar questions when first starting to use CM300s: Link2

Yes he is correct, i was on a different wavelength sorry.
Here is a photo of my inverter ive just completed assembly of.
Orac12, you can see how the snubbers should be fitted to a Dual IGBT module.
I see yours are single modules?

1462005963 54503 FT176476 Inverter

orac12
Sat Apr 30 2016, 09:41PM
orac12 Registered Member #9879 Joined: Tue Jan 29 2013, 05:00AM
Yeah mine are single. Next one will use dual igbt module.

After re-reading the replies this morning it all makes a lot more sense and my original configuration was correct.

Now the snubber caps I have, I've made up of a series parallel string of 3x2 20uF 350VDC which gives 13.2 uF at 1050V.

Im not sure how having them in series will affect their performance but I suspect it will..

Should I be looking for something more suitable?
nzoomed
Sun May 01 2016, 10:44AM
orac12 wrote ...

After re-reading the replies this morning it all makes a lot more sense and my original configuration was correct.

Now the snubber caps I have, I've made up of a series parallel string of 3x2 20uF 350VDC which gives 13.2 uF at 1050V.

Im not sure how having them in series will affect their performance but I suspect it will..

I would recommend the Aerovox RGPB series 2uf 1000v, thats what ive got on mine and they seem to be very popular amongst coil builders.

More reliable to have a single cap rates at a higher voltage than stringing several together, however if they are good quality caps it should be OK.
orac12
Sun May 01 2016, 08:52PM
nzoomed wrote ...

orac12 wrote ...

I would recommend the Aerovox RGPB series 2uf 1000v, thats what ive got on mine and they seem to be very popular amongst coil builders.

More reliable to have a single cap rates at a higher voltage than stringing several together, however if they are good quality caps it should be OK.

I was going with the general rule of thumb 1uF per 100A, so that means I would need multiple anyway..
nzoomed
Sun May 01 2016, 10:06PM
orac12 wrote ...

nzoomed wrote ...

orac12 wrote ...

I was going with the general rule of thumb 1uF per 100A, so that means I would need multiple anyway..

OK, you may need more then possibly, i can see some 4uf on ebay but are only rated around 630v.
You could put 2x 2uf in parallel each side of the bus and you would get 4UF, which should do the trick for you.

meawoppl
Mon May 02 2016, 04:44AM
meawoppl Registered Member #57545 Joined: Wed Oct 21 2015, 01:28AM
In this link:
Link2

There is a weird "skip" where the 5th drive wave seems twice as long, then the whole thing is 1/2 cycle out of phase.
It seemed strange to me, and possibly indicated some sort of control issue...
orac12
Mon May 02 2016, 05:35AM
meawoppl wrote ...

In this link:
Link2

There is a weird "skip" where the 5th drive wave seems twice as long, then the whole thing is 1/2 cycle out of phase.
It seemed strange to me, and possibly indicated some sort of control issue...

I believe that is where the IGBT's are turned off, and the residual voltage in the MMC and such things rings back and forth through the free wheel diodes, hence it shows out of phase.

Thats how I believe it works, if anyone can explain it better than me then I'd be learning something.
Hydron
Mon May 02 2016, 07:21AM
Hydron Registered Member #30656 Joined: Tue Jul 30 2013, 02:40AM
orac12 wrote ...

I'd just go with what seems to work, if 2uF is enough to keep the ringing manageable then don't worry about stuffing more on there. Layout, inductance etc are probably far more critical than how much capacitance you have.
orac12
Thu May 26 2016, 11:54PM
With some diodes across the gate resistors in anti parallel has removed all switching spikes.
first  2 3 4 5 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: