Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
AlexRU73 (39)

Next birthdays
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
05/20 Vaxian (17)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Class E? Class E...

first  3 4 5 6 
Move Thread LAN_403
Chris_Knight
Sat Feb 27 2016, 07:22AM
Chris_Knight Registered Member #58280 Joined: Sat Jan 09 2016, 06:48AM
Does the litz wire help? I've always assumed that the primary has so great losses, what you save in the secondary doesn't make much difference. Plus, you're going to loose a good amount of RF energy heating up that PVC former.

I was unsure about the RFC too. The RFC blocks AC and passes DC. Therefore, the inductance of the choke has to present an much higher impedance to AC than the load resistance. I'm not sure what's a minimum acceptable value, Richie and Uzzors2k use 56/47 uH, like you said, but Reaching uses a 470uH, which is an order of magnitude difference.

One thing I do know that it's best to use a powered iron core that's rated for these frequencies, so type 2 is usually recommended. It has a very low AL value, so 470uH isn't that easy, I bought some 3" diameter T300 size cores that I have to wind ~200 or so turns to get 470uH. About 70 turns for 47uH though, which is more manageable.

I personally like to use mica capacitors or film capacitors, like PP or polystyrene.

For the DC blocking cap, greater capacitance can pass more current. So it doesn't hurt to have a higher value, but it probably won't make a difference.

That has an awfully high Rds(ON) @ .98 . You're going to have very high I2R losses.
ZakWolf
Sat Feb 27 2016, 07:50AM
ZakWolf Registered Member #3114 Joined: Sat Aug 14 2010, 08:33AM
Chris_Knight wrote ...

Does the litz wire help? I've always assumed that the primary has so great losses, what you save in the secondary doesn't make much difference. Plus, you're going to loose a good amount of RF energy heating up that PVC former.

I was unsure about the RFC too. The RFC blocks AC and passes DC. Therefore, the inductance of the choke has to present an much higher impedance to AC than the load resistance. I'm not sure what's a minimum acceptable value, Richie and Uzzors2k use 56/47 uH, like you said, but Reaching uses a 470uH, which is an order of magnitude difference.

One thing I do know that it's best to use a powered iron core that's rated for these frequencies, so type 2 is usually recommended. It has a very low AL value, so 470uH isn't that easy, I bought some 3" diameter T300 size cores that I have to wind ~200 or so turns to get 470uH. About 70 turns for 47uH though, which is more manageable.

I personally like to use mica capacitors or film capacitors, like PP or polystyrene.

For the DC blocking cap, greater capacitance can pass more current. So it doesn't hurt to have a higher value, but it probably won't make a difference.

That has an awfully high Rds(ON) @ .98 . You're going to have very high I2R losses.

Litz makes a world of difference when it comes to HF and skin effect. The primary will also be litz and be comprised of 19 strands of 32 awg wire.

From what I have been reading and understand is that the Rds on goes out the window compared to the capacitance of the gate. If the device cannot turn on/off fast enough the Rds doesnt matter.

I am just trying to get my cart all full so I dont have to pay twice for shipping on something I forgot to get

edit: litz also reduces the amount of heating due to the lower resistance of the wire at RF
Chris_Knight
Sat Feb 27 2016, 08:31AM
Chris_Knight Registered Member #58280 Joined: Sat Jan 09 2016, 06:48AM
Well I mean you want to balance both gate capacitance and Rds(ON). Both matter. Plus, your chosen transistor doesn't even have that low a gate capacitance. Total gate charge is 72nC, compared the 43 of the old IRF630, which has half the Rds(ON)! Plus, the IRF630 has less than half the switching times. The main advantage of that FQA11N90_F109 is the much higher Vds, but that really is pointless unless you're planning to run your coil at 700v Vcc or something. So I don't get it, unless I'm missing something here.

I'm not arguing that litz is better at RF. My argument is that in Class E sstc work, your savings in using litz are heavily outweighed by your losses elsewhere in the system. But I may be wrong. It's certainly worthwhile to try!
Wolfram
Sat Feb 27 2016, 01:32PM
Wolfram Registered Member #33 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 01:31PM
Chris_Knight wrote ...

Well I mean you want to balance both gate capacitance and Rds(ON). Both matter. Plus, your chosen transistor doesn't even have that low a gate capacitance. Total gate charge is 72nC, compared the 43 of the old IRF630, which has half the Rds(ON)! Plus, the IRF630 has less than half the switching times. The main advantage of that FQA11N90_F109 is the much higher Vds, but that really is pointless unless you're planning to run your coil at 700v Vcc or something. So I don't get it, unless I'm missing something here.

In class E amplifiers, the peak drain voltage is close to three times the supply voltage ( Link2 ), so the IRFP630 should not be used with supply voltages higher than approximately 60 V DC. The FQA11N90 could theoretically be used with supply voltages up to around 300 V DC, though some more safety margin is probably a good idea.
ZakWolf
Sat Feb 27 2016, 05:10PM
Yeah like wolfram said, when tuned properly the voltage is around 3.5 times the Vcc. Well how about this guy Link2 this is what Eastern Voltage uses in their coils.
ZakWolf
Fri Mar 04 2016, 06:52AM
Got it up and running, running HOT and off of 50v. Why is my IXDD614 getting so hot?
1457074274 3114 FT175492 Imag0889

1457074274 3114 FT175492 Video0243 0000000927

ZakWolf
Fri Mar 04 2016, 07:58AM
sorry for the double post wanted to include scope shot.

1457078190 3114 FT175492 Newfile1

Yellow: IXDD614 output looks bad.. not sure why.
blue: drain. MOSFET gets hot fast

I have 440pf of shunt capacitance, 100nf DC blocking and 6 turns on the primary 18awg wire. 30uH for my RF choke. Its wound on #2 iron powder good between 2-8Mhz. Would more inductance help ? I couldnt find any information on choosing a value

edit: the coil also make a high pitch noise, like a screaming sound although its not really loud. I thought 3Mhz plasma was silent
jdub1581hv
Fri Mar 04 2016, 02:54PM
jdub1581hv Registered Member #55219 Joined: Tue Jun 09 2015, 11:21PM
I'd say start adjusting your coupling, from what I understand it's fairly critical with class E.
You may also need more shunt capacitance.. Go to Steve Wards link I posted and compare scope shots, he explains how he tuned his.
Yet he is not using a choke or blocking cap.. so .. I think it's Thevenin's theorem that plays a role in his setup (equivalent impedance's).

So did you go fixed osc. or feedback driven? that may help as well, try direct/coupled feedback?
ZakWolf
Sat Mar 05 2016, 07:21AM
jdub1581hv wrote ...

I'd say start adjusting your coupling, from what I understand it's fairly critical with class E.
You may also need more shunt capacitance.. Go to Steve Wards link I posted and compare scope shots, he explains how he tuned his.
Yet he is not using a choke or blocking cap.. so .. I think it's Thevenin's theorem that plays a role in his setup (equivalent impedance's).

So did you go fixed osc. or feedback driven? that may help as well, try direct/coupled feedback?

fixed oscillation. ~2.88MHz.

switched out FET and got much better results ie. less heating. Tried mains and forgot to up my shunt capacitance which im sure cause a huge voltage spike killing the fet and shoring my IXDD frying both of the chips I had.

Ordering new parts..better ones?!? What would cause the IXDD614 to get burning hot olny after ~10 sec operation. I noticed that when the Fres. was below 1MHz the chip ran cool but and more then that and it got HOT fast. Im getting the TO-263-5 okg so I can mount it to the heatsink. Best results were about 1.5cm discharge with 36V unknown amp draw.

I will be back!!
Wolfram
Sat Mar 05 2016, 01:06PM
Wolfram Registered Member #33 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 01:31PM
What MOSFET are you using? At these frequencies, it doesn't take a huge amount of gate capacitance before the gate driver power dissipation becomes significant.
first  3 4 5 6 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: